Eternal Legacy (3D RPG) by Gameloft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LBG, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurmf3edr

wurmf3edr Active Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't know. It looks like it has potential, however I AM a fan of the later Final Fantasy games, so I won't set my bar too high because it's for the iphone platform. Still, I'm excited to try it. Just me, tho.

2. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I mentioned that too, in the Gameloft clone thread. A MMORPG. But Gameloft has never been much for the freemium/IAP model, which is how all MMOs operate on the iDevice. Gameloft's infrastructure isn't geared that way. Plus MMO servers must be monitored and updated with some measure of frequency in order to maintain balance & stability. Gameloft doesn't do that either.

3. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    I'm like the opposite. Never got into western RPGs. IMO they are usually so repetitive and have boring combat. And I can't believe you hate anime, what did you watch? There are a ton of really good ones. I guess it's just different tastes. If Eternal Legacy can turn out decent (even if like 100% cloned) I'm sure it will still sell pretty good, considering the amount of people here at TA is extremely small compared to all iDevice gamers in the world (which I bet like half of them are into FF).

4. Very much different tastes. I've never liked Anime of any sort and I've never been into JRPGs (with a few very rare exceptions). On the other hand I love western RPGs. I grew up with classic 8 and 16-bitters like the Ultima series, Phantasie, Dungeon Master, Bard's Tale, etc. The only JRPGs I've ever gotten into were the first Zelda (back in the day), Phantasy Star, and currently Ash. (And Spirit Hunter Mineko when it's done, though admittedly there are additional reasons why it will be awesome. :D)

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hahaha gotta love that voice acting!

6. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

8man After, is a great, great anime...

But I too love jrpgs, as well as western RPGs. I like the party, and strategy aspect of jrpgs. I like the exploration and combat in some western RPGs.

My 2 favorite jrpgs this gen have been: Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

My 2 favorite wrpgs this gen have been: Mass Effect (1/2) and Dragon Age Origins.

I hope Eternal Legacy ends up being good, I do fear they took inspiration moreso, from Final Fantasy XIII (judging from the brief trailer)

It also wouldn't surprise me, if they took the combat inspiration from Final Fantasy XIII as well. Seeing as Final Fantasy XIII played almost similarly to some Gameloft titles, that would mean Gameloft would save on creating new mechanics and just recycle mechanics they've used with a new "skin."

I'm not expecting turn based battles. I'm expecting real time combat/beat em up, with some spells that you'd fire off - using a jrpg look Alike character.

I'll probably buy it, but not initially unless it has positive reviews.

However, I'm buying Shadow Guardian on day1.

7. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    This game doesn't look terrible...

8. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Yeah me too, I hope this will turn out to be good, but I'll wait for reviews. And like you, good mate, I'm excited for Shadow Guardian as I love the Uncharted series (probably my favorite games on the PS3).

9. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    The best part of this game will be the mute button :D

10. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I never played Uncharted, I'm a 360 gamer...bit I've heard great things about it. It's supposed to be an amazing series, so...

Having never played Uncharted, I'm looking forward to Shadow Guardian.

I wish they would clone Mass Effect, though I'm sure EA would fight them on that...

Alas, Mass Effect 2 is coming over to the PS3, enjoy that game. It really is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm sure you'll love it.

Im crossing my fingers that Eternal Legacy ends up better than expected. It could be the most un Gameloft type game, Gameloft has ever done. That is if they take the right risks.

11. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Juding from the trailer, we have a Cloud Look-alike, Rosa Look-alike, Sephiroth Look-alike, Vanille with more clothes on and a Snow-Lookalike. Those are from Final Fantasy.
    Then we got Malfurion look-alike and I think Dr Doom at the end.

12. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    what a horrible voice acting!!!:eek:

13. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't think, had Gameloft used the unreal 3 engine, that we'd see an open world wrpg.

If they did use the unreal 3 engine, this game would have been a perfect fit.

Lost Odyssey used unreal 3, and was brilliant. Since most jrpgs are corridor based, or more linear it would probably be easier, to implement unreal 3 with this type of game.

Epic mentioned one of the big league iOS publisher/developers have already talked to them about using this engine. I think it's either EA or Gameloft.

I wonder, if it is in fact Gameloft, maybe that's why we've seen very little in terms of Dungeon Hunter 2. Maybe, they decided to use the engine after all, but apply it toward Dungeon Hunter 2. It's not like Gameloft to show a title, only to have it vanish.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

14. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    It would be cool if both of those companies got their hands on. It since ea owns the rights to elder scrolls and all.

15. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Gameloft isn't going to pay Epic on the back-end for royalty fees in order to use the Unreal Engine. That would be a decisively stupid move. Their in-house engines are more than adaquate. They don't need Epic's. Especially if you look at games like NOVA 2 and Shadow Guardian. Gameloft is capable of producing games graphically on-par with Epic, if they want to. Some Gameloft games utilize lesser engines and are scaled down, but when they want to go all out for the heavy hitters, like NOVA and Modern Combat, they are more than capable of holding their own graphics-wise. Gameloft will never produce an Unreal Engine game.

16. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Actually, Zenimax Media retains those rights. They own Bethesda (Elderscrolls) and id Software.

Not EA, though EA does now own the rights to Mass Effect 2 and on, as they now own Bioware.

17. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

Never say never. Ubisoft uses unreal engine, and they're more than capable. They are also very, very closely entwined with Gameloft. EA is also capable, yet they use unreal engine, too.

Since EA is already a license holder of the tech, I expect to see them using it soon.

EA games using the engine: Mass Effect 2, Mirrors Edge...

18. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    Terrible voice acting. I'll be picking it up anyway though.

19. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    If anything, I expect Square Enix to rent out the Unreal System, they did spend 5 years on creating a game with the best graphics possible... they're main appeal is the graphics.

20. EpicAtheist

EpicAtheist Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Agreed. I like Gameloft games as they are; average to good graphics but with good gameplay. Plus, they're the only one who hasn't dropped support for legacy devices. Graphics isn't everything specially when you're on a handheld device. Though, I agree with everyone that they do need better voice actors. :D