Universal F1 2016 (by The Codemasters Software Company Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kraudi2k, Nov 10, 2016.

1. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I really wanted to like this - and looks like there is a lot to admire. The graphics and frame rate are decent on good devices, all the current tracks and teams etc.

But the digital acceleration/braking is going to be so bad for this without some support (would be interested to hear how it plays with some assists on especially for braking - whether that softens up the braking ON/OFF a bit?)

The biggie for me though looking at the videos is the AI looks AWFUL. Video on YT of someone starting last and by the 3rd corner they were up to 7th on the hardest difficulty :(

Gonna give it a miss at the £10 price point.

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Only for the weekly event. I've been playing offline all night...
    This is easily the best F1 game on iOS and the best that Codemasters has done on mobile. I wish the brakes were better sorted, but otherwise it's fantastic! Graphics are grainy, is the best way I can put it.. There is a lot of detail, but it's a style that looks dated. Glad I bought this.. Having a lot of fun in the championship

3. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Hey devs can we have MFI support please?

Just peculiar you had it on F1 Stars but not this one.

It would add the "ultimate controls"

The Gamevice is out for all the iDevices and this would fit so well with that controller.

You should check it out and you will understand the appreciation, which I believe will make big difference to this game.

Thank you.

4. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    This is the best racegame on ipad for the moment. I play on an ipad pro 12.9, against easy AI, no assists, manually gas and brake. Contols are great, steering wheel with touch slide is very responsive, it takes some time to get used to but now I make rarely make steering faults. Most race games are frustrating, but when you put on racing line in this game, you can take most corners almost perfect.
    Car is higky detailed, the parcours is a bit pixelated but above all this game is fun and I already had some epic fights for first place. Great game, I bought also Rome TW and Heist but this game got me nailed to my ipad.

5. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Hello, even my steelseries nimbus doesn't work,
    It's strange because it works on Apple TV but not with Iphone (6s) and iPad Air 2

6. balonchiks

balonchiks New Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Lucky you are :D :

[​IMG]

7. Dahaka

Dahaka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    So I bit the bullet and with a refund in mind I tried this game.
    To start off, my Logitech PowerShell controller did not work with this game. None of the buttons worked, not in the menu's or in actual racing. Huge turnoff for that, and my #1 reason to refund this game. For a very premium price I expect this stuff to work.

So how does it play's with the touch controls? I did not bother with any of the beginner setups and only tested manual steering, breaking and acceleration. The controls definitely work, but I have to say on an SE the screen is too small to comfortably and reliably control the car.
    You will get around the track, and have some decent experiences with it, but for serious competition on higher difficulties it's just not good enough. Maybe if you're playing on the plus models or iPads this is not an issue, but on the SE there is just to little room on screen for this.

On the performance side of this game, it's a big of a mixed bag.
    Framerates are (on the couple of tracks I tried) largely ok, not a full 60fps but definitely playable with a good sense of speed. I guess the lower resolution of the SE definitely helped here, so I cannot vouch for performance on 4,7 and 5,5 inch models.
    The image quality is okish but certainly not great. As we all know this game was announced as a true iPhone 7 game so the best image quality is obviously on those phones. Non the less, the chips in our 6S or SE's are no slow ones either, but you can definitely see degradation in image quality. The biggest flaw on older devices is that the more advanced lighting is missing and the game looks very flat as a result. No ambient occlusion that ads some shade in the corners ect. Combine that with no anti aliasing at all and the general presentation is not that great, but certainly not bad for a mobile game.

Gameplay wise I think they did a pretty good job here. There are tons of different modes to play and giving that this is a full licensed game, you have all the F1 branding which really ads to the experience. There are definitely some differences between the console versions like the lack of the full career mode. But given that in general you play in shorter sessions on mobile, I argu that it's not that much a problem. Pitting is also very different. You don't see the full pit crew making all the changes. Instead, you see a good designed menu that quickly let's you make choices about your car(tire pressure, different car tunings) which works quite well on mobile.

In conclusion, for me I have mixed emotions about this. For the premium price of 9,99 it should work with any mfi controller out there. Also, the touch controls should work flawlessly to compete on the highest difficult levels. It's not a casual racing game like the Asphalt series, with you can forgive iffy controls when you look at pricing (free). But if you can master the touch controls, the racing experience itself is pretty great. The sense of speed is very well done, and at time you do feel like in controll of a F1 car. But in the end, I don't think it's worth the 9,99 (certainly not if you expected to play this with a controller) and I might pick it up again when it eventually will be on sale.

some screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #68 Derprozess, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    I got it for iPad Air (1st gen) too, I think graphics (especially at night) are horrible for this device; maybe I had great expectations because of RR3 graphics on Air, but I agree with you

9. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    After a race, where it shows you finishing leaderboard and a background view of an external camera, and you still feel the haptic feedback from your car as it goes over rumble strips somewhere on track.... you can notice that each time the haptic feedback comes on, there's noticeable lag... even though it's an external camera view, from afar.
    Goes to show that the haptic feedback is tonblame for the lag... as game is fine and smooth when no haptic

10. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I got some screenies to post and they look nice... keep getting error when upload though :(

11. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    agreed. actually im a huge fan for a heavy graphics games, but some of them can offer great gameplay that makes me forget about the graphics. this game is one of them and i can say that the graphics are great(not amazing) enough for me. this is easily can become one of my favourite racing games along with real racing 2, rush rally 2, and the asphalt series.

ps. anyway im still struggling with the non existence of brake and steering assist :p

12. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Same horrible on 6s !!!!

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #73 currymutton, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Compare F1 2016 with RR3 (iPhone 6s)

I have added more info about the options available in the video.

Again, apology for being a pathetic poor driver. How close are each game, you will be the judge:

It is fair to say RR3 has improved over the years but I personally find, even though it flows smooth as silk, it still does not feel right, especially when it comes to the sense of speed. It is most pronounced when my going at almost top speed down Eau Rouge and then zoom uphill (at about 1:54 for F1, 0:25 for RR3). I really don't sense that kind of speed change in RR3 at all, but in F1, it is a heck of a ride.

14. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    6s Plus. It looks amazing. It also looks great on AppleTV.

15. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I tried to sync both videos up, and managed to get them close enough to where the car in the F1 video was almost exactly in the same place as the white car in the RR3 video for the whole race. It was like splitscreen multiplayer, across videogames. It's cool how close the track measurements are for both.

16. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    This game great fun, more so than the waiting game real racing 3, the graphics are pretty good don't see an issue with it, up there with best racers out there

17. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I have the Steelseries Nimbus controller, and can't get it to work with the game on my iPad Pro?

Does anyone have the controller working on any device beside the Apple TV?

18. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    That looks quite good indeed.
    Was a bit underwhelmed with the iPhone 6S graphics. It looks very flat.
    Compared to Real Racing 3 vs F1 2016 videos from curry I must hand it over to Real Racing 3 in the graphics department. Maybe F1 2016 scales everything down / turns graphical features off more than Real Racing 3 does on older hardware?

Having the iPad Air 2 myself I'm going to see if there is some actual gameplay footage out there on that device hoping for the best!
    If the (Spa) track looks the same as on the iPhone 6S, I am not convinced enough to pay 10 euros for this.

19. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm playing on an iPad Pro 9.7 and first impressions are really good. It's a different graphics style to RR3 so not easy to directly compare. So far I've just done lap after lap of time trial around Silverstone (something that as a fan of racing games that I'd love to be able to do in RR3) and the graphics seem to use a different colour palette, a little less bright perhaps (and anyone who has ever been to Silverstone will know it's not always bright blue sky there!).
    I always use tilt steering on phone/tablet racing games and the advanced tilt set-up seems fine (although I'd definitely suggest nudging the sensitivity slider up a bit or you'll be waving an ipad around like a crazy person) and the braking takes a bit of getting used to after playing a lot of RR3 (it's probably very realistic).
    TIme to try out a quick race I think...

20. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Just done a couple of quick 3 lap races round Silverstone against easy A.I. and won the second one. A lot of fun (more so than watching F1 for sure!), this is going to get played a lot I think.

Will have to get around to trying the Apple TV version tomorrow.