Universal Exiled Kingdoms RPG (By David Ballestrino)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Sep 28, 2016.

1. solistus

solistus Member

May 24, 2012
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I need to be a bit more proactive in looking for the quests I should be doing. I've only done a couple so far - goblin hunt, rescuing the guy in the goblin-infested mine, giving some flowers to the alchemist, and I tried and failed to do a town hall quest to find a tome. I think I can handle the zombie flesh quest from the tomb near the starting town, although I'll probably have to hop back to town in between collecting each quest item since those zombies really hurt (I wish I could avoid fighting 3 at once, but my usual methods of pulling only part of a pack don't seem to work there - not enough space between the door and the zombies, methinks, because they all seem to aggro at once as soon as I step through it). I'm wondering if I missed a quest or two, though, since I grinded out about a level and a half to get to 4 and I'm only just strong enough to handle the enemies down there.

What was that about using traps? Is that an advanced skill I haven't unlocked yet or a type of item I haven't found yet, or is that something I'm already capable of doing but didn't know about? I've found and tried to disarm (with limited success) a couple bear traps and spike traps in dungeons thus far, but I didn't know there was a way I could use traps myself.

Oh, and one more question - is mage a playable class? I don't see an option to create one, but I see mentions of them in the trait descriptions.

2. DavicBVal

DavicBVal Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2016
    In Lannegar there is another quest available that you probably should do (from a guy called Rodney, not far from the priest). It will also lead you to another area and potentially to other quests, plus to your first "real" companion that you can equip and level up, unlike the cannon-fodder mercs.

Trap Master is a basic rogue skill, which allows you to set traps. Traps are great to slow down enemies.

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Game is constantly crashing after about 20 seconds of playing. Have tried starting a new game in case the old save was corrupted but still crashing.
    Game was just updated to ver 0.8.967.
    Using an iPad Pro 12.9" and iOS 9.3.3.

4. DavicBVal

Oct 4, 2016
    Hello, that's odd. Did it work fine before and now it crashes, or it is crashing for you since you first installed?

May you please try to restart your device? Thanks in advance.

Also, for faster support, please use the main menu link or email to [email protected] as I don't check forums very frequently.

5. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    How do you play as a "Mage"?

I only see Warrior, Rogue, Cleric options, but Mage is mentioned in description, and in relation to attribute points..

6. DavicBVal

Oct 4, 2016
    Mage is not in the game description, it is still in development.

In each new update I add new mechanics required for the mages; last one included summoning and explosions, for instance. Current focus is put on completing the main quest and adding key areas, right after that will come the mage.

7. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Spent the last of my iTunes credit on this instead of buying more games on sale.

Glad I did, as I have been thinking about EK since playing the free demo version at launch. It's one of those games that just has a good soul to it.

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    It worked fine before the update. I have rebooted the iPad and it still crashes. It wont crash in the main menu but choosing an option menu or starting the game to play will cause the crash.
    I will contact you via email as well.

9. DavicBVal

Oct 4, 2016
    #69 DavicBVal, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    We found a workaround via email, but posting it here in case someone else is having such crashes. The problem is related to google play games integration (achievements, cloud save) and only affects a few users; I haven't been able to reproduce it myself or isolate the cause yet.

Solution: Make sure the connection to google play is disabled (main menu, top-left) and then exit the game using the "Exit" button (main menu bottom-right). It *must* be exited that way for the connection settings to autosave. The crashes should go away and you can play normally, once I find the cause and fix it you'll retroactively gain all achievements. Sorry for the inconvenience.

And while I am here, some info on next update. It's taking longer than usual, mostly because of the writing and a few new mechanics. I expect it to be out around jan 9, but it will depend on how the testing goes. It will feature around 12 new areas including 5 new outdoor and 2 new towns. Main quest will be advanced and a lot of mysteries explained; only the final chapter will remain. Of course the update will come free to all players with a license.

10. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    After progressing further and further, it's dawned on me that this game reminds me of the Gothic series. Not sure how many CRPG fans from back in the day are around here, but I'd highly recommend you check Gothic out, and if you like it this is worth your attention.

I would like to recommend some minor adjustments that are kind of distracting:

-It'd be great if there were character models that showed two-handed weapons actually being wielded with two hands instead of one. Not only is this an aesthetic quirk that glares since we have to stare at the PC the entire game, but it also makes me wonder which enemies are wielding two-handers while the graphics fail to convey that information to me.

-Another model concern: it'd be great if the character model's hair reflected portrait choice. Same for armor. I'm gathering all of the blessed blue chain mail for my cleric and it looks identical to the regular chain mail on the PC character model. Same for the green armor, etc.

-The button sensitivity and touch footprint need tweaking. I keeping having to repeatedly mash hot-keys and ability shortcuts to do things in battle. I know you don't want them to be too sensitive, as people would be annoyed if they were misfiring pots and abilities, but I feel like we're too far in the opposite direction on this one.

-NPCs (especially companions and mercenaries) should move when the PC bumps into them. It seems like I'm getting stuck on them a lot in battle.

I don't want to put a bullet-point on this one, because it's more of a wish-list item, but it'd be great if there was some kind of permanence to the world in terms of the enemies. Like after you raid and depopulate a goblin fort right down to the boss, the fort stays empty for awhile and becomes infested with something else. I didn't start wanting this until I associated EK with Gothic, which left areas in a chapter depopulated until a new chapter began and a different version of the world with different roadblocks, enemies, and set pieces replaced the "spent" previous chapter's version of the game world.

I know EK is structured differently, so I'm not sure if that would even work, but it's just an idea I thought I'd put out there.

11. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I just started playing as a rogue, and I'm really enjoying it! :D I'm contemplating staring over as a cleric, though. What would you say the funest class to play is?

12. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    Congrats on the award David!

I was pleased to see that Shaun also picked up on the golden age PC RPG genes in Exiled Kingdom's DNA. Well deserved accolade. I think you're well on your way to creating a strong iOS following.

13. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    Oh, and...

My primary character is a cleric focused on combating the undead (mainly Crusader, Barrier and Might with Shield and Healing), since they're easily the most threatening foes and they inhabit places filled with nice treasures. It's fun to focus on raiding their tombs and dungeons.

I started a bow-focused rogue and I'm sort of on the fence about it. Lots of kiting enemies into traps and hit-and-run tactics. I haven't gone into a dungeon yet. Not sure I want to until I get the sneak skill (traps, bows, and sprint for now). Dungeons in this game are pretty dangerous if you don't keep your wits about you.

I'm assuming a backstabbing rogue, tank warrior, and DPS warrior will be pretty straightforward and feel like about what you'd expect.

14. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Hey, thanks for all the tips! :D I recently started a new character to try out the cleric, and, so far, I've really been enjoying this class. The undead bonuses are definitely nice to have, and I'm really digging that fire spell for packs of enemies!

This game just continues to surprise me, though. I'm only level 3 and I ran across a level 8 white wolf that was kicking my butt, so I ran back to the soldiers that buy my wolf pelts and they all started attacking the wolf! I did it as a last ditch effort, but I was pleasantly surprised in the end. Plus I still got all the experience points to boot! :D

15. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    Yeah that dynamic sandbox aspect is one of the characteristics that reminds me of late 90s/early 00's CRPGs. Kiting to friendlies was a crucial early game tactic in the Gothic series.

There's a quest that I'm not high enough level for yet where you can participate in a raid on an Orc fort. Now I'm kind of wondering if I can kite them or part of them to Kongbridge and whittle them down on my own...

16. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, I love it when games aren't all scripted and on rails. It gives you freedom to play it however you see fit. Some things work. Some don't. Other things might work that no one else would've thought of! That's the beauty of it. :D

It definitely gives me a great vibe of 90s RPGs.
    I was born in 79, so, judging by your screen name, we played a lot of the same stuff growing up. :)

17. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    This or WyvernRPG?

18. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    this.

19. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Definitely this!! It's the deepest RPG I've played in years!!

20. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    If you were gaming on NES>SNES/Genesis>PS1/N64>PC late 90s-early 00s (aka pre-digital distribution PC gaming golden age) then oh yeah, we probably have a lot of gaming career overlap. ;)