Universal Eyelord from Secret Exit

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Frand, Sep 15, 2012.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    It doesn't feel too unbalanced to me (yet). I've been wrong before with these things though but this has more of a Jetpack Joyride reward system than say a Triniti one. I actually am properly enjoying it.

2. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Agreed.

It's a good game and is nice to pick up of one has a few minutes to spare here and there. However, the amount earned per game is woefully disproportionate to the amount needed for the upgrades. There's simply just not enough in the game to keep a person playing long enough to reach some of those targets.

There has been some comment about the "upgrade cost" in games such as PlicPlic but in truth those targets are reasonable and many have achieved them just through playing normally and in a relatively shorter period of time. Here, though, I just don't see my attention being kept long enough to make any true headway. Shame really but at least in this take on the genre there aren't any frogs... :rolleyes:

3. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

The game is not designed to give up all the nice things easily, some things are left as goals for the power players.

Also the amount of gold earned per game is greatly influenced by smart choices in boosts, upgrades and playing style.

As for the amount of content in the game, v1.0 has to start somewhere :)

4. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Well, I'm looking forward to where this game goes then, but perhaps a slight tweak to the cost of upgrades. I'm sure it'll make the whole thing a little more accessible.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

While essentially just a Zuma clone with a unique delivery method (spawning the eyeballs right there on the track, no need to accurately toss them from a distance), the game's theme style and polish make it really stand out! Also, at an initial price of FREE, it's hard to go wrong.

Truth be told, however, I would have preferred to pay a reasonable price up front to purchase the game, all of the base level in-game power-ups to be available freely once the required level is reached, and in general gear prices reduced.

6. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Agree with this. Although I did buy the coin doubler. I'd rather just have bought the game. £1.49 was quite expensive (in App world) whilst this is a great 69p game.

7. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Good to know! This is pretty cool. Gonna try this!

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Err, the term "power player" doesn't seem to fit for a marble popper. Then again, I have wasted plenty of time on stupid Flash games, so who am I to say. As far as the Jetpack Joyride iap comparison another player made, I can't quite figure out if JJ was balanced perfectly or if it was just so damn addicting that most people would end up with a pile of coins just by playing. I bought eveything without spending any money in JJ, but I also spent an unheathy amount of time playing it.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Has anyone here who has played Sparkle care to compare the two games? That was the last Zuma style game I put significant time into.

10. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep, similar - this one's just alot faster and frantic-er. Agree on JJ - spent so much time I had more coins than i could spend. This is very good fun. It's so fast mu kidz hate it. That is sometimes a good thing.

11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I hate to pile on, but ^this^...

I opened this game, was blown away (I'm a child of the 80s:D), finished my first game, saw the prices in the store... and deleted the game.

I'm not a huge fan of IAPs on principle, but a quick glance at my signature will prove that I'm not diametrically opposed to them. If they're present, I've got to have some hope of sticking with the game long enough to accomplish something without them, at which point I usually pick something up to say thanks to the dev for the product.

In this case? Well, I guess at free, you can judge for yourself.

DBC

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    To all the people buying "coin doublers" (in this game and others) yet somehow believing the game itself is balanced: think!

And in the end if you justify your actions by thinking the game's free and you'd pay two bucks for it anyway, well, if you can't see a difference between being charged an honest price up front and falling for being manipulated into paying, I doubt I'll be able to make you.

13. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Ya it is painfully obvious when playing a game like this, it feels like playing an arcade machine, it's designed to continuously take your money.
    It's disturbing to see games like this continuously being released, proving that the model is working, when this model is ripping off the very person who supports it, the gamer

14. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    It's funny you'd specifically mention doublers...

There isn't much that turns me off faster than the presence of doublers (non-persistent IAPs, and then doublers:rolleyes:;)). I'd swear I can almost hear the developer saying, "Trust me, you're going to need this..."

I hardly ever even bother downloading games with doublers, and when I do, it's only after I've ascertained that they aren't necessary to actually enjoy the game completely, which isn't very often.

After the first game of Eyelord I played, I figured out what the doubler was for...:rolleyes: Aaaand deleted.

DBC

15. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Got to level 8 and...........deleted
    I especially liked the persistent tips that directed one to ........you know

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I just want to add one thing to Gabrien's excellent (as usual) post: the game can always be updated to increase the cost of powerups. This is one of the (many) reasons the only iaps I've ever purchased have been expansions (Zen Pinball/Pinball Arcade tables, GOF2 expansions, etc). I won't even unlock a trial version of a game...apps can disappear from the store, restoring purchases doesn't always work...etc.

17. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I'll stick with it until I've got my £1.49 worth. I actually really like it. They've screwed up the pricing but I'm presuming it's pretty tough to make money at this game so they're trying something new. Fingers crossed it doesn't work.

18. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

I can understand that those players who finish a quick first game without going up a rank will feel overwhelmed by the store, but that first impression is not true to how the game is balanced.

Every rank you go up will give you at least 1000 coins as a reward, some give additional amounts of 5000 or more.

Improving your coins per session takes a bit of choosing the right boosts and upgrades. For example, upgrading the Golden Eye will have a significant long-term effect.

Most importantly, make combos and keep a Critical Streak going. A Critical Streak happens during Overload when you keep popping eyes really quickly. Every pop will then become a critical one (noted by a pop-up message and a bright blue splat), giving much higher points and also a lot more coins.

Also, some tips for improving your scores (which takes you up ranks faster, giving you those rank rewards faster):
    - Survive until the end of an Overload for a Perfect bonus (10 000 extra points, multiplied by your Overload Multiplier)
    - Critical Streak is your best friend. If you get the streak going, not only is each critical pop worth 50 points instead of the regular 10, but those are multiplied with the Overload Multiplier
    - Save your power-ups until the Overload if you can
    - Leave a power-up as the first ball on the track for life insurance. If the skull bites it, it simply detonates
    - Note that a closing gap bumps the entire track back a bit. Particularly during the endgame where the track is full and game over is near, try to create combos to buy more time

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    No popups, no adds and free...IMHO a heavy cool take on "Zuma" etc.
    Reached level 9 without paying, but i will buy something for sure.
    The Devs in the house so hear what i say: I love it !
    Fast loading, nice graphik, super responsive gameplay and a mega
    hammer soundtrack that keeps me coming back for more.

But i chime in for grinding to much. It is to unbalanced, also to me.
    Again, the Devs in the house so we'll see...and it's free.

20. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #40 Capricornman, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Yes it is fun
    Even if a person were to have the coin doubler would it still feel grindy? I refuse to buy anymore coin doubling in any game
    How many level are there?
    Ok I just redownloaded it! To be fair and nice to the Devs I'll give it a go again!!