Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey thanks guys-- (and thanks for your patience-- hopefully by the time we launch Exiles, it will be worth the wait). The good news is we're hustling and the build we'll be showing next week at GDC will be our best yet. Still tons of work to do, but the further we get into it, the more we're excited about it.

Well, other than when this happens:

[​IMG]

Oops... (will be fixed by next week!)

2. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aaand now that's fixed. We're in good shape for GDC and will be sharing some of the reactions and happenings from the GDC show floor as they happen (and will update with some screens from the new build in the next few days).

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Epic published a rundown of what they'll be showing at their booth (where we'll be!) at GDC next week. We're still figuring out how to show an Exiles duel on the screen they've provided for us, so stay tuned (pics to come).

Here's their blog article on what's in the booth: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/experience-everything-unreal-at-gdc-2017

4. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    #164 nezuja, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    The design of the warrior is coming together nicely, I grabbed this from the Discord chat today. Hope Wiz doesn't mind that I'm sharing...

Attached Files:

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't mind at all! (but I don't see the image in your post?)

6. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    bah... I tried to load the image on mobile and it must not have worked. Anyways... it's been edited now to include the image.

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah I see now, thanks Nez. Mages just went into the game today! Pics in the Discord channel, and I'll post a few here soon!

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just back from the week of crazy at GDC (I think the TA guys are still there)-- the Exiles crew was demoing and boothing and showing the game to anyone interested:

[​IMG]

The build we took to the show had a bunch of new features in it, not the least of which was our 2nd Class-- the mage. I'm working on a new Dev Update this week that will dive into that Class and what it can do (and why you might want to play one).

[​IMG]

9. mazurbrain

mazurbrain Member

Apr 23, 2013
    WOW! Just watched the video. Bloody amazing. Art direction is fantastic. I registered on the forums and I'm really excited for this. I think this is the advent of mobile gaming 2.0.

10. Maeve2Win

Maeve2Win Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Can we get female char please >_>

11. Diggity Dan

Diggity Dan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Ninja (..no really I swear)
    [480] :: AZ
    Game is looking great! Very interested in the closed beta but couldn't find how to sign up. What's the best way to do that?

12. Sanderok

Sanderok Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Looks like amazing, just wait it, wanna tested and help to search bugs and other things

13. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    To sign up for the beta you should private message TheWizard on the games official forums and make the request there with your device name. Good luck!

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 3.8.17 with MAGES

Coming off of GDC and the chaos that it brings, I'm excited to post the biggest most packed with stuff Development Update yet. We start off with the article and video demo from Touch Arcade so you can get a look at where the game is at.

Some highlights from the update:

MAGES are in the game with all sorts of magey lootz

[​IMG]

The worldmap art got an overhaul

[​IMG]

PVE is up and running for realsies

[​IMG]

And all sorts of other looks at Exiles in this biggest update yet, including the loot inspector, a mini hunt and a buncha GIFs. It's really getting there-- hope to have you all smiting each other in short order!

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Two other pieces from the Dev Update to highlight:

1. If you haven't already, pop into the Discord channel we have set up and say hi. We've got a lively bunch and I regularly share work-in-progress stuff almost every day.

2. There's a player-run Exiles Subreddit rolling along too, for you Redditors out there...

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also, we're gonna need some help with particle effects on this game-- our team has (and wears) lots of hats, but we're light on VFX. If you all know good VFX people, send them my way!

(here's a bad-ish fireball effect to illustrate)

[​IMG]

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dev Update next week

We're cooking up another Dev Update for next week, but before we hit that, wanted everyone to know that some great ideas are percolating over on the forums and the Exiles Discord channel around the common card game that the peoples of Embermark might play in taverns, at court or on the street. There's already one early design doc there with a couple others coming, so if you fancy games-within-games, have a look...

18. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Wow, this really is going to have everything lol...mmm...beefy

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 4.4.17

I put up a big development update on the Exiles site-- bunch of new stuff to dig into now that we're past GDC and barreling down toward testing.

Some highlights:

(I've said this before, but...) What would a fantasy RPG be without TOMES?

[​IMG]

The way you'll navigate around the world got some upgrades:

[​IMG]

The Warrior features some new slice-your-face-in-half moves:

[​IMG]

and a ton more including a Legendary sword with a non-traditional blade, a Battle History so you can go through your accomplishments, and a card game played by those in Embermark that the community is driving forward.

And of course, moar (easter eggs, GIFs, a tee-shirt)! Check out the update HERE.

Like/hate/meh anything? Tell me, we're in that state where everything is coming together but nothing is set in stone!

20. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    In addition, the Dev Update features the first Legendary weapon shared, an ice sword that begins as a lowly dagger, but forms into-- well-- an ice sword (cooler Lore than that forthcoming!):

[​IMG]