Universal Epic of Kings (by Dead Mage Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Feb 19, 2016.

1. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Agreed . There's no point for any IB clone to exist . This tiny sub genre is extremely restrictive , gameplay wise, and the IB games do everything that can be done with it and will never be topped making every other similar game redundant.

Yeah people should avoid this, the developers flat out lied calling it an "action adventure " game and the trailers were deceiving too .

Another sign of how shitty mobile gaming has become , horn rips this game apart and is an actual action/adventure game .

You got to love how this is only playable on iPad Air 1+2 while looking significantly worse than the IB games , ALL OF THEM NOT JUST 3 .

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Agreed guys. Spent a little more time with it and am just not impressed. At all. Have already deleted from my phone and sent a refund request to Apple (only my second request ever and have been buying apps for 6 years).

3. Yeah, I mean I could have forgiven the graphics if the game was fun. But the IB series already gave us much better experiences WITH better graphics. So the fact that the graphics is their strongest point makes it stand out even more that there's not much going for this game.

I'll probably give it some more time later tonight (I started on my iPad and am not starting a second game on my iPhone just to take it with me). But I can't imagine it's saving something mind-blowing for later. Doesn't even seem to have any equipment!!

Feels like Godfire all over again. At least they didn't try to slam us with IAP on top of everything.

4. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    wow, really? i was patiently wating for it, expecting an IB3-like game with worse graphics, but without the dual currency, and with lots of different enemies, armors and weapons to equip and battle styles. Doesn't it have any of those, is it only the blade that changes and that's it?

Hopefully after some time it opens up?

5. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I'm out too, the comments don't look good. I knew the graphics were okay'ish at most but I was hoping the devs would make up for it with more gameplay elements etc. Apparently it's inferior to Infinity Blade in every way.

6. fulcizombie

Dec 17, 2011
    Eh, what's wrong with godfire ? It delivered on every front . Great graphics , God of war like gameplay , decent story . Not the best action game ever but I can't think of many better than it on the App Store . I wish this game was like godfire .

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Wonder who gave it the 5-star rating??????

8. My big issue with Godfire was the IAP and limited coins. I think they may have improved that situation later, but I never went back to check. Looting items was the opposite of exciting for me, since I always had to spend my limited coins just identify the equipment and its stats to see if I wanted to spend more coins just to use it.

9. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    I have also taken the plunge with this one. 6 plus running 9.2.1

I was pleasantly suprised with the nice visuals and voice work on the intro, quite a lot has gone into the production.The in game visuals are very pretty as well, but im finding that it perhaps lacks a bit of fluidity traversing the levels. There was a running/swordplay game that was free to play some time ago that i cant remember the name of that seamlessly integrated the fighting and running in the level but dare i say that this one feels a little... clunky?

I would appear to be a sword for hire, ill get cash if i kill a certain boss, and if i manage to slay a dragon while im up there hell pay me more. Charming. The level starts with you tapping on the yellow particles to progress further into the level then enter combat a la infinity blade, a tutorial ensues with the usual block button and dodge left/right. It took me about 5 minutes to get the counter swipe though as it looked to me as if he was swinging toward my left but the tutorial told me to swipe down, not ideal but i might get used to it. You unlock chests as you go by doing a swipe combo on screen but it a bit fiddly because the line you trace is difficult to see, i dont know maybe im getting too old for reflex games but my first impression score would be three out of five star. Ill come back and update once ive chilled with my demon homies and ran a few levels.

10. #30 AppUnwrapper, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Here's some gameplay video with some of my comments between battles. I'm not sure if the parts where I did poorly was because of my skill or the game. Sometimes it felt very unresponsive (after I stun an enemy, my first few swipes didn't register), but I'm not sure if I can blame that for all my mistakes. I'll let others chime in on that. On the easier enemies, it seems one successful parry stuns them for a few seconds. But then other battles, they're doing these weird spinning attacks and flips that I'm not even sure which way I should be parrying/dodging. Or if I even can. I don't feel like the game explained the combat as well as IB does (what can be parried/dodged/blocked). But still, the game is so bland outside of that I don't even feel like practicing to see if I can improve.

11. Unseen Studios

Unseen Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    UK
    #31 Unseen Studios, Feb 19, 2016
    Count me as another one who is not impressed. The gameplay is mundane. Tap an area wait ten seconds. Tap somewhere else. Wait. Swipe for a bit. Listen to the same sound bytes over and over again. Repeat.

Gameplay seems to consist of small levels where you win by swiping wildly.

The game also seems to lack a lot of polish. Menus are boring, fonts are also strange. In game text is tiny and off in some random corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love infinity blade and part of the fun was exploring the world and finding hidden things. This game doesn't seem to have any of that.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #32 Exact-Psience, Feb 19, 2016
    Why not? A few games have used the formula and added or changed it a little bit to make some interesting titles like Horn, Stormblades, Dark Meadow, I, Gladiator, Bladeslinger or *sob* Bloodmasque. Even World War Z used the base formula a bit but made it a shooter for the most part (although a lack of polish in a supposedly good game).

Some of the other clones may not be even close to how good IB3 was, but a few changes can still make an interesting game like the ones above.

Other than that, thanks to the discussions regarding how this game felt lacking as an IB clone.

13. JourneymanWelder

Jan 30, 2016
    Im always weary of games with bad grammar right in the title. epic of kings? what is that even supposed to mean.

14. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Okay so yup it's so on rails that it feels like a runner with combat elements. I really wanted this to be a dope game. But imo it should be free or maybe $1.99 tops. I'm sure the Devs wanted more too. But having spent so much time on it, maybe they just wanted to get it out there for impressions. I need to sit down and play a bit more before I say anything else. Personally for $5 I would hold off for now.

15. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I've only played the first 4 levels so far. It's "ok" as of right now. It's holding my attention for the moment. It's pretty much a watered down IB game right now. I don't think it's a "bad" game so far. I just think that I've been spoiled with games like Infinity Blade, that I have a higher standard. I like the dark undertones of this one and the visuals are decent enough. I haven't come across any control issues, missed swipes or bugs, so that's a good thing.

I'll hold off any judgement until I sink some more time into it, but as of right now, I'd say stick with IB3 if your in the mood for one of these games. I'll leave some better impressions later on.

16. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    #36 touchy85, Feb 19, 2016

Like many people said before it's disappointing: the combat is not as refined as the combat in Infinity Blade. Framerate is not steady on my iPad Air 2. The fonts look really weird. Attacks are really hard to read. Quicktime events pop up out of nowhere without a warning, so most of the time you're too late. It does look gorgeous at times though and it kind of does what the trailer showed us it would be. It's not terrible, but it makes me want to play IB.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You do know that epic is also a noun, yeah?

18. master333

master333 Active Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Applied for a refund.

19. fulcizombie

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't consider games like horn and bladeslinger to be IB clones. You have free movement in those games and they remind IB only in the battle scenes and they have differences there too ( in horn you can move your character round your enemy ,in bladeslinger you use techniques like shooting/slicing combinations that remind a devil may cry game with touch controls) . If epic of kings was like these 2 games I would have liked it . Dark meadow is a relic of the past . It was a good horror take on the IB formula with the big difference being that it was first person . It hasn't aged well, gameplay wise, in a post forgotten memories iOS gaming landscape .

Stormblades is an uglier version of epic of kings and has no purpose of existence and neither does I, gladiator IMO . World war z is a semi on rails fps, didn't remind me of IB at all to be honest . Never played bloodmasque .

Anyway epic of Kings is so restrictive it makes the IB games look like fallout 4 in terms of freedom .

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    They arent clones, but they were definitely inspired by IB. But yeah, i agree with you.