Eu refund policy ruined it

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Planetman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. IronNinjaGames

Jun 17, 2014
    As a developer, I have no problem with the a decent return policy.

I think the vast majority of consumers are conscious of the fact they are helping to support the people who make the games they buy and aren't anxious to rip them off IF it is indeed a quality game.

Put other way, I'd rather anyone who downloaded my game but didn't like it put that motivation into refunding it than downrating it with "Man, I wish I could have my $1 back!" (which is probably less likely if they can just get the refund)

Moreover -- I LIKE the fact this will reduce the amount of shovelware naturally as the business model becomes less viable.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    This likely won't make that much impact because

- there is already a "no questions asked" refund policy in place which can already be abused and while it is by some people it isn't exactly widespread
    - most consumers will continue to not even know they can or how to ask for a refund
    - some consumers who know they could get a refund will continue to not bother

3. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    I welcome this and think its supergreat !!

Both for me as dev, and for apps I buy. I have no problems with people buying my game, and within reasonable time figure it is something they didn't want at all just return it. Particulary to those who go out of their way to explain how much they regret buying the game at 2$.

I guess some people can buy games, play the heck out of them for 2 weeks, then return, but my best bet is that most people are honest and 'finalize' the deal if they get some enjoyment out of their 1-2-3$ they payed for a game others have spent 100'eds of hours creating.

As mentioned by others, I guess it is overall increased sales, as you can take more 'risk' in buying stuff.

4. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    This will give people more confidence to buy an app. When I was in the art gallery busy I started a policy that you could not buy a painting until you tried it for a week. My sales increase 400%:)

5. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    Thing is though yourvgoing to have to wait 2 weeks to see whatnot exactly made as people all through those 2 week periods are going to.make refunds right to the last minute

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    They are going to make no difference to you.

I have a blanket refund policy no matter what the reason and my tickets are $100+. While it might hurt my bottom line a little on the flip side everyone says how amazing it is and blown away by the customer service we give.

Seriously if you are worried about people refunding your product, your product is crap in the first place.

7. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ditto. This is exactly why we need a refund system like this: To avoid buggy shovelware from dominating the app store. Planetman, focus on putting out a good product. You seem more concerned about bottom dollar returns than publishing a game that people will enjoy (and want to keep installed).

Make a decent game and people will not want a refund on it. This policy will not affect great games but it will hurt the bad ones.

8. #28 jtrubridge, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    There is a major bit which people have missed in the terms of conditions of the EU refund policy.

So basically, the 14 day refund policy only applies if you haven't downloaded it yet.

All it means is you can buy a product, and then within 14 days if you haven't downloaded it you can get a refund.

Pretty much everyone I know who buys something to download will download it straight away so it won't be valid to request a refund (although you can you the existing method obviously)

9. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I'm starting to think that people care more about making money than making games. It might just be me being paranoid about being the last of us.