Universal Eternium (by Making Fun, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    No, it's based on point and click similar to keyboard and mouse, or how you would control any Diablo game.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Well except Diablo on console :)

3. taiga97

taiga97 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    It's a pretty desent game. The IAPs don't really get in the way and you get gems fairly easy, there are loot chests that require gems but I suggest buying the legendary chest from the shop for 150 gems.

4. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm so liking this, but now keep getting a black loading screen. I've deleted and reinstalled twice to overcome this, but the problem returned, it's no way to play a game. It could be a Gamecenter issue, or the fact that I'm on an iPad 2, but until it's fixed, I'll play something else...sob!

5. diegohostettler

diegohostettler Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Buying chests with real money stinks. Getting loot is like the only purpose playing a hack n slash RPG.ntry to monetize differently...

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #26 Cilo, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    I felt the same way and regretted opening a chest with gems. However, since then I have avoided that and haven't had any problems finding plenty of loot in chests or being able to craft my own. Loot tends to drop frequently as well.

As far as gems go, the only thing I would save them for is to unlock your secondary skill slots, companion slots, expand inventory, and later to buy more companions (this means don't waste them on buying gear/chests, speeding up crafting/upgrades, refreshing store, or anything else beyond the mechanics of the game you need). As of right now at level 21 I have all but one skill slot unlocked, and I need to unlock one more companion slot so I am saving all my gems and I haven't spent a penny on the game.

It's sad the forum has avoided this game so far due to it being F2P, but I can understand why. A few of the design choices almost made me hit the delete button - crafting/upgrade timers, nagging IAP specials - but I am glad I didn't as this has been the most fun I've had hacking n slashing on iOS in awhile.

7. JubJubBird

JubJubBird Active Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Agreed. Really fun game!

8. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Wish this had Game Center achievements!

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #29 Jorlen, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Just a FYI - this game will not work offline. You may think it will, like me, but then when you finish a run, you get a bunch of errors, to the tune of "can't sync to server" which actually stops you in your tracks. I was just starting to enjoy myself, too.

Hey, at least I tried it. I don't usually even bother with F2P games full of consumables.

IF the developers are here, I would recommend removing any online-only restrictions and perhaps throw in a $5 IAP that doubles gems. Had these two conditions been present, you would have had my purchase.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #30 Cilo, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Doubt the online only thing will be removed, the whole design is too reliant on the gem stuff. If the game isn't able to ping an online server you could easily bypass the dumb in game timers offline. I agree with both of your points though, it's absolutely insane that the one IAP package sold goes for 19.99 and doesn't remove timers and it doesn't double gems, so I guess . . . meh.

Although to be fair I haven't hit a pay wall yet, and there are no stamina/repair barriers stopping me from playing. So this might be the second F2P game I actually get to finish - the first being Plundernauts. Plundernauts was worse though, you run out of energy and you basically can't play for awhile. If they added multiplayer to this game it would be insanely popular F2P or not. The core elements are there and it's online only anyway.

Check out my gameplay video of the first boss encounter!

11. PNem

PNem Active Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I've been playing this quite a bit since it was released, and have just increased my rating from 4 to 5 stars. It's really good.

There is no IAP paywall that I have found (and I am on level 21). There is lots of content, the 2 available character classes play very differently, and the gesture-based controls are very good. The randomized loot system results in that "one more level" feeling that Diablo nailed.

To be clear, it's not Diablo, but it's a very competent mobile game. Definitely worth the time

12. Xibalba

Xibalba Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I, too, am enjoying this one. I bought the $4.99 gem pack just to support the devs #

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed man this is a very good game, just wish it had Game Center achievements.

14. kraze ivan

kraze ivan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    Found this game on the what's hot list on the TA app. So glad I did, it is awesome. It's fun to play and the premium currency is given to you by playing (gasp!) and is fairly generous (though there is a hard ceiling on what you can earn from where I sit in the game now - lvl 12).

15. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    Like others, I'm enjoying the diablo-lite gameplay, and was happy to buy the $4.99 gem pack just to support the devs. Although I do find the IAP a little steep though - that archery pack they offer you in the beginning for over $20 (in Australia, when currency converted) is a little too rich for my blood! If it had been half the price I would've pulled the trigger, but in general I feel the IAPs need to be half the price they are now.

I also find crafting not that worthwhile. The gear I wear is always better than what I craft - in other words, I either find better gear or buy better gear. If you make the effort to craft gear, it should provide better stats.

Otherwise this has been a good romp. Thanks devs.

16. pacmangamer78

pacmangamer78 New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    a grind

its fun enough to start, but like all these games, ends up being a real grind. i try to play games to escape work, but these games feel like another job.

17. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I am loving it besides opening chests for gems and a few other thing but oh well.

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    For those still on the fence due to being afraid of hitting a paywall or not having access to loot, this video might change your mind. I have currently been doing Anderhelm Magroth runs and loot/gold has been dropping like crazy. I haven't spent a penny, and probably won't until there's an IAP timer unlock or gem doubler, but that doesn't mean I haven't progressed.

19. rodzanic

rodzanic New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    #39 rodzanic, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Deleted.
    I really liked this game but the constant loss of progress is hilarious.
    During the weekend I played on my iPad, making sure to force log in and out after each session through closing the app. This morning I opened it on my iPhone. No gems for daily quests, half a dozen levels and three days of crafting and upgrading gone (again).

20. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Loving this game but the occasional crash (one crash and it crashes the rest of the day) is very frustrating. I'm not sure what causes it to crash (usually when trying to run a map) as I always shut down every other app before trying to play. Any advice?