Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    As we're bringing the design online now, the choices you make affect your personal profile and what Quests and Events become available to you (so what you can bring down, fight and loot in those Quests/Events). On top of that, the House system and overall performance of everyone will go into the pot of how the world progresses in terms of Lore. It doesn't affect your stats directly-- rather, it helps create what becomes available to you to do.

Each Season (right now, a real-world month), we'll take all those choices and performance data and the system will then "report" on how the world went. That, in turn, will determine what gets unleashed on the world in the next Season, what Houses have advantages and disadvantages and what treats everyone can find or compete for.

2. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Wow

Man, great great concept, quite unique. Seems amazing ideas have been a-brewin'

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Ty! Appreciate that.

We're just finishing the rig on a baseline enemy, the Serpent (it will have a cooler name, I promise), so I thought I'd post it here so you can see how the rigs for the enemies look before they're going in the engine:

[​IMG]

I've said before that there's no rats, bats, wolves or skeletons in this RPG. But there are serpents and such-- we had to have some fantasy staples...

4. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    I truely cant wait!

Until that beta invite jots my inbox, im going to come here evert day, drooling over it all. Then, when the beta comes in my inbox, i will leap for joy, then drool over the amazingness that this game has to offer! Please keep it up!!

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Will do. I'm excited to show our next few updates and get into testing.

Separately, if any of you happen to be going to GenCon in Indianapolis this weekend, I will be there Friday and Saturday. I'll have a build of Exiles with me and would love to show it to you and get feedback. PM me if you're going and we can figure out how to connect.

6. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We just got rolling on Instagram, so if you're interested in a feed of the screens and images as they rollout (plus the opportunities to win stuff when the game launches), check it out here.

(of course, I'll keep posting the major updates and key images here as well)

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quick preview image for the Dev Update I'm working on. Hand-painted textures for the armor is really having a big visual impact for us. Here's a side view of the most recent set of armor (remember, there are 8 visual slots for loot-- like Helmets-- and 5 that you can't see-- like Rings):

[​IMG]

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    And we just put up Live Chat for everyday discussion about all the goings-on with the development of the game. We'll host dedicated time to discuss specific topics, but devs are in the chat most times during the (US) day.

You can join, lurk or discuss here.

And if you have suggestions, add-ons or anything else that can help the chat channel, we're all ears.

9. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just put up today's Game Dev Update for Exiles. It's got a ton of new imagery and details on

Rank Badges

[​IMG]

How armor is getting produced

[​IMG]

And a bunch more.

Here's the link to the update. Would love feedback on art and the systems we're detailing (particularly the PVP stuff).

10. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #

Very. vari...sectsi
    Wow,

It's all looking SOO good! Everytime i check up on this it makes me realize how much crap is on the app store and how bored I am with most mobile games =/. Also, makes me realllllly reallly wanna get to playing this bad boy! Is there any round about very approximate only kinda launch date? We lookin' at 2017....er...not quite that far out? /cry..../pine!

11. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    appreciate that. If there's anything we're going after, it's to be exciting forever. You'll have to tell us if Exiles pulls that off.

As far as timing, we're aiming at early 2017, yes. We don't have a date to share just yet, but as we get into testing in the next few months, we'll narrow in on a launch timeframe. But as you've seen, we'll be sharing tons of details as we go and if you want to lament straight to me or the other devs, join in the live chat we have going!

12. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I love the competitive scene aspect. I'm not a fan of Clash Royale (don't scream at me) so I'm pumped for this :)

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    As pumped as this guy?

[​IMG]

14. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Kill. ing. me.

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not as bad as this dwarf wants to:

[​IMG]

We're just into dwarf concepting-- and looking for some unique twists to the common dwarven tropes. Got any ideas for off-the-beaten path dwarven looks, weapons, culture or abilities?

16. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    How about a weapon with a hammer on both ends? It Can only be used by the incredibly strong dwarves much like a long pole.
    The weapon is held with both hands shoulder wide apart. The twisting of the waist generates the power to strike with both ends
    one after the other.

17. oheight

oheight Member

Jul 9, 2015

This will literally be my screenshot every time wizard. And I'm gonna send every one of them to you. Electronically and snail mail-ly. Too much? I think not.

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, that's great (/makes note).

What else on odd-ish dwarven cultural cues or physical features or habits or whatnot?

19. oheight

oheight Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I like the idea of dwarves being distrustful of other races because in their past a great invasion of their lands occurred and they were driven from the surface to the caverns of the mountains and slaughtered for not complying. Great elven ruins or castles on the surface could have been constructed by their great smiths and taken by elves and men in the dwarven purge.

20. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Hmm I like my dwarves to have mages that are well versed in earth magics and magnetic magics what about a dwarf that has shards of metal floating around him and he can send them to attack the player or he has the ability to use magnetic force to push a warrior away (due to them wearing metal) and slow them down(like a de buff) I also like magma based magics like a lava whip or lava snake or something cool like that. And your standard earth based attacks like spikes of rock coming up from the ground.