Universal Extreme Gear: Demolition Arena (by Zero Games Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VirtualBoyFreak, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Pehel

Pehel Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Video Game Creator
    Paris area (in France, you know, Cheese and wine .
    But it can't :)

Like I explained in one of our Questions & Answers video, having a quite precise real-time calcultation destruction system is greedy for smartphones. (even the latest ones despite a lot of optimization work). So we had to make design choices.

We know that the game is graphically far from standards of latest racing games (especially Asphalt 8), but we had very few flexibility if we wanted to keep decent framerate. We know that some FX for example are a bit cheap or that the game is edgy, but Smartphones architectures are not very adapted for this kind of games if you want a nice destruction engine and we knew it from the start, but we made the choice to go for it despite this.

2. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    God bless developers who are able to ignore the cheap shots and regular freenium whining. One guy even called the dev greedy because he doesn't like the game? Come on now, have some respect.

3. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I honestly don't see any problems with the visuals. The first environment is a little empty looking but it's an empty hangar so that's what I would expect. The touch controls are great too by the way.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Perfectly understandable. Still an ultra fun gaming experience. Delightful destruction, very satisfying.

5. Pehel

Pehel Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Video Game Creator
    Sorry but English is not my native language ... is it nice or ironic ? :D

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #26 LordShad0wz, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    I love the game the way it is. The only thing I don't understand though is I get less points and damage when I hit a car at full speed than I do at lower speeds.

Other than that this game delivers on all the things I would want from a destruction derby game. I just want an update for the unlimited fuel. I want that as soon as possible. I hate energy systems. I just purchased the no ads since you said it will be in the next update. I can't stop playing since I downloaded the game last night.

This game really is a lot of fun. I've waited a long time for a great destruction derby game and this one is awesome!

I also appreciate that you are here talking about your game. Discussing criticism. Taking time out from your schedule to interact with us. I respect that so much and you are the type of dev I like to spend my money on.

Billy

7. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I'm calling out the disrespectful people who sit here and call a developer lazy, greedy and what not just because they don't like a game. Said developer is continuing to answer questions despite this junk being posted, which says a lot about the developer and shows how there are some real jerks that bring this forum down.

8. Pehel

Pehel Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Video Game Creator
    #28 Pehel, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    That's not normal ... Points are calculated based on this :
    - Speed of the crash
    - Parts you hit on your opponent
    - Combo (You hit a car, which hit an other car, so you earn points for the two crashes...)
    - Bonus for killing an opponent (or pushing them into water, fire, into space, into a mad amusement, etc ...)

Sometimes you can earn more points if you are at lower speed but making a combo or killing them. But in a global way, speed is an important factor. I will check this with team.

Thank you very much. Like I said everytime, I consider this as a normal thing. We need to know what is good with the game, and even more what isn't ! So that's the best way to have feedbacks and understand where (and why) we made some wrong things when designing the game.
    Yes, it takes a lot of time, but I consider it being useful time :)

It's a good habit some of our team members took when working at Eugen Systems (it was some years ago) on PC games. We had great community and it's important if you want to improve your games in a fast way.
    For sure, we can't listen everyone and put into the game everything people want but it's always useful to have players opinions to change all that could be :)

9. Pehel

Pehel Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Video Game Creator
    Oh OK ! Thank you :eek:

10. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I think this game is incredibly fun! Exactly what I've been wanting in a smash-em-derby and most importantly, I think the physics are great, as are the controls and that's so important in a game like this. I do agree that I wish there was a way to get unlimited fuel forever (even if you have to pay for it) and I do think there could be even more visual damage to the cars (I turned on the option for high visuals & damage but think those could be pushed even more) but these are small issues with what I think is one of the best demolition derby games out there! It's really great!!

11. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. I also like it very much. I would buy unlimited fuel instantly.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It would be super neato if people could actually read the thread first before commenting.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Read? What is read? Comprehensive reading is obsolete... :D

14. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I am level 3.

For giggles I had already purchased no ads. My next purchase will be the unlimited fuel. But I wanted to upgrade my new vehicle. So I said what the hell let's view some ads for coins.

You guys are ridiculously generous. I'm looking at 86,000 coins rofl. I just kept going and going. I had to see how far it would go. So with the coins I got from the no ads, subtracting those, it let me view I think 83 ads in a row rofl

Time to upgrade my ride!

I absolutely love all of the customization options and colors. I went with black, white, and red and had to make my number 69 lol

Billy

15. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Holy nuggets, are those comments always there?

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    How exactly do you earn gold playing the game?

I'm trying to figure it out. I've won multiple derbies but have only won cash.

Billy

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    So far the only thing I've done that's earned me gold is leveling up.

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I've not gotten any gold from leveling. I haven't gotten any from winning derbies. Argh! And I cannot upgrade my car to level 2 because it would require 1 gold for each individual stat. The store has them expensive. Only 3 for $2.99

I hope there's other ways to earn them. Heck they should make it so we have to watch three ads for one or something like that. I could live with that. I'd rather PLAY to earn them though.

Billy

19. Pehel

Pehel Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Video Game Creator
    #39 Pehel, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Every 5 levels + Daily rewards (Day 6 and 7)

And we're working on a new way to earn more gold in a next update by doing some "missions" :)
    (For example, killing 6 cars in a single game against AI or doing crazy stuff in a particular arena, etc ...)

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    A lot of love went into this game and feels like a true homage to Destruction Derby. However, this game is still a diamond in the rough and needs A LOT of polish in some areas.

Audio
    Instead of starting with my insights in the visual department, I'll start with the audio department.
    This is where the game REALLY suffers and needs the highest level of attention and priority, in my opinion.
    Despite all the crashes, debris and car parts there is no decent sound to represent all that beautiful destruction.
    Destruction Derby had far less visual destruction in some areas, but it all "felt" like total carnage because of the juicy audio feedback. Churning and bending metal and of course shattering glass like there was no tomorrow.
    Please, please, please have a serious look at this. It's almost as bad as the super dry and empty impact sounds from Gran Turismo.

Graphics
    1. The settings.
    -------------
    On both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus the graphics are set to the lowest of the lowest by default.
    Especially when you run through the tutorial these options cannot be accessed until you have completed a few guided steps of the tutorial.
    It's very understandable when you start your first round the graphics then look like -to quote from someone else's post- "as if it could run on a 3GS".
    This gives a very poor first impression of the game. When I was finally able to set the graphics to the highest, it looks really nice.
    Smooth curved vehicles, sharp textures, no aliasing. It was a sigh of relief to find out there are high quality assets under the hood.
    Perhaps put everything on high by default via device detection?

2. Visual feedback
    ------------------
    Although physical damage is very apparent and visible on the back and front of the car, the same couldn't be said to the sides of the car. This really could get some more love, especially as I often hit the sides of cars and not the front.
    Often I don't "feel" the actual impact of a big crash. It just "feels" like a kid with two toy cars and touching them together very gently instead of banging them together despite the high speed of impact.
    Maybe add an option for iPhone users to enable vibration upon heavy impact?
    Furthermore, the visual feedback of the score counter could be improved. Instead of just the score adding up, how about some extra feedback upon impact? For example: a brief extra line of text in the likes of "+200 side smash".

Controls
    The "left steering wheel + pedals" controls work surprisingly good, but when I switched to my iPad Air 2 they didn't scale too well.
    The pedals are fine, but the steering wheel is too far off from the edge of the screen. Really need to stretch my thumb in order to reach it and doesn't make for a very pleasant experience on the iPad.
    This is a huge shame, because switching to tilt controls (if there are any, didn't check) means I cannot play it proper while commuting to and from work.
    If there actually are custom place your own controls options, then you may disregard this of course. Didn't check let due lack of time.

Turning the game into premium via IAP
    This game has a lot of potential and I am happy to read the unlimited fuel IAP is on its way.
    Please don't make it too crazy expensive, or otherwise make a combo IAP deal for removing both the ads and the limited fuel to turn it into a full and affordable premium title.
    You guys have a true winner on your hands and I am looking forward to what feature updates will bring to the table.