iPad Even a supposed FC knockoff can be cloned...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Jun 29, 2009.

1. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #1 LordGek, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    Quoting from DaveMc99 in the Harbor Master thread comes, Boat Mania:

So I guess folk could call it a knock-off of a knock-off, eh? It actually does, at least from the screenshots, look like it might have a few interesting tweaks that stand it apart from Harbor Master:

1) Multiple Lives (with the ability to get more from powerups)
    2) Varying level mission objectives (like docking so many of a certain color boat).
    3) The idea of snagging various powerups in the water.
    4) 10 levels so I can only assume 10 different layouts.

On the minus side it doesn't look that polished and, maybe it's just me, but I find it very suspicious that they don't seem to list anyway to contact the developer on their webpage (do they fear Imagani will flick them shoot or is it simply that they REALLY don't want to hear from the consumers?).

2. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, someone from imangi told anyone who wants to have a go at the genre should have one. They have learnt from their past.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Haha, great, but this time Imangi itself should sit still :)
    Crazy cheap iPhone gaming world...

4. shawn_10

shawn_10 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    i don't think the guys at imangi r gonna care about this too much cuz their game is still by far the better one, and i'm sure harbor master has waaaaaaaaaay more sales than boat mania anyway

5. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    have you even played it, if not don't judge

6. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    harbor master was released not too long ago...do you really think these guys copied the game so quickly? maybe they were in development in tandem?
    i have harbor master and dont like it at all....yes, im one of the few....this game looks better as far as im concerned....ill wait to see what people think..

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  8. shawn_10

shawn_10 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    i didn't say its a bad game or people shouldn't try it..

9. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    In term of graphic and how the game put up together as a clone brand its surely behind Harbor Master.

10. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

#10 hawks12thman, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    I have Harbor Master and I love it. I agree with "aleceiffel" though. However, Boat Mania does appear to be not very polished and probably isn't compared to Harbor Master.

EDIT: I just noticed this but in fact both games were released on June 17, 2009, so Boat Mania could not have been a clone of Harbor Master. Probably a coincidence. So if anybody was going to complain, it should be Firemint, hehe.

11. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #11 LordGek, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    Okay, fine, don't take my $1...

I guess another sign we're dealing with programming geniuses here. It IS NOT compatible with the ipod touch. Not that I'm having problems running it but the fact that I can't even download it from the AppStore without a goofy "Not compatible with your device." error when I attempt to buy it. I would even be willing to ask the developer about this but the clever folk behind it leave no way to contact them (following the support link in iTunes just brings the game's description with no means to contact them).

12. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #12 LordGek, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    I know I'll regret this in the morning...

While I can't claim this has quite the same level of polish as Flight Control, or the most obvious challenger, Harbor Master, it's still pretty cute with some of its own unique twists via level objectives, bonus tokens, and multiple lives. The gameplay is pretty close to Flight Control (i.e. draw lines from each boat to the appropriately colored pier to dock it) but now, beyond simply trying to not hit each other, you'll want to manuver your boats to grab the bonus tokens before they disappear. As far as I can tell so far there is only the one map the player can play in Quickplay or Level Objectives (like the first level's objective of docking 50 boats and grabbing 5 coins to complete the level). Oh, also worth noting, this game is not compatible with ipod touch 1st generation.