Universal EPOCH.2 (by Uppercut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Drone is just that, a little drone that attacks enemies for a few seconds, it's worthless in my opinion, does too little damage, if it was upgradable it would be a different story, but as is, don't bother buying it.

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Just got everything on my wish list only this and CoD Strike Team (waiting for iPad air UI bug fix) left on my wish list ... Any opinions?

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I would buy this 3 times before you get COD

4. Both are awesome, hard choice. If you like FPS, maybe COD, if you like action arcade, maybe this one.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Not really... CoD is pretty cookie cutter except for the novel addition of the top-view. Still pretty standard. It is good, but it's nothing new on iOS for the most part.

EPOCH.2 on the other hand, is a must-have. :)

6. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Congrats on the editors choice! I played epoch before and I wasn't a big fan mostly because of how short it was. I'm sure this was deserving though. I know they would not pick oceanhorn (too Zelda like) and I'm glad this won!

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I kinda agree. CoD doesn't really have anything to make it a must. If you already have MC3 or 4, I don't think you need that game. The single player campaign, while it's good, it's nowhere funny as MC's online multiplayer, something that, somehow, the iOS CoD game lacks.

And I say "kinda" because I still have to get Epoch 2... and a lot of other games. I mean, A LOT. I have exactly 60 games in AppShopper's Wish List :eek::eek:

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Jeez Louise sales are low for this game.... And it's Editors Choice in the US! Darn Oceanhorn...

9. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    For some reason Oceanhorn does not actually appeal to me, Epoch though is Epic!

Dat burner gun is vicious.

10. It is diverse in that it has two totally different styles of gameplay, where you can toggle instantly.

I still think both are must haves, and both are great games, and maybe appreciated differently based on people's preference in style of games.

11. sdiggbot

sdiggbot Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    I am ashamed greatly to admit this but I have been loving the Robocop game (glu, i know, i KNOW) so it is a foregone conclusion that I will love this game as it sets the standard for these type of on rails duck and cover action games

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    OMG these snipers chunk me by a lot. At first i really like them, but once you know the right strategy to beat them, they are just time wasters. And the fastest way to take them on is very risky.

13. UppercutRyan

UppercutRyan Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Exact-Psience asked us this on our Facebook page:

The biggest difference between the E1 economy and the E2 economy is that in E1, medium, hard and ultra are locked behind finishing each previous campaign play through. What that meant was we didn't need to worry about someone finishing the first level on Ultra before even going to the second level on Easy. So we could tune the economies of each difficulty completely in isolation. What we wanted to do with E2 was to allow players to unlock each level's different modes as they played through the campaign, but that meant we had to balance the economy across the entire game rather than each mode individually.

So, basically our expectation is that players will go back and replay finished levels in Time Trial and Iron Mode if they get stuck on later levels and feel they need more cash for an upgrade. We really liked the idea of players being able to play older levels but in a different way so that if they did feel they needed to "grind" for cash, they would have something new to do rather than just playing levels they've already beaten.

Regarding getting less credits in later levels: the only way I think that would happen is if you destroyed a lot of destructibles in the early levels but didn't in later levels. Perhaps we need to review the distribution of destructibles throughout the campaign.

14. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I wonder why this game doesn't sell well compared to TTL2 and Oceanhorn?

This game is just Epic Great.

15. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    First level is pretty intense - haven't even tried looking for destructibles yet!

Curious: is the surprise that we get from having the first game the ogre turret gun? If so, kind of disappointing that it does way less damage per second than the other gun we start with. It does look cool. Even if it was just a cosmetic bonus (ie. for looks), it would have been nice to have it do the same amount of damage (if not a greater amount). (This is assuming that that gun was the bonus - I did not check out the guns until attempting to replay the first mission and think I had to choose to equip it to use it.)

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks Ryan. That's pretty good to hear, and E2 is right now my favorite iOS game. It's just that this feels a bit more grindy than the first.

Also, im saying that while i didnt have the doubler yet, as i really wanted to see how balanced the game is in terms of credits gain without the doubler, as the first one was pretty generous, and never even felt like the doubler was needed.

In E2, without the doubler, upgrades can get a bit grindy. The doubler remedies that well, but that makes the game priced $2 more which is fine for me, but definitely not for the majority im sure.

17. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Epoch 1 had a doubler? o_O

18. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Are there any destructibles in the first level? Found tons in the second.

What's with the Terminator robots rising up again? Robot zombies!!

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup. I only saw it in one of the later updates.

That is how unneeded the doubler was in part 1, and it was a great implementation. I bought the doubler after finishing Ultra mode in 2 devices just to support uppercut when i know i dont need it anymore. Plus, i have bought EPOCH1 from my US and PH account :)

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Damn you have a lot of money and free time. Glowing green with envy :p