Universal Exploding Kittens® - The Official Game (by Exploding Kittens)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I guess that's my opinion on this as well. I think this game will be great, but feel like they should have just kept it on the burner until at least online was in place (I'd love a single player mode as well).

And while I understand the enjoyment this will get for people locally, I think the app description should be a little more clear. Maybe noting multiple devices over Bluetooth. Some may still think it is multiple devices over the Internet and be left with a game they can't (currently) play.

With the huge Kickstarter, I don't understand why they released it so soon without everything in place. It would have made a huge splash if it had launched with online functionality (with solo play being a nice addition too).

2. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    It supports 2 to 5 players. Whether or not two players is fun I don't know yet. :)

3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    For 2.00 Im not going to hassle over a refund, but I really was looking forward to playing this. Unfortunately most of my gaming friends (actually all) are online in some way. I have the boxed game but have not had a chance to play it yet with my family at holiday gatherings and was hoping I would get a chance to play it on mobile. I hope that they will continue to progress the game by making it at least online PVP and hopefully AI.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The Kickstarter was for the actual physical card game, not this.

5. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    #45 Mince0, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Back on topic

I cannot recommend this game, the app description has very little information to suggest other players also require the game or if pass and play is a option. Therefore I'm unsure if further modes will ever make it due to many people being put off before the game manages to take-off.

That said this looks like it has a lot of potential and will be added to my wishlist.

Just tried convincing some colleagues to give it a try but had no luck.

Edit: just noticed the iap's are free which could make it worth while if you know you will eventually find people or get some use out of it.

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Ok, so, what are the free in app purchases?

7. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think there all the addition card packs etc from the physical edition? Can anyone confirm?

8. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    4 cards and a couple of avatar / sound packs

9. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    One of the pictures does say that you can play up to five friends in the same room. That probably should be in the app description.

10. DerDree

DerDree Active Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Has someone played this or the physical version and can tell if it is fun for 2 players? Its possible as I read but some games are just no fun with 2 players.

11. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    is it as good as card crawl. :confused::cool:

12. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Um...

WTH are they thinking? Is releasing this rev just a quick cash grab from the unwitting?

13. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    I have the physical version (both decks) and it plays just fine with 2 people. My GF and I play it all the time and it is a fun, fast-paced game.

14. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I just don't see how this game would be remotely fun online and why people would expect otherwise or even expect the functionality to begin with?

Half of playing board games is the personal interaction with friends and their reactions to things that happen in game.

At least with certain titles and platforms, communication is easily accessible.

15. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Lazy devs, man! <insert rolling eyes emoji>

It's too bad about the local multiplayer-only situation, but as long as it's coming, I'm sure it'll be worth it. In the meantime, I'll just download it to my work phone so I can have a device to hand to someone when I want to play.

16. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I live in a small farm town with very little access to anything cultural. Nearest place to get anything fun is over 80 miles away. Trying to find anyone that would sit down at a table and play this game without resorting to a revenge of the nerd montage is actually hard to do. I would kill for more options to play stuff like this with people online.

I have a copy of HeroQuest from the 80s, a Milton Bradley game. I apparently worship Satan because of it. That is the atmosphere. So shhhh, I'll take what I can get.

17. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    You are everything that's wrong with AppStore entitlement and you deserve NOTHING. But let me guess, you create opponent AIs while riding the bus. Get bent.

18. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.
    #58 imusic, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Meh, he might sound entitled but he's right. The fact is this game was released without online multiplay, without pass-and-play, and without single-player AI. 3 out of the 4 things that make porting board games to video games possible. (The 4th being local multiplay, which this does have.) The best ports have at least 3 of the 4. This has 1. That's a pretty severe red flag. That being said I bought because it looks funny and I'm hoping at least two of these functionalities will be implemented in later revisions. If not, I basically just threw away $2 (yes, even with the included IAP giveaways.) Not a big deal, but still sucks, and certainly worthy of a 2-star rating. Most of my friends are Android users. And the few who do have iPhones probably wouldn't buy a game like this. And I'm not about to start shilling random games to my friends. So yeah, at the moment, basically stuck with a $2 icon.

19. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I fell for it too. The devs got my $1.99. I have put a copy of the game on an iPad and two phones, so at least I can play it with my kids. It would be nice to be able to play it against Game Center friends, an AI, or even random pubbies though.

I guess that makes me self entitled douche bag.

20. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015

Open your mind there's many reasons