Universal Eyez - Spatial Puzzle Platformer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by greyp, Feb 11, 2015.

1. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    #41 greyp, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Haha I know, chapter 3 can be really hard. But this game is not meant to be some casual puzzle game, and I believe if a player can reach chapter 3, he/she will probably be ready for the difficulty. If you find it too hard, you can try out the Hooded Girl IAP (a playable character). It is like an easy mode for chapter 3, with everything moving in 50% speed in blue eye and red eye modes.

Regarding why it is only you and me talking in this thread... Well, I guess it is really hard to do user acquisition for indie devs like me, especially when the game is neither featured on app store nor covered by major mobile games media... But again, I'm really glad that you are enjoying this game, and please feel free to let me know if you have any further feedback! :)

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hiya Greyp,

If you send a promotional code to TouchArcade for the inapp purchase I think there is a high chance this will get reviewed, from what I have played so far it seems like it definitely deserves to be.
    I intend to purchase the full version as soon as I have some time to actually play anything.
    Keep pushing, I reckon this game deserves some publicity.
    :)

3. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Hi TheGreatEscaper, thanks so much for your support! Actually I have sent emails to TouchArcade but never got any response. Also I can't find a way to generate promo code for IAP... I don't think Apple allows normal developers to do that at the moment... :(

4. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Okay the new update v0.9.8 has finally passed review and is now available! :)

5. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    This looks wonderful! Downloading now.

6. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Yeah, I'll keep that in mind, but it would feel like cheating, so I'll see how far I get first. There were a few times in earlier levels where I also thought I would not be able to finish, and I did, and that's what I love about game.

The new jump control is much better! Thanks for fixing that. I noticed that it's hard to find Eyez in the Appstore. If I search for Eyez it's the 14th result. I normally wouldn't even scroll that far down. The first result is "Eyes" and the second "Split Pic Collage". I have to search for "eyez spatial" to immediately see Eyez in the results. I don't know if that's something you can fix by adding keywords or something like that, but I would look into that if I were you. It would be a shame if people can't find the game when you do get some press.

7. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I know, and that is what I hate about the App Store search algorithm. It seems that the algorithm treats the word "Eyez" as the misspelling of "Eye", and thus other apps with the keyword "Eye" that have higher download numbers and user ratings will show up first. On the contrary, in Windows Phone store or Google Play, if an app's name is an exact match of the search keyword, it will be listed in the beginning of the result. Probably Apple does that intentionally, since there are so many apps in App Store, but it is really annoying to me.

Meanwhile, if you type "Eyez" and wait for the auto-completion to show up, the first option is "Eyez spatial puzzle platformer". That at least will lead you to the download page of the game. I guess the ranking of Eyez in the search results will get better as more people download and rate the game... :/

8. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Hope you enjoy the game! And please feel free to let me know if you have any questions! :)

9. loptr

loptr Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Information Architect
    Singapore
    Played this and bought the full game. Halfway done now. Really innovative gameplay mechanics, and tricky puzzles. Right up there with Portal and Braid.

Only minor complaints so far are the graphics and UI design, which are a bit basic at the moment. Dev, if you want to collaborate with an artist I can hook you up. ;) yeah I almost passed up on this because of the art style, but I'm glad I didn't. Very original.

The story, I just skip; I'm not really into it. Just want to play the game.

10. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    #50 greyp, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Thanks very much for your support! And I'm glad you are enjoying the gameplay part!

To clarify, I was collaborating with an artist who worked on the animations, the cutscenes and the level backgrounds, and I think she did a good job. If the game doesn't look good enough to you, it is most probably because I didn't have the technology power to brush it up to the level of games like Braid -- I didn't build the engine from the ground up after all (I am using the MonoGame framework), and didn't have enough time and resources to dig deep enough into computer graphics technology (I majored in Architecture in college, not in Computer Science). This game was my MFA thesis project, so the focus of the game is on the gameplay mechanics... :)

11. loptr

loptr Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Information Architect
    Singapore
    Awesome I hope you got an A for it. :) cheers, mate.

Do you have a Twitter account or something? Tapping Developer Website on the App Store just launches Facebook for me and doesn't bring me anywhere.

12. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #52 TheGreatEscaper, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Hiya Greyp,

Buying the full game tomorrow after I get an iTunes card xD.
    Even from just the first few levels I want to say that it's very good. Like, brilliant. Like, as loptr said, Portal brilliant (haven't played braid yet, shame on me, so I can't make a comparison here). :)
    The art I think is nice, the only problem I have with it is the 'pieced' feel of it. I don't know exactly what you used to put the art in the game but different objects have different resolutions which is a bit annoying sometimes, and makes it feel a bit seamed, pieced together.
    EDIT: one last thing is that the art feels sprite based. Tiles are obviously gridded repitively. Not a huge problem, but can make otherwise interesting art feel boring.

I know I haven't even played the full game yet, but just want to say that if financially the game goes well I would recommend a PC port. I would gladly pay for this twice, and I think this type of puzzler has a growing audience in PC gaming. If you touched up the resolutions, and got people to spread the word, this could be a big thing.

I know I don't have much new to say here since I haven't played the full game yet but I just want to show my support since this game is getting surprisingly little attention.
    I'll definitely be back on this thread soon to post my full impressions of the game, of course.
    :)

13. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    You can navigate to the Options screen and tap the panda icon. That will lead you to my portfolio website. :)

P.S. I just updated the marketing link on the app page with my portfolio website url. This change will hopefully become live within the next few hours.

14. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Haha thanks so much for your support man! :)

Like I said in my previous posts, this game was originally developed for the Windows Phone 7 platform, which has a WVGA resolution. Since I didn't create a second set of graphics resources for devices with bigger screens, the game could look a bit blurry on iPads since all textures got scaled up...

And yes you are right, I'd like to port it to PC if I have the time and resources. But currently this game is not generating enough revenue for me and as a result I can only work on it at weekends. Also as you might have known, redoing every texture in higher resolution is expensive and time consuming, so... well, we'll see how it goes...

Hope you enjoy the rest of the game and please let me know if you have any further feedback! :D

15. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Need to bump this thread again... :D

16. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Just want to let more people discover the game :D

17. chainsawash

chainsawash Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Well, glad I stumbled across this little gem. Don't think I've played a puzzle-platformer quite this clever since Braid. I like the art style, and it fits the whimsical nature of the story well. I think the levels could use a little variation in their look just to break things up a bit, but that's a minor issue.

I'm halfway through chapter 2 and so far the gameplay has been mostly cerebral, which is great for me since my reflexes aren't what the used to be. Based on some of the comments in this thread it sounds like Chapter 3 will really ramp up the difficulty so hopefully things don't get too 'twitchy'!

Hopefully more people find this, it's free to try so really no reason not to give it a download!

18. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks very much for your support! And I'm really glad you are enjoying the game! :)

The higher difficulty in Chapter 3 is more about accuracy and timing, but hopefully you can beat it with some help from the hints... And like I said in a previous post, the Hooded Girl (an IAP playable character) can also help lower the difficulty in Chapter 3, as everything else slows down when she's in the Blue/Red Eye modes. :D

19. greyp

greyp Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    #59 greyp, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Just published a new update of Eyez WP version, which includes the latest changes that are available in the iOS version :)

I also updated the OP with embedded app store page. If you like Eyez, please spend a little time and rate it! :D

20. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I'm in 3.5 now. I definitely wouldn't call chapter 3 twitchy, but unlike the previous chapters timing is important now. So far it's still doable for me and I'm not a very good gamer. I really appreciate the frequent checkpoints, that makes the difference for me between challenging and too frustrating.