Extinction Eclipse by TuanisApps: command the Human Fleet in this space RTS [Beta testers needed!]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jeudyx, Sep 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeudyx

jeudyx Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Developer
    Costa Rica
    Hi TouchArcade community! My name is Jeudy, head of TuanisApps, a small indie studio from Costa Rica. Last year we launched our first commercial title, Extinction Eclipse, a space RTS, on Steam and Nintendo Switch.

This year, we have been working on the port to iOS and we finally have a version to share with you all and get feedback!

Extinction Eclipse tells the story of how Earth started freezing because an unknown alien intelligence, the Harvesters, began building a grid of hexagons in the Lagrange L1 point between Sun and Earth. Your mission is to explore space, find asteroids to mine and with the resources, build your fleet and defeat the invaders.

The game has a Story mode with 6 different campaigns with different missions and goals.

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

You start the game with only a couple of miner ships and an exploration probe. After every mission, you keep the ships you built and the resources you gather, which you can then exchange for upgrades for your ships.

IMG_1455.jpg

At the beginning of each mission, you can select which ships you want to use.

IMG_1513.jpg

The game has the classic elements of the RTS genre: fog of war, mini map, resources and units management.

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

We also added an extended map which you can use to easily move selected ships on the world.

IMG_1461.jpg

Besides the Story mode, there is a Skirmish mode where you can configure matches with different goals, level of upgrades and fleet you wish to use, and the game will procedurally generate a different match every time.

This is the TestFlight link for the open beta test. I invite you all to try the game and give us your honest feedback (either here or through TestFlight). We are specially interested in knowing if the tutorial is clear enough regarding the touch controls, and the overall level of fun in the game.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/kJuUufBf

Depending on the test results, we plan to release the game before the end of this year (hopefully before December).

Thanks!

2. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for letting me join the Beta test of Extinction Eclipse.

I'm at an early stage of the game, but I do like games of this kind and it does look good so far.

You wanted comments on the tutorial and I have some minor observations.

1. When the tutorial is showing the two-finger gestures, it cuts to a white graphic box showing how to do so. I find it jumps to this box a bit too quickly, before I've had a chance to read the tutorial text.

2. There are a few typos in the text. In the tips, regarding the Science vessel, at the end it says 'It is capable of deactivating energy barriers and study the harversters'
    That last bit makes no sense, tbh, (and its spelt 'harvesters).

3. For the tutorial, once you've shot all the enemy, maybe point this out and ask if you want to continue - I spent a while expecting more, which never arrived.

3. For the campaign, I have only played one mission, the one where you have to build 10 fighters and 3 scouts. Just a suggestion, maybe in the objectives show how far you've got eg 5/10 fighters.
    Secondly, could the Scout be sent on 'Auto-scouting' where it goes off on its own, or maybe scout in a spiral round the space station? Its a bit of a nuisance having to keep prompting it.

While I'm on that, I find the time for double clicking to move stuff is difficult to get right, ie the times between the clicks.

That sounds like a load of moans, but in reality it looks like a great game and I'm looking forward to more of it. It just takes a lot longer to point out what are minor niggles.

Best of luck,

CJ

jeudyx likes this.
  3. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Anyone else testing this?

4. jeudyx

jeudyx Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Developer
    Costa Rica
    Thank you very much for the great feedback @candyjet ! we'll take a look at all the points you made.

5. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks,

I have now tried the first 2 levels of the Preparations Campaign. Level 1 is fine, build 10 fighters, 3 miners. No probs.
    The second level....!
    It is waaay too hard. You hardly have a chance to marshal the miners before the enemies pitch up. From then on, you're way behind the drag curve until the inevitable Game Over.

While it's possible I'm missing something big here, you seem to need far more metal than is easily available, and there is probably too much water instead. I've tried this level a few times now and have never got near succeeding.

In my opinion (it is your game however) you need,
    - fewer or slower enemies
    - more metal
    - much more time before the enemies pitch up.

Finally, when you hit the restart level having lost, there appears to be a glitch where the screen shows that you have the 5 miners that you started with (top right) but they don't actually exist in the game. I'll try to attach a screenshot in a moment to show what I mean,

CJ

6. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    5FFF8E8D-5F63-4FA6-81B3-3C8C1B358097.jpeg

No sign of the miners in the gameplay

7. jeudyx

jeudyx Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Developer
    Costa Rica
    Thanks for the glitch report, will check on it.

The idea of the second mission is that you bring up the 10 fighters you built on the first one so you can defend on the wave that attacks you while you mine enough to increase the fleet or even build a defense turret to help you defend, but we'll check the difficulty a bit.

8. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Ah, I've missed the bringing up the 10 fighters bit. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Cheers,

CJ

jeudyx likes this.
  9. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Yes, sorry about that. Once I found the 10 fighters to add, the level worked.
    My mistake.

jeudyx likes this.