Escape from the Pyramid (by Tama Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Alan-C, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you!!!!!
    YWNPLEA79XXF

2. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    We are actually saving the leaderboards for the post-launch expansion! There is some new content coming in. We do however compute the number of times you have died, and what killed you. So you will have a leaderboard of sorts with death by lava, death by water, death by snake, etc.

The final one should be a bit smaller :) This one still has assets for both iPhones and iPad together, but we are separating those

3. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    There has been a report of level 1-9 crashing. Looking into it now.

However please note you can skip levels. A level is unlocked when:
    - You finish the previous level (duh!)
    - You have achieved a certain number of "stars" (level N is unlocked when you have N stars)

"Stars" (we call them "Eyes of Horus" here) are awarded 3 times per level, when you get all gems, all golden beetles, or finish the level within the time limit.

We did it this way so people could skip some levels they have difficulty with, since the game is quite hard and someone might get frustrated with a particular level.

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Okay, so I installed the game and started playing it (I'm through level 5). And....

I LOVE IT!!!! :D

Seriously, this beats my expectations. It's faster than I expected (which may be because I can't seem to stop myself holding the sprint button, often to my detriment), which I really like. As I was playing it, my mind and reflexes started making comparisons with Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run. The speed and precision really match the flavor of that game, and I like the extra control I have over the character. I was also feeling some comparisons with old school Prince of Persia. So, that's high praise.

I love love love the art style, but I already knew I would. It looks so good in motion. I'm really impressed, and honestly surprised I haven't seen much like this before.

As far as controls go, I like the hold to spring and tap to jump. I'm not super sold on the direction change button, but I don't have a suggestion for improvement. I think I'll eventually adjust. And speaking of things I'll eventually adjust to, the spikes' killing reach (which I also had to adjust to in Prince of Persia, so you're in good company) and the amount of time to turn around.

I've noticed some animation jumps when sprinting and wall jumping in weird spots (like in level 5, about a quarter of the way through, when there is an overhang you have to wall jump under). Also, is the home screen button to start the game labeled "Normal Mode" because there will be other options at release? If not, I would change it say "Play" or "Start Game" or something that doesn't sound like a difficulty setting.

Other than those really simple things, I am really really enjoying this game! The difficulty is rough, but I think that is such a good thing. I really think the community here at TA is going to like this game, especially with no IAP or Internet requirements.

So, in conclusion, great work! As we said back on page 1, I feel like this game is tailor made for the things I like. So, thank you for making my dreams come true! ;)

5. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Thanks for the very kind words!

Have you noticed you can change the position of the change direction button (and the special power button)? I personally like to have them both on the right side. You have the "Options" menu on the main screen to do this.

Re. "Normal Mode", it is because we are planning some more options, yes. They will not be ready for launch though, so "Play" as you suggest is probably a better wording for then.

6. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #46 Jerutix, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    I do have the controls changed to both on the right side. Another possibility for the controls might be something that looks like more traditional virtual controls. So maybe a jump, turn, and special power button all together in the corner. I'm getting more adjusted, but the special power button up high feels really out of place.

Also, I have rarely felt so accomplished just finishing a level so early in any game. This is brutal!

Edit: Now I'm playing with the direction switch on the lower left and the special power on the lower right, and that seems to be working well. It reminds me to stop sprinting when I turn, which has saved my life once or twice.

7. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Grabbed 6JRPRTMRM9A6, thanks! Will report back tomorrow :) looking forward to giving it a go!

8. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Thanks! Happy playing :)

9. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Hehe.. as I mentioned, by gamers and for gamers! You will very much notice how you improve though, go back to the earlier levels after a while and you will see.

We really wanted to stay clear of any kind of IAP so people would not think the game was difficult because we were out to milk them.

10. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Excellent game! It's really well done, I played it for about 30 minutes and found it very challenging, I had no problems but I think the two turn buttons are too small, it's pretty easy to hot the wrong one and then die... I like the style, the gameplay and the artwork, it's beautiful, I'd love to see different colours those, it's pretty much all the same, but I guess that's because I am at the very beginning only, hopefully it will vary in the next levels.

11. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    There are 3 worlds, each has a different setting. So, keep playing :) The first one is the standard "pyramid", but you can see the jungle and the catacombs in the screenshots in the first post.

There will be much more variety as you progress, since you will have plenty of different traps, enemies, levers and gates, etc. Oh and, there are bosses too.

12. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Excellent! You guys did a great great job, I can't wait to play those levels

13. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Found a little bug. On 1-13, far right side of the level where the three spears are stacked on top of each other. I slid down onto that part of the wall, and then the stage disappeared and I was falling with just the background visible. I landed, then apparently ran into invisible spikes or something. Didn't try to reproduce it, but when I went to the same spot the next time, I got past there fine.

14. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Been trying to find that one but no luck! Has it happened again?

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm devilishly addicted...
    Besides the unplayable level 9 (kicks me still back to the homescreen), i earned all stars. Started "the magic of nature" levels and oh boy, this gets tough and tougher. No holding hands or helping iap's, just your skills and memorization is what this game demands. People might ask for an easy mode (with checkpoints) but the satisfaction, once you reached the goal(s), is amazingly great.

I'm coming back to these little buttons, they have to be pushed way more than before, and i keep missing them. I shouldn't be distracted with it, that for the game is too hard (but in the best way).

Let us customize the buttons' size and place them where we want and prefer them, please.

Edit: tried the 1-13 bug but nothing happend to me...

16. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Yeah the game is amazingly challenging, it can be very frustrating at some points, but it's good, maybe an easy mode with check points could help a bit, but making it too easy won't help

17. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Yes, the buttons are the main thing I want to fix after the initial release. I was not thinking about changing the size, but I did think a fully customizable menu where you could position the buttons wherever you wanted would be the best.

Unfortunately our main programmer has left us and we are a bit in a pickle with it - so mostly focusing on bugfixing at this point.

You guys seem to be enjoying it, I am very thankful for the thorough playtesting!

Re. checkpoints, we also thought about it. But part of the charm is, in our view at least, the difficulty and sense of accomplishment. We thought checkpoints, and any kind of "lives" mechanic to respawn you where you die, would get in the way of that.

18. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    I should add.. we actually simplified some levels a bit. We have some "extra hard" versions of some some of them, which we thought might be too brutal.

Ideally if the game sold reasonably well and allowed us to fund some more development we were planning as well a "new game +", with harder versions of the maps.

19. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Well, that sounds incredibly difficult. I'm sure some people would love an insanely hard mode. I am content/struggling enough with this one!

I have not had the glitch happen again, so I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't get stuck and have to reboot the game, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

And, when you update the game, could you make sure the word "Escape" underneath the icon on the iPhone home screen is capitalized. Currently, mine says "escape" - I guess that's really just a personal preference, but it bugs me a little. :p

20. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    I have noticed the "escape" too, no worries that will be fixed ;) It might actually say Pyramid instead, I am on the fence with that!

If we did manage to have that "new game+" option we would probably try to bring it the other markets too, like Vita. But this is a pipe dream at this point, I will be happy if we can ever recover half our investment with the iOS version!