Universal Euclidean Lands (by kunabi brother GmbH)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #21 ROGER-NL, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Think I figured out level 16, first you are on the small cube and when you kill the enemy you get a big cube, but you can't move the lanes seperatly you can only move on the bottom of the screen with swipes, so when your charater is on the right side of the cube and you move him the lane goes vertically, and when your character is on the left side of the cube the lane moves horizontally..

This is it sort of ha ha.

2. Vital moves, meaning the minimal number of moves required to complete the level and get 3 flags. If the requirements have eased up a bit, that helps, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

So far, I've 3-flagged all levels except 16, 21 & 23. (You'll probably see why when you get there.) I think earlier on, the counter isn't necessary because you can just make sure each move accomplishes something. But later on, you have no choice but to "waste" moves.

3. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    #23 metalwastebasket, Mar 12, 2017
    That makes sense. That said, I think a move counter over the flag system would effectively kill the game for me. I don't know if its just because I'm still early on, but I like the (false?) sense of having freedom in coming up with a solution and just messing about swiveling parts, rather than be bogged down by a certain concrete solution or number of moves. That's why I loved Critter Splitters. It had this "Hey, do whatever you want to do" sandbox aspect to it that this (other than not letting me move my character piece around to get 3 flags) offers too. While it may too random and not exactly let you figure out you solved something, it feels like a Rubik's Cube.

4. #24 AppUnwrapper, Mar 12, 2017
    I agree, but the counter being invisible doesn't mean it's not there. ;)

In the end, this game might just not be for me. My main complaint on the GO series of games was the lack of an undo button, having to retrace all your steps when you mess up/die. I don't think adding somewhat fiddly controls and perspectives that can hide things, helps matters.

5. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm on the same page as you for the most part. If only all games had the sensibility of Causality, right? :(

6. Causality & Snakebird. I'm all for a challenge, but I like messing around while I figure things out, not plan everything out before I make my first move.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #27 y2kmp3, Mar 12, 2017
    I decided to avoid all spoilers previously posted, so I apologize in advance if this has been asked.

First, it is possible to score 3 flags / stars on Level 16, the first boss level driven by A.I.

[​IMG]

However, on replaying this level, it is evident that the implementation of this A.I. is extremely flawed. In particular, there seems to be an inconsistent (almost unpredictable) way that the A.I. rotates a segment of the cube. In particular, the choice that the A.I. makes is dependent on the current perspective of the cube and the direction of the last step that the player character makes. This is extremely problematic because the solution is no longer independent of the perspective chosen by the player (a solution should be independent of the player's view). In fact, I can force to A.I. to rotate a segment a certain way and not another way but simply changing the perspective of the cube. This means that a working solution can be rendered invalid because you don't have the correct perspective.

Has anyone figure out how the A.I. determines the segments' rotation after a player move? My own observation did not agree with Roger's theory posted earlier on how the segments rotate.

I second the request to implement an undo button. The lack of an undo button is unnecessary restrictive and works against the experimental nature of the game.

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #28 Misguided, Mar 12, 2017
    I had thought that might be the case, but because the cube rotates with every move, and the situation therefore changes, it makes it a royal pain in the butt to figure out. An undo button would certainly help with that.

@metalcasket I did figure out pretty quickly that to get three flags you had to minimize physical character moves and that cube shifts didn't count (because I was stubborn and wouldn't leave the opening levels until I had figured it out). but I wouldn't have a problem with the game telling you that directly. It wouldn't detract from the experience, IMO.

The real problem here is that with a great puzzle game, it builds up a ruleset that it teaches the player gradually, then presents a problem where those rules have to be combined or applied in a new way, which creates those awesome "aha!" moments. Euclidean lands breaks that rule.

9. I want to see what you make of 24.
    Apparently 16 & 24 are connected in that understanding how to control one will help you with the other. But...well...just wait till you get there.

10. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Well said, Misguided. I am still very early on in the game, but I shared your impression so far on this element.

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I appreciate all the comments from early buyers, but I still can't tell if folks are recommending this or not.

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I really like it, it's a great puzzle game, it's very unique I think and clever.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Based on my early experience, I wholeheartedly recommend this game despite the opaque game mechanics (both intentionally and unintentionally). Agree also with some very clever puzzles.

14. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i don't know guys. it's definitely a clever and gorgeous looking game, but i must say - it's just not fun. well, not for me.

15. I think with a few user-friendly adjustments it can be. But I agree in its current state it's more frustrating than fun for me. It has some clever stuff going on, but instead of enjoying them, I'm just constantly worried about messing up.

16. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Got 3 flags on level 16 with my own theory he he.

17. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Here are some screenshots on how I did level 16.

On the last picture I got the shield as you can see.

Attached Files:

18. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Here is the rest of level 16.

Attached Files:

19. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    AppUnwrapper, thanks for posting that video on the first chapter. Feeling like a dope here because I did not realize that it wasn't the minimum amount of turns you make on the Rubix Cube-Rather, it's the amount of moves your character makes. Couldn't figure out level 4 with 3 flags until viewing your video.##

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That's a tough call. If your tolerance for frustration is low, I'd say no, for now. Otherwise, maybe? There are some great ideas at play here, but I'd call the experience flawed at the moment. I could be wrong, but I think the major issues should have been picked up very quickly with even a little proper play testing.