Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seriously, thank you-- that keeps us motivated. And here's another shot from the update, this time of how Crafting is coming together. This isn't final art, but you can see some of the functionality for forging a random items (from any of the 13 slots you'll have on your character). There's Recipes too, but this lets you sink Crafting Materials for a shot at a sweet item of whatever kind you're looking for:

[​IMG]

2. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015

Wooooowww would you like at this... Nice

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks!

Here's another of the "Item Inspector" that you'll be able to access after Forging items:

[​IMG]

In this view, you'll be able to do the typical flip-around-tilt-and-stuff for the item to look at it from all angles. If you're watching closely, you can see some of the Core Stats that we'll be using in the game. There's quite a few (not all displayed here) and, for any of you that have played my games before or been to my comic shop in Chicago, you know I love me some LUCK.

4. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Wow! I was interested in this when I read the TA article a while back. I didn't realize this thread was here, though. Just read through it all and I have to say... Holy crap! This is looking awesome!

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Mike!

(and solid username btw ;) )

6. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Need input on elves

We're working on elf concepts right now and are interested in feedback and opinions on both the male and female designs. Check these out:

[​IMG]

In Embermark, the elves stuck around after the Collapse (when the boundaries between this world and the next broke down) and used their considerable natural skills to survive after their strongholds were destroyed. Now they're tribal and nomadic. With that in mind, what numbers in this concept design do you prefer for both female and male and (if possible) why?

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually, to make it easier to weigh in with your opinion, you can do it here or vote on the female head designs here.

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're finally heading out of Warrior territory and into Mage territory. This milestone we're working on will result in a fully playable build in a few people's hands for testing, and it will have both Warrior and Mage classes functional (plus several sets of initial loot for each of the 13 slots on the character).

[​IMG]

9. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    So...ex..ciiii..eee..TeD!

I told ya I'm watching every day! Lol. Glad to hear production is coming along so well...and damn...pretty fast imo. I am really hoping I get into the first wave of testing! Yes...I've already messaged, emailed, posted on the official website/forums # And here's hoping! Great job so far from the looks of things and good luck from here forward.

Sid.

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ys, Sid-- very fast. This is the biggest milestone for us, because it will lead to testing with people beyond ourselves. You're on the pre-beta list (anyone else interested should PM me on our forums).

Last night, I saw the new Warrior armors and the 1st set of Mage gear that's going in game, and I'm very excited (will share that stuff here as well once it's a little further along).

11. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    You were speaking my language before, but now you're singing to me! Haha. Looks great!

12. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Sqeeee...ahem

SQEEEEEEEEEE...ah.aa..ahem. 'clears throat' 0.0

13. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Oh, BTW...system requirements?

I may have mentioned this before, not sure, but...I have an IPAD 4..a lot of new games lately have had IPAD 4 as literally RIGHT below what is compatible..even though..their game would still work (maybe with lower graphics settings even) with said device. I would hate to learn EoE will not be compatible with IPAD 4..this is one of my MOST anticipated new IOS games...games in general even.

Sorry, just getting anxious about testing and release..please soothe my concerns if possible!

ahem..cough ..sid

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, sid, you should be fine with the 4. We'll be sure to release info on what systems are handling the game how, but we are aiming at supporting the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and above. Since you're on The List for our initial testing, I'll make a note that you're on the iPad 4 and that gives you Serious Responsibility as head iPad4 tester ;)

15. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    yup...yup...yup..yupyupyupyup AHUH AHUH...AHUUUH

Swiht. =D

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We've got a bunch of art production going on now, and wanted to share some of what we're developing on the loot side:

Exiles has 7 visual tiers for each piece of loot. As a piece of equipment levels up, it not only increases in power and effect, but in visual visualiness as well. Take a look at the a couple of the swords that we're designing to get a feel.

(bonus item that I will explain in the next Dev Update: we've moved to handpainted textures on the equipment, because-- well-- they look more magickal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 7.27.16

Posted a new Game Dev Update over on our blog with details on:

The Narrative System, which lets players affect the ongoing storyline in a bunch of ways:

[​IMG]

The new way we're attacking textures for the gazillions of pieces of loot we have in-game:

[​IMG]

Chests and keys and getting/finding treasure:

[​IMG]

And a bunch more covered in the post. I'll post more images here in the next couple of days as well.

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    John Scalzi, World-Builder

For any John Scalzi fans, one other announcement we put in the Dev Update today is that we're working with him on world-building and the player-directed narrative system we're putting into the game.

He just posted some thoughts on what he's doing with it (here).

19. soulste4ler

soulste4ler Member

Jul 28, 2016
    IT Engineer
    Denmark
    Holy awesome! The concept art and the overall feel of the game is so brilliant! I was reading about the narrative, and how it affects the later quest system. Like being an adventurer or exile, will it affects stats if you have some in your game? Or maybe other things like gaining more keys or finding more chests of you are an exile?
    I just want to know, how deep the narrative will affect the game systems in the game?

20. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ugh... Stop posting updates please. Each update makes me want the game more and more. It's becoming more than I can bear!

(I'm joking, of course. Keep those updates coming! :D )