Universal F1 2016 (by The Codemasters Software Company Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kraudi2k, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England

There is a brake and steering assist

2. Major Mark

Major Mark Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Hmm

After i played many hours in this game, i have some problem with it.

1.Lame AI - The very hard looks like very easy. And the very easy.. i dont know what players cant beat this level.

2. Achievement loop. If i multitaks or open the game, i alway see the completed achievement notificaton. Very annoying.

3. Galley

Galley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I haven't tried my iPad, only Apple TV.

My Nimbus worked fine last night, but today I was having issues. I force quit the game and then the controls worked again. It seems to have problems with the analog triggers. Also, I was able to use the B button to change the views, but couldnt do it again later. :confused:

4. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    I don't think it's the Nimbus because many people are reporting their controllers don't work with this game.

I can play all the other MFI controller supported games on my iPad right now, and the controller is up to date.

I don't think it's been baked in, because there is no mention or glimpse of it at all in the options.

Probably an update will need to pipe in for the game.

5. Admiralbison

Oct 31, 2016
    Are you playing it on the Apple TV (like it's installed on that device)?
    Just want to be clear in awe you maybe streaming to the Apple TV instead from an iOS device.

6. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Yes it's installed on Apple TV!
    Not streaming from idevice

7. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Same here, every time I open the game, I have to wait for ALL achievement notifications, and they are indeed very annoying

Anyway, with all the cons I have against it, F1 2016 is the only full and premium racing simulator I know about on iOS, and after @5 hours of playing I'm ok with its poor graphics, weak AI and (rarely) crashes. Could have been 5€ or 20€, I'm sure I would have buy it anyway since I don't see any alternatives for it

8. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Just been playing a few laps on Apple TV with a Steel Series Nimbus and I think I prefer playing it on the iPad with tilt controls. I found the steering controls to be way too sensitive (for my liking) and not convinced there's a way to recalibrate (there is a steering sensitivity option but it seems to have no effect on the nimbus). I was finding that around low speed corners in particular that almost any input felt like full steering lock was being applied, very difficult to drive a neat smooth line. Hopefully this might get addressed in an update because otherwise it seems pretty good.

9. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Yeah achievements popping up each time I start game, is annoying.
    Sometimes I'm 5 minutes into playing a race, and achievements pop up across top grr!

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Another one hating this.

And for those who are still skeptic about the performance, let's do a Monaco, which is definitely polygon-heavy track. Again, don't let my pathetic lame driving skill get in the way:

Thanks for viewing. I did that using my 6S connecting a MBP and record it using QuickTime only. So, it is not of top quality. Again, please bear with me.

11. myopicpaideia

myopicpaideia Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2012
    CFO
    Sweden
    Pretty Good 1.0 release!

Giving it 4 out of 5 stars. By far the best racing experience on iOS right now, and the season option is great. Of course there are compromises. Car setup and controls are simplified. They had to design with the lowest common denominator in mind, so no manual gear changes. Pit stops handled through a menu. No weather changes or wet weather tires.

However, the actual driving experience is very good. As mentioned by others, the sense of speed is better than for example, RR3, with the caveat that in RR3 you are usually driving slower vehicles, so it kind of makes sense. Driving the modern Ferrari F1 car in RR3 still doesn't give quite the visceral feel that F1 2016 achieves right out of the box.

The actual gaming experience is also in a completely other universe. Imagine RR3 with no timers, no currency, just proper racing competition. Then imagine it was only F1 cars, on F1 tracks. It is really what sets it apart from every other "premium" racing game out there.

The graphics are not as good as RR3. I am on a 9.7" iPad Pro, an Apple TV 4, and an iPhone 7, and the graphics are good, as in good enough that I don't think about them. The frame rate is very smooth on my devices.

Braking is in fact pretty hardcore and twitchy. I have found that applying a short tapping technique is by far the best way to go, and that if you are using the dynamic racing line, you can learn braking points for all the tracks pretty quickly, and the best feature about the dynamic racing line is that the accelerator/braking color indicator real time dynamic, so you can get a feel about the amount of speed you could and should be carrying through corners when you are learning a circuit.

For a good challenge I recommend turning off all assists and leaving the dynamic racing line on for practice sessions, but then turning off the racing line for qualifying and the race.

As far as the rest of the controls, I have found that I unfortunately have to leave auto acceleration on when playing on the iPad Pro, because the accelerator and brake controls are too far apart to thumb them easily, which is not a problem at all on the phone, and I am using the Steel Series Nimbus on the Apple TV. Otherwise my favorite device to play on would be the iPad Pro. Hopefully they can fine tune the controls for the different devices and maybe even include manual gear changing as a option if using a MFi controller. (Plus they apparently have to fine tune the MFi controller support going by others comments here).

The biggest disappointment actually for me personally is the lack of cross platform online multiplayer. That would have been the ultimate killer feature for me.

The driver AI is also really in need of an upgrade. I did a 50% race at Suzuka, and was running in 13th position with Jenson Button's McLaren Honda. 11 laps in there was an incident where Marcus Ericsson crashed at the final chicane, and the entire field stopped because he was in the way. They ended up blocking the pit lane as well, so I had to take the escape route chicane every lap to avoid it and won the race by 17 laps. Completely ridiculous.

All in all - really enjoy the experience, but there are a lots of bugs and tweaks needed, especially to the driver AI, proper MFi controller support, adding cross platform multiplayer support, and fine tuning of the controls. For a 1.0 release though, I am loving it! It is worth the money as is and being the only real F1 racing game on iOS, it has given us racing fans something at least to enjoy.

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    For MFi controller support on iOS devices, my HORIPad is not working with it. Shame.

13. Admiralbison

Oct 31, 2016
    This game has no MFI controller support on iOS devices.
    Horipad, steel series Nimbus. Gamevice etc..

14. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Game finish ??

Where is career mode ? Where is replay after race ? Where is good graphics like in video pub on AppStore ? Where is simulation driving experience ?? Where are you , codemasters ??

15. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    The fun aspect makes the game, best gameplay, the graphics are okay but do graphics matter that much and I got feeling codemasters will update few things hopefully, but so far easily best racing game of the year

16. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Despite my reservations from yt videos and people's thoughts on here, I took the plunge today.

Must say, I'm pleasantly surprised too be honest!

Graphics

Not the best on my iPad air2 (look like a PS3 game), but more than acceptable all things considered. Frame rate isn't super super smooth, maybe around 30 I guess. But overall it's pretty solid 8/10

Controls

This was maybe most surprising. Most racing games are hard to control on touch screen with both tilt and touch having their drawbacks. I opted for touch with braking only and no assists* and was surprised how nice the controls felt. Right off the bat I wasn't sliding left and right all over the track, the input was nice and smooth.

* even though assists were off, there is definitely some help going on, probably with the acceleration I think. But I really like the feel of coming into a corner and you almost tapping the brakes to get the speed down to the right automatic cruising level, rather than braking in the traditional sense. That's the best way I can explain it, whatever, it works. So just remember, tap tap tap on the brakes, rather than just jump on them and hold braking down. I found that worked best.

AI

Again, was concerned about this before hand and still am to a degree, but all the videos I've seen have been in Mercedes so you putting the best and fastest car out there and moaning it's too easy. I tried races in force India, haas and red bull and really didn't dominate. I qualified verstappen 8th and had a decent battle to get much higher. I certainly didn't pile through the field (on hardest difficulty) as I expected to, so there is some hope there.

I still say they need to look at the AI and making it harder over all though for sure.

Modes

Probably enough modes for a mobile game. Would I have liked a career mode? Of course, but season and time trial will keep most busy. The weekly events are a cool idea, but ultimately will be pointless due to hackers and stupid quick times.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this so far and it's a solid 7.5/8 out of 10.

17. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    I'm playing this on a 7+ and it's awesome. Graphics look great, frame rate perfect and the sense of speed is fantastic. It is super fun and that's what matters the most.
    I really think you need the best hardware to fully enjoy this. I can hardly see how people would complain if they were playing this on an 7+

18. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I'm in the same boat although I haven't actually taken the plunge yet.

A YouTube video is always different versus viewing it on the actual screen of the device.
    Guess the graphics aren't rendered at native retina resolution?
    How is the aliasing?
    To which other racing game would you compare the graphical fidelity judging it directly from your iPad screen outside of YouTube?

19. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I noticed that when you want to pass another car in a corner on the inside, the AI keeps following the perfect raceline and bumps into your car everytime instead of letting you through. Great game but AI needs improvement.

20. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    It's hard as It's probably not as pretty as RR3 is at times, but still more than acceptable and the sense of speed is excellent.

The other cars can lack a bit of detail at times when at a distance but I think the track detail etc is really good given it's just whizzing past.

AI really is the sticking point tho. Besides being too easy on the hardest level, they do so dumb stuff at times like slow down for no reason or just wiggle across the track.

It's just hard to be too unfair on it given what it DOES do very well for the hardware it's on.