Epoch 2 $5.99 --> $0.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Hoggy110, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

*starts to polish the head of The Banhammer* :D

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #122 Ayjona, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    I’m curious. I just had a post removed from this thread that was nothing but cordial. It contained no personal insults, not the slightest bit of irritation towards the devs of Epoch 2 for the price drop, no harsh language, and no subversive attempts to overthrow the encumbents or encourage evil acts.

What it did was discuss how in-depth game reporting with a bigger focus on investigative and inquisitive journalism might be beneficial to both developers and the target audience, and how the price drop (regardless of the morality of the action) of Epoch 2 made for a very good example. This is the second time, to my knowledge, that such a discussion has been quelled on TA. Since my post was not critical towards TA, any of the forumites, or the Epoch dudes, I cannot see what rules I might have broken. But if I have, I would be glad to be informed so that I can avoid doing it again in the future.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's not that grindy. If you have the doubler, then it isnt even grindy at all.

Uppercut's mistake is in the implementation of the mission system. It gives the wrong first impression that it is grindy. It even gave me that impression.

You still have to figure out where the money is, enough to get to the next purchase.

A tier 2 weapon is enough to play at least half the missions under time trial which give a lot more Cr than their regular mission counterparts. Of course Iron man mode gives the most Cr, but it isnt easily possible without tier 3 equips.

I played for approximately 10 hours and completed each mission and bought each equipment (including the bugged grenade with the price that had one zero more than it should have), and 10 hours isnt even half the time i spend on a runner or an arcade game to unlock half of their upgrades.

In fact, this game is a lot less grindy than IB2, which is a lot less grindier than IB3. EPOCH.2 is a lot less grindy than Horn, or even Heroes and Castles, and i've spent much more time to get one desired item in Bloodmasque than to get 1 end-tier weapon in EPOCH.2.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Judging off the content of the post (which was pretty interesting IMO) I think it was removed for going off topic. The topic of the thread is Epoch 2 being on sale and going into that kind of discussion is probably what triggered it. There's a general gaming forum where stuff like this should be able to be discussed.

On that note, the game is on "sale" for $3 off. I'm not going to bite since history says it'll be $0.99 or free in another few weeks (and I wasn't a huge fan of the original anyway)... so I'll bid the thread adieu and move on. If I get it later and become a big fan of it, then I'll buy the next game the dev makes. But that seems unlikely since I don't typically tolerate any kind of grinding in third person shooters.

5. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    When does the sale end?

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Not sure, just pick it up now, it's worth it

7. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Uuuhm... if you started a new account to get around a "Time-out," I'm suspecting that "Time-out" is about to get much, much longer...

DBC

8. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    = Banned!:D

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    He is either Asker or Connect.

10. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Not really sure what you're on about, but OK.

If you didn't create a new account to bypass a Time-out imposed by a moderator, no worries. If you did, well, yeah. Good luck with that.

DBC

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #131 awp69, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    I get upset as many people do about quick price drops and might put a quick post in like "that was fast" or whatever. But I've just come to realize it isn't worth putting up a huge fight in favor of the consumer or the dev. It's just the unfortunate reality of the App Store and there's almost no other market - gaming or otherwise that even comes close to the volitilty of prices for iOS apps.

It's funny to look at the sub forum sticky and realize that it was three years almost to the day that I suggested that a sale/price-drop forum would be nice and useful for members. Back then a very quick drop or change to freemium was far less common than it is now and when it happened it seemed okay to feel kind of crappy when you were on the wrong side of the fence.

Today, it's so frequent that - at least for me - I've just taken the best attitude you really can. And that's what others have pointed out - you win some and you lose some. Nothing you can do about it. And I seriously doubt, unless there's some massive policy change by Apple, that this is ever going to go away.

With all that said, I'd really hate to see TA decide to close this subforum due to bashing, name calling, etc. There is some value to these threads - games you were on the fence about, hidden gems that go on sale and you find a new favorite developer and benefits that can be good for both the dev and members.

Just my two cents and hope that we can continue to use this to inform users rather than drive wedges between us.

12. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Down again.

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    You read my mind.

14. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I liked EPOCH 1, is this an improvement?

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Very much. It's not more of the same at all... Tons of mechanics and variety were added, and it has a more constructed storyline than the first.

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Ha! It seems like forever since your, "worth my buck" posts. Glad to still see you around.

I'm not surprised at all to see this $2.99 again. I still expect it to hit $0.99 and eventually free just like the first game. I think it's just part of the marketing scheme regardless of the quality of the game.

17. Fyi, It's worth your buck.

18. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    #138 vii-Lucky, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Sale for $0.99

:D

19. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Bought it. Now I have all 4 Epoch games. Yay! :)

20. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Wait, four??