Universal Exiled Kingdoms RPG (By David Ballestrino)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wait are you serious about difficulty level difference? If so thats awesome because I hate not being able to save in a dungeon.

2. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't have any firm proof that normal and casual modes are identical, but the general consensus on the Exile Kingdoms forum is that that they are (with the only difference being quicksaves in dungeons). I started out playing on causal so I can't speak for any differences versus normal, but, based on my experience so far, it's definitely no cake walk! :D Even if it is a little less difficult, I think it makes the game SO much more enjoyable (at least for me), and that's all that's ultimately important in the end. Because if you're not having any fun in a game then why keep playing? :)

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6828&hilit=quicksave&start=10

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I am going to restart and play the game in casual rather than normal.
    I'm finding the inability to save and reload a game mid dungeon was beginning to become more of a frustration than fun.
    And thanks for the headsup to the forums. Looks like some really nice people over there willing to help newbs, so I registered. #
    I'm going to see if I can get some clarification about the difference between casual and normal difficulties.

4. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Glad to hear! I think you'll REALLY enjoy the game a whole lot more! :D

Yeah, the forums are very helpful, and there's a lot of great people in that community.

Here's the link to the official Wiki page too:
    http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

5. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    macatron, this one, The Quest or Spiderweb's?

All works of love, it shows.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    The Quest was good but wasn't to my liking enough to recommend too highly - but then I'm not a fan of the 1st person viewpoint and controls.

I can highly recommend any of Spiderweb's games. Generally very big and encompassing with loads to discover.

Can't comment fully on this one as I don't own it....yet! Try the demo though - from all accounts, if you enjoy the initial gameplay it offers, then you've got a load of fun coming your way. Check out the official Exiled Kingdoms forums (linked above) for more of an impression of what's on offer. There's loads of useful info to help build a better picture. I'm going to take the plunge but probably later in the week.

7. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I've bought the full license of this game, but probably won't play until it is "finished".

My only gripe is that Spiderweb can't be played on iphone, where I game mostly. If only we had an UI overhaul that would allow us to, but we probably never gonna have, since he is too busy as it is and it would probably never be justified on an economic point of view.

A shame, though.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    There is always Baldur's gate and icewind dale on iPhone though right?! I'm currently really enjoying my first ever playthrough of Baldur's gate on my 6+. Would want to play it on anything smaller though.

Oh and I've got exiled sitting waiting for a little while. Obviously Baldur's gate takes the lead for the foreseeable future on my device

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I have not a plus yet. I found BG too tiny on my iphone 6.

I am thinking about getting a plus on april, when my plan expires. However, I am worried that it might be hard to carry around on my pocket.

Exiled, on the other hand, plays great at my phone. In fact, I found it better on phone than on my ipad.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Good to know I've got exiled to look forward too and that it's more suitable to the phone. Again, BG is indeed a bit cramped on the 6+ though workable. You can enlarge the text in the settings which brings it up to bearable.

I'd recommend going the 6+ if you do decent gaming on your phone. It will totally change the playing field. I'm a guy that wears slim but not thigh hugging jeans and I've had no real problem with pockets. Maybe one or two of my jeans does the phone edge stick out at the top. For me, it's a minor compromise for the screen real estate for gaming. Due to my jailbreak I'm also playing dungeon of the endless (iPad only), game on my iPhone to break up BG. I do need to use the stock iOS zoom function (like a lot) but it's workable and for me worth it to have that great game on the go.

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    #111 ZS77, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    I know I'm going to get shot down in flames here but....

...really didn't get on with BG whether on iPad or iPhone. I think it was partly having to manage a full team (prefer solo questing) and the constant tapping to move, tapping to attack, pausing play, rejig tactics/select another enemy, rinse/repeat.

Don't know why but I found all that a lot easier with the Spiderweb games - seemed a lot less repetitive, perhaps because it's individually turn based within the round rather than all acting simultaneously within the turn. Also, graphics are much easier on the eye with Spiderweb - all be it, not as detailed. Maybe I should give BG another go - in theory, it ticks all the boxes for me (except the party management) so I should be lapping it up.

12. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I actually love The Quest and Exiled Kingdoms pretty equally (never played any of the Spiderweb games) They each scratch a different itch for me. Plus, being able to play them both on my phone makes all the difference for me. I have an aging iPad 4 that I rarely use anymore, but my iPhone 6s is always with me so it's what I game on most. That's the whole reason I've never tried the Spiderweb games; portability. :)

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #113 Dankrio, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    I said f* it and bought an iphone 7+ 256gb. I am broke, but won't change my device on the foreseable future. Lol

14. DavicBVal

DavicBVal Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Casual also has regeneration when you are under half your health and idle (with a cap of 50hp, so it becomes less relevant in mid-high levels). Otherwise it is identical to Normal.

Another thing that changes is the "score", which has a multiplier based in difficulty. You can check it in the details section of your character. It has no in-game effect, but there's that.

15. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    That is awesome!

16. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Never tried Spiderweb games???
    Do yourself a favor and pick one up next time you want a new RPG. If you like this you will like that.

17. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Completely agree - highly underrated purely because they're niche and produced through low key development. If ever their was an indie developer who lavished love on their creations, it's Spiderweb.

18. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I would love to play if it was available on iphone, because I seldom use my ipad for gaming at the moment.

However, it is highly unlikely that we have some UI modification eventually.

19. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    This has just sold it for me. Dying inside dungeons and being booted back out was really putting me off - I don't mind some grind but I do object to repetitive grind! Score really doesn't concern me, I play these types of games for the progression and adventure, not to top a list. And regenerating life of any quantity is always a bonus!

20. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    How dungeons are handled on normal isn't really that onerous. Just save at the door before you dive in. That you might find an awesome piece of loot and lose it because you might not roll it on subsequent tries after dying the first time is a big part of the game's appeal. It really forces you to be cautious and strategic rather than just blundering forward to thoughtlessly mop up dungeons.