Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. oheight

oheight Member

Jul 9, 2015

This is cool! Like tiny little buff Magnetos.

2. Vedymin

Vedymin New Member

Aug 31, 2016
    #102 Vedymin, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

Wizard, I have always loved dwarves. So here's my take on some dwarven lore. Dwarves have always had an affinity to stone, minerals, and crafting. In my mind, they not only have an affinity for it, they are born of it. The ancient God (insert epic dwarvish name) is a diety of stone and metal (mithril, maybe). Tired of only existing in a realm of other dieties, this God created a race of terrestrial beings in the image of him/herself. These beings needed to be solid, as the earth on which they would rule, strong like the elements that formed the caverns beneath the surface, hardy as the indestructible nature of mithril, and stubborn, so as to not be overruled by the other sentient beings. The ritual/ceremony creating these "dwarves" as he/she named them, continue to this day. Dwarven children are born of the Earth. Their parents pray to the diety, and when the child is born it is born of solid stone, and doesn't take its first breath until moments after birth, when it's form softens (only slightly) and becomes malleable flesh.

Something like that. Because of this dwarves should have several abilities that emphasize their affinities. They can transform their physical forms into avatars of their God, perhaps turning to stone, and then as leveling up, turning into mithril. Imbuing weapons with the power of the earth, or the raging fires at it's core. Passive benefits to certain things, crafting, harvesting/mining.

Physical appearance. Don't change anything, I love the stereotypical dwarven appearance. Always have. WoW, the concepts on this page, LoTR, etc. Beards, beards, and more beards.

This also doesn't at all cover their military or societal hierarchy. Just an origin concept. Let me know what you think!

3. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    This^

I completely agree and this dude clearly knows more about Dwarves than I ever will. But seriously, you know the saying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

4. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I don't have any ideas to offer other than wanting a dwarf so tough that he puts two scoops of diamonds (instead of raisins) in his breakfast cereal.

5. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    The Hunt!

For those interested the Wizard has put up a "hunt" for this game where you look through various EoE related sites for clues and answers with the winner getting a special item when the game launches.

This particular hunt is to find the names of the 6 ruins that can be found in the game zone of Anglon. They all follow the naming convention of "Ruins of ... " and your first clue is that one of them is called the Ruins of Ti'lin.

You've got 5 more, go find em! Details for the hunt found here. Happy Hunting!

6. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #106 Tychaeus, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Damn Solid.

Perfect,
    Great imagery and idea, even if it doesn't stray too far from the norm, I don't think we usually see Dwarves ACTUALLY formed from stone at birth etc. The idea of and upgradable "stone skin" and various "stone weapon" skills is pretty awesome tie in to this lore as well. And yeah...I think we can all admit....This guys knows more about Dwarven lore than anyone I've ever seen.

Oh and....I's loves dah biHrds too.

7. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #107 thewzrd, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Oh, we're planning on making them that tough for sure.

And great ideas across the board, thank you. We're weaving some interesting things into these dwarven variations on Embermark-- they'll look like you'd expect, but might not act the same in battle or lore. There's some more ideas running over on the Exiles Subreddit as well.

[​IMG]

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    And @Nezuja, that hunt is definitely on-- some are getting quite close and the lore behind those ruins will come to light soon...

9. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    #109 nezuja, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Sweet! Come join us people! Get some nifty loot when the game launches! Details for the hunt are here.

And if you've been following this thread and look forward to the game, check out the Exikes of Embermark subreddit for info on the game.

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Big Dev Update on Exiles coming tomorrow, with all sorts of details and imagery. In the meantime, check out the logo:

[​IMG]

Now we gotta change everything everywhere. /sighs but hopes you like the logo

I'll update this thread with the Update when we push it.

11. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    looks awsome can't wait

12. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Great logo! I love the bit of sacred geometry faded into the back ground especially. Bahdahbahpabah! Im lovn' it.

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 9.14.16

It's a big Exiles Dev Update this time around, with sharing of all sorts of stuff the team is cranking on.

Highlights:

TEH LOGO!

[​IMG]

TEH MAGE

(remember, out of the gate, you can choose Warrior, Mage or Rogue and there are 3 specializations you can pick and choose from with your Talent Points)

[​IMG]

THIS ANGRY OGRE

[​IMG]

TEH CAMP

(we're pushing the look of the camp forward to integrate it with the rest of the enivrons and UI)

[​IMG]

Plus a listen to the soundtrack as it develops, dwarves, badges and the current community Hunt. And more-- I guess you always need to say that.

PLUS - we've had Live Chat going on our Discord channel for a while (and it's a lively bunch), and we're going to have our first official event on

MONDAY 9/19 at 6PM CST

So come ask questions, compete for in-game prizes and make fun of TheWizard (me) and the bard (designer SingmeAsong)!

(Discord Channel is here)

(Dev Update is here)

14. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Oooh....really gonna try to make that..if at all i may be 1-2 hrs late ☹️ Still SOO hyped for EoE....even with dragon quest 7 now sitting on my 3ds begging me to play haha...EoE would be second at least...fighting for 1st though..thats saying a lot for me. Neways...LONG LIVE THE NERDS

15. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    If you have questions about the game that you want to ask the devs but won't be able to make the live chat, post your questions here.

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Live chat event transcript

If you missed last night's live chat AMA event, no worries. Drakythe captured the whole thing and put it here (minus all the "rolls" for in-game prizes).

We covered a wide range of topics, from character development to the way the narrative system will work to endgame. If we didn't get to a topic that you wanted to see covered, hit the forums with it, reply with it here on TA or be sure and submit for the next event, which we'll announce very soon!

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    This week, we're cranking out EQUIPS like this shield we showed in the last Dev Update:

[​IMG]

On deck for the next few things we'll share is a couple of off-hand items (book, orb) as well as a good ol' fashioned wizard staff and some blunts (probably hammers). I'll share those items prior to the next big Update here on TA.

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's another week of cranking on equipment for us, and since we've shown so much Warrior stuff already, we're transitioning into magey-ness via magic books, orbs and STAVES (like this one):

[​IMG]

I'll do a rundown on this process, since there's much to show on staves, in the next big Dev Update-- but post of few images along the way here on TA.

19. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I was at work last night so I missed the live chat how sad!!!

20. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    No worries, we will do many more live chat events that you can take part in. In the meantime, we're chatting everyday about this that or the other in our channel, with previews of imagery and all sorts of other things everyday. Check it out.