Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't believe that would be possible with this game ;-) It's not aiming to be something that revolutionizes mobile gaming, just provide fun PVE/PVP combat in 60 second bursts.

2. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, yeah, @Nezuja said it-- our Quest with this game is pretty straightforward (and it's stated right here if anyone is joining in now). And there isn't much that's procedurally generated...

But in other news, our pals over at Bound announced our writer for the Exiles pre-lore yesterday and I'm excited about that too (plus a new Dev Update next week). Check out the Bound announce: here.

And for fun, here's some PANTS:

[​IMG]

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 6.9.17

We're getting close (no really) on the feature set we need for our closed testing of Exiles. We need to hit a couple more milestones including the Forge (crafting) and lockdown our gameplay modes and we'll slowly start testing with the folks that are signed up to test (details on how to sign up are here, look top right).

This month, the Game Dev Update is packed full! Some highlights:

A New Battle Environment Breakdown:

[​IMG]

The Mischievous & Morally Bankrupt Bandit:

[​IMG]

GIFs!

[​IMG]

And the introduction of the mysterious Narrator as well as a real snippet of story from the upcoming pre-launch narrative episodes. Check out all the details here, and we're looking for feedback and test players, so hit me!

4. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    OoooohHOHO! "No Really."
    Ok, no going back now! You done said it..fur rilz this time, other games are soon to be abandonded, discarded, neglected, left pining away for the touch of my stylus.
    F***'em all, we doHn need'em...seriously though...omg its almost time, oh and my buddy can finally spend that year long saved $100 bill lol.

ChugachugachugachuaHYPEHYPE!!

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, thanks Ty!

Yesterday, our friends over at Bound soft-launched their app, and I'm in the middle of editing the early episodes for Exiles, so we're right on the verge of some lore-ish lore.

Here's the TA article.

6. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Yep, that app is suuuuper exciting too. The possibilities for future mobile gaming lore/story telling is quite exciting. Already downloaded the app and its sitting there ready to go.

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice! Yeah, the episodes for Exiles are in editing as we speak, so I should have some news on timing for the shortly. In the meantime, we're working feverishly on the Narrator's Legendary (chest piece). Looks tattered, is powerful!

[​IMG]

8. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Love the art here, he looks great.

9. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    $100 bill still readyyyyyyyyy :)

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha- thanks! And we're currently working on a Legendary Chest piece from that dude right now.

Separately, the Player Created Gear Contest has wrapped up submissions and voting is on (through July 4)! One lucky gear designer will WIN (there's also categories for craziest and funniest).

Check out the finalists and get your votes in right here.

11. paolopingol

paolopingol Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    IT Programmer/Digital Arts
    Are you planning to create a female main character in the future?

12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    oh yes!- there will be both male and female playable characters. Here's a look at both warrior and rogue concepts from the female:

[​IMG]

13. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015

OH! Niiice, I might have to actually play a female first time around...they make GREAT looking warriors.

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 7.20.17

Every month (or so), we publish a big dev update and this one's a big one (find it here). It's got the usual images and GIFs and such, but a few highlights might be interesting for you guys:

GAMEPLAY CHANGES:

I dive into the testing we've been doing and talk about some simple-but-important mechanics changes we've found that will amp up the depth and competition.

[​IMG]

BATTLE REDESIGN:

With the above came a new look for battle (or for the UI anyway).

[​IMG]

THE DEBUT OF AUDIO LORE:

We've been working with Bound for a while and we're JUST on the cusp of releasing our first batch of episodes for "Tales of Embermark." I posted a sample of the 1st episode in anticipation of the lore release:

NEW NPCs

We show the Dwarf, Bandit and new Ethereal in action (in this case, the Ethereal is dying, so not really in action).

[​IMG]

And those are just a few of the things to dig into-- it's something like 25 images/gifs or something, and I'm exhausted now, haha. But I'm really excited about where we're getting with the game and hope to get closed testing with some of you rolling soon. Hope you enjoy (link to update).

Oh and there's a Dwarf Shimmy that's not to be missed at the end. He... shimmies. Try and look away...

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    ...for those of you who don't want to have to search to check the Shimmy:

[​IMG]

16. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Still my absolute most anticipated mobile game this year. Everything is looking amazing, keep up the great work!
    Also, loving the new UI aaaaannnd of course the shimmy #

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, thank you Tychaeus-- The Shimmy is getting too much play over here at Gunslinger, but the animations I show from our bandit guy are now giving it a run for its money. He's got quite the attitude, our Bandit. And we're using him as a precursor to the Rogue Class which we'll move on to after we get to closed testing.

18. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    I also love how so far I haven't seen a gender or class aesthetic that was a turn off. Usually there is always at least ONE class or class with a certain gender that just doesn't look quite right or looks clunky or some such....so far I can honestly say I love every image you guys have shown us, and this is going to make it really hard to decide on a main character #
    But that is a great dilemma to have!

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Appreciate that too! Going to be even more interesting when we reveal the other 3 Classes we have planned (though we will probably release them in an expansion rather than right out of the gate). At the beginning of testing, we'll have Warrior and Mage, then introduce Rogue.

20. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Sweeeet. Love that there is going to be so manu classes, and especially that there will be something beyond just warrior, rogue, wizard...which every game seems to have....not that they aren't enjoyable, just nice to have other options in the mix even if it'll be later down the road.