Universal Evoland (by Shiro Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 2, 2015.

1. meril

meril Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 13, 2011
    Switzerland
    #21 meril, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Cool game. I play RPGs since the 80ies and this game is like a trip to the past and back :-D
    Only the moving control button could be better, a floating one would be nice.

After downloading, the game crashed on leaving the option screen, but a restart of the device solved the problem.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks great, 3 or 4 hours isnt bad. But what i like about this is it seems to be a 'history' of RPG's from the very basic ones to final fantasy and so on. Love stuff like that, i'll pick that up later (when i sneakily buy an itunes card without the wife knowing)

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Man, this looks absolutely gorgeous...but the reviews of the PC version have been EXTREMELY harsh on the game. Has anyone tried it yet? Worth checking out? *checks to see if the game's on Steam and if there are user reviews*

4. mcamp

mcamp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I played through it on PC maybe a year ago, maybe more ... It's an enjoyable experience. And like the fellow above, the length is just about right for my attention span for mobile games. I'm likely to play through it again now on mobile.

It's short and imperfect, but certainly worth spending time with for anyone who digs on the premise.

My only concern isn't the game, but how well it makes the jump to phones. I guess I'll find out ...

5. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    At the same time, the user reviews on Steam for Evoland are pretty weighted on the side of positive (currently 2242 vs 391) which gives me a lot of hope. There's always the chance the complaints were addressed since the original published reviews plus the names that I personally have a lot of respect for reviewed it with 6s and 7s which I regard to be pretty decent scores.

I'll give it a play and leave some impressions after my first day with my new job :D

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Good luck in the new job, Pete. I just had a quick play as I'm mental busy at my old job. The only criticism I have is the tiny little analogue stick at the bottom but the controls may change. There is nothing here not to like. I'm still in the game boy bit unlocking movement to right, left, simple scroll, full scroll, monsters, weapons etc. it's the best two pounds I've spent today. MFi controller would be nice.

7. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010

+1

Same feeling

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    God forbid you guys find out the PC version's $10...

...oh, wait. :p

9. piraterob

piraterob Member

Sep 28, 2013
    The controls (at least at the start) are TERRIBLE! I mean scream in frustration & throw your phone across the room bad.

It's a little virtual stick that doesn't seem to respond to sliding your thumb. Except when it suddenly does.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    He then changed his mind...

Come on the games just a few dollars. This attitude doesnt help and we'll just get swamped by freemium if people cant buy a game for a few dollars on their expensive device

11. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I think I watched a Game Grumps video of this a little while back, and since then, I've been eager to see this ported over to iOS. And now here we are! :D

As for the nay-sayers, moaning about the price, what exactly stops you from buying? Is it the fact that it's short, or is it because it's digital only and the $5 price tag is only worth it if it comes in a microchip surrounded by a plastic cartridge?

I dropped more on Monument Valley and I got about 2 hours out of that. I still effing love the games though.

Deal with it and make the plunge.

12. leocold

leocold Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    3D Graphic Designer
    Vancouver
    Thats the whole point lol, that is how the control was back in the day, they actually did a good job replicating that.

13. isana

isana Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Bum mode
    Seconding this. Just have to wait for next month when I have some budget again.

14. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Oh yeah I will wait for a promo sale :)

15. leocold

leocold Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    3D Graphic Designer
    Vancouver
    i own over 3000+ game mostly premium and by far this is one of the best games i played in a long time it is nostalgic and plays perfect.

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow that sounds promising then.

17. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Played this game on pc all the way through. I got it on a steam sale for 5 bucks. It's really good.

18. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Had a good laugh so far. Seems like a mix between Zelda and Final Fantasy.
    Very polished and I mostly cant wait at which mechanic will be unlocked next.

i lol'ed so hard when the pre rendered backgrounds were unlocked and every scene change came with a nice "now loading..." screen. Haha, I even laugh while I'm writing this. :'D

19. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Somebody is currently playing this on twitch if you want to check out more gameplay :)