Etolis: Arena - Update Discussion

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by frankthe2nd, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankthe2nd

frankthe2nd Well-Known Member

App Tapper Preview

App Tapper posted a preview of the game I thought I'd share with everyone.

http://bit.ly/cvYhv3

The game is getting so close its starting to reek of launch-i-ness.

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'm telling you, every time I visit this topic, it just gets better!

By the way, how will this run on a 2nd gen?

3. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    We are having a absolute blast playing it. I got the ipod-out program on my device, and hooked the ipod up to my new giant ass TV ( and i think 55' is pretty damn big) and holy crap was i blown away. Great game, and thank you for letting us play a build.

4. frankthe2nd

Our pleasure. This game would be sweet on a big TV .... hmmm ...

As far as 2nd gen goes—I was playing on a 2G iPod Touch today. It runs pretty good but you don't get the full flavor of effects and lights. You can rest assured, however, that the explosions won't make it hard to play on any device ;).

5. The last beta build worked very well for me.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    This news just made my day! I'll still be able to play this awesome game on my old 2nd gen! :D

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Yes, my iPad handled explosions very well on etolis!
    Jokes apart, how far are we? I think we are all starving here for it!

8. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    the only complaint I have thus far, is the animations of a few things, the radar thingy, with the red circles that indicate the location of an enemy, their movements on the edge of my screen are quite glitchy, just like the rotation animations of the enemies that I emailed Joshua earlier. The movement of the main character (the one you control) could use some more life like movements. If you could also fix the menus. The buttons do not indicate when they are pressed. And its difficult to see which button I hit. So fixing the buttons is a must. The last thing I noticed, was teh help menu that you see upon playing the game. Its not retina enhanced and seems out of place among the beautiful sharp look of the UI and arenas and stuff. Thats all I have at the moment, great game, thanks again for letting app tapper preview it!!!

9. frankthe2nd

Brutally close ... should have an official launch date any day now.

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    great :)

11. frankthe2nd

Agreed. The radar was slowed for speed optimization but after doing some other optimizations it seemed pointless and its been brought up to full speed. There is now an option to turn off the radar to gain the most performance on lower end devices. Everything else is being constantly tweaked and updated (including the menu responsiveness and display).

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Sweet!

13. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    OH and I almost forgot, the left stick, the one that controls your movement (not the one that controls your aiming) does not return to the center of the circle it resides in. Rather it sticks to the last spot your finger/thumb left it. The video in the review shows it.

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Holy Fishsticks! I can't wait!

15. frankthe2nd

Some other news will come shortly, but in the meantime ...

Blam! Shuttle Bay 6 map added.
    [​IMG]

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Totally cool, and makes me want to play X-Com. ;)

17. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    Looks Great....I may hav to update the post to include this new map....will I still be recieving the new builds or not? I would like to have a live preview of the game, meaning that I update it every time you add some new features.

18. frankthe2nd

Honestly, the game is so close to being submitted and launched that it might be as quick to wait for the released game. Also, once it launches, there will more maps, weapons, and game modes added so it will continue to change. iPad support will be added shortly as well and something that starts with a "multi" and ends with a "player" is starting to be flushed out. And I don't mean local co-op.

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Oh yeah, I can hardly wait. This has been the year of dual stick shooters on idevices and this game is going to be the icing on the 12 tier wedding cake of the year.

20. frankthe2nd

Etolis: Arena is submitted!

Its submitted! Start telling your friends that a new bar has been set in dual stick shooters and its just going to get better.

Final launch day will depend on the approval process but it could come as early as this week!