Universal Epic Island - (by Backflip Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Ive only just started really, but opening chests feels too expenive. It may well be balanced, but it just feels less fun to me.

2. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    It balances itself out as you level the dungeon your playing in. The higher the dungeon level, the more exp to level it, thus the more time inbetween chests.

3. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Ok thanks, i had a feeling i was being prematurely negative:)

4. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Competition for bosses and PvP is getting tougher, but it still hasn't been too difficult to get in the top spot.

Anyone have any idea how exactly to generate Epic weapons? I saw a couple times that a chance has come up, but I can't tell exactly what is causing it. Seems like the items were better than normal and they each had two elements. Once the chance comes up, ANY item without elements seems to continue giving a chance to create an epic?

I have lots of chests to trade people and no GC friends with this game. Hit me up on GC and make sure you put Epic Island in the notes.

GC Name: Barak

5. FriedSushi

FriedSushi Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    #45 FriedSushi, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    How much do stats actually matter in arena? I feel like its kind of random. My lv 10 guy has 805 atk, 643 defense, 413 magic and 50% arena strength from 2 epics equipped (will have 3 as soon as that ice titan is dead), and is still losing to guys sometimes with normal looking equipment.

This game is very viable as free to play actually.

Once you get an alright weapon, you can start to focus on titans and get even better weapons. And once you get pretty strong, getting in top 5% of the daily honor tournament gives 200 crystals most days.

Ive only had the game 4 days and havent spent anything, but have 4 top tier epics, and 1 kinda bad epic (lv 1 titan reward).

I got lucky to get an epic chest that cost 100 crystals to open, which you get for free at the start. That epic weapon allowed me to get in the top 5% of the fire titan, which gave me another epic weapon. Epic weapon allowed me to get top 5% in the honor tournament which gave me 200 crystals, and i unlocked my 3rd hero (which makes managing titans easier when you unlock more of them).

So the stronger you get, the easier it gets to get stronger.

Ill add you, and i was actually wondering the same thing. I had one armor that said 3.x% chance to upgrade, and i just kept feeding it one item at a time and eventually got an assassins chainmail epic which is pretty awesome.

But i dont know how to trigger that chance, maybe you have to get the item to have the same 2 elements as the epic would have? Maybe theres formulas involved with the elements

Im enjoying the game a lot too, i love loot based games. I really like how theres no pay barrier too, although i think that 2000+ gems for the last hero is a bit steep. I think it should go from 1000->1500. I was planning to spend maybe $10-$20 to support you guys because I like the game when i have some to spare.

The hint on forging/crafting would be nice, as well as some kind of battle log. I wish I knew exactly how the defense, magic, and attack were affecting the battle, especially in arena. Right now it just shows you winning or losing (with winner attacking first in the animation).

Some guys look like they have really bad equipment but are somehow beating me, so I kind of wish we could see the calculations behind who is winning or losing. Like "____" did 300 damage, "____" did 500 magic damage or whatever

6. Dean10

Dean10 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Those who have game center/ios please post your gc name here i will add you.. #

7. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Enjoying this as well. Game Center is 3rdSequence.

8. Sunlit

Sunlit New Member

Oct 2, 2014
    #48 Sunlit, Oct 2, 2014
    Hi I have an Obsidian Helm (I think?) and it can get changed into a molten helm
    (Or the one that says "you have to have a cool head to wear this") and I have a executioner. I was wondering how to get more pets
    Thanks in advance. :)
    My gc name is nate1596

9. FriedSushi

May 13, 2010
    #49 FriedSushi, Oct 2, 2014
    Figured out forging and crafting epics. Epics have a type and either 2 or 3 elements so the first thing you need is to know what your target epics type and elements are.

To make the epic, you need the same exact weapon/armor/helmet/shield type (like longbow to make a longbow epic, mace to make a mace epic), and the elements need to be included at the top of the pot by adding fodder with those elements to your main item.

At the top of the pot are all the elements currently in the forge floating around, so if i add a lightning, fire, and leaf item to my main item, at the top there would be the lightning fire and leaf symbols floating around. The item will take 2 random elements from the pool, so from that^ i would have a chance of gettig an item that is fire/leaf type, fire/lightning or leaf/lightning type

So if you have the elements there, and the right item type, youll have a chance to make the corresponding epic.

For example, the Pulverizer which im trying to make now is an epic mace, with elements of ice and water.

So i take a common mace, add two items, one which has a ice element and one that has a water element.

So since my common mace was no element, and the two items gave ice and water, it is now a mace that has the elements ice and water.

Since the main item itself has both ice and water, EVERYTIME i forge even with just a common dagger will give a chance to make the epic.

So i just feed it one piece at a time hoping itll turn into the Pulverizer weapon.

For epics with 2 elements its best to get them on the main item you want upgraded. For 3 element epics, you probably want two of those elements on the main one, and then keep feeding it items with the third element.

Seems pretty cool, they did a good job on this game

so if somebody(or me) made a list of any epics with their item type and elements thatd be awesome. itd be kind of like a recipe list. A good way to see a lot of types is to check any chests and click on the epic weapon. Or check the shop everytime it updates for a new one. And then just write it down/screenshot it.

10. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    #50 Barak, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks for that! Seems simple and makes sense.

Here is the list I know of:

Hero's Testament
    Banner
    Fire / Wind / Stone

World Breaker
    Maul
    Ice / Fire

Dredger
    Javelin
    Water / Wind / Ice

Bill's Bow
    Longbow
    Fire / Wind

Gasher
    Shortsword
    Water / Ice

Executioner
    Dagger
    Nature / Ice

Hungering Bulwark
    Round Shield
    Stone / Ice

Ursine Ushanka
    Fur Hat
    Ice / Wind / Water

Scholar's Regalia
    Cloth Armor
    Lightning / Wind

Tree Hacker
    Hatchet
    Nature / Wind

11. FriedSushi

May 13, 2010
    No problem. Another tip is to buy at least a couple of those elemental items in the shop whenever you can, because elemental items are hard to come by. So this way you build up a stock of elements and can use them whenever.

12. FriedSushi

May 13, 2010
    #52 FriedSushi, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    List so far of Epics, I'll keep adding on to it. Check page 5 for how to craft them, and thanks to whoever contributes

Arcus Lance
    Spear
    Leaf / Water

Assassin’s Chainmail
    Chainmail
    Fire/Nature

Battlemage Circlet
    Circlet
    Wind/Fire

Bill’s Bow
    Longbow
    Fire/Wind

Captain’s Bicorne
    Cap
    Nature/Water

Captain’s Hook
    Claw
    Fire / Water / Ice

Dragon Lord’s Battle Armor
    Dragon Armor
    Fire/Stone/Wind

Dragon Lord’s Helm
    Winged Helm
    Stone / Wind

Dredger
    Javelin
    Water / Wind / Ice

Executioner
    Dagger
    Nature / Ice

Foesplitter
    Great Axe
    Fire/Lightning

Gasher
    Shortsword
    Water / Ice

Hayoo Guise
    Mask
    Lightning / Water

Hero's Testament
    Banner
    Fire / Wind / Stone

Hungering Bulwark
    Round Shield
    Stone / Ice

Kraken’s Carapace
    Hide Mail
    Fire/Water

Lightning Edge
    Scimitar
    Lightning/Stone/Nature

Marauder Shield
    Kite Shield
    Stone/Water

Molten Skullcap
    Helmet
    Fire / Stone

Needler
    Crossbow
    Fire/Stone

Pain Stick
    Polearm
    Stone/Lightning/Nature

Paragon’s Firmament
    Plate Mail
    Wind / Water

Polymath’s Raiment
    Vestments
    Wind/Nature/Lightning

Pulverizer
    Mace
    Ice/Water

Rainmaker
    Shortbow
    Nature/Lightning

Scholar’s Intuition
    Wizard Hat
    Nature/Wind/Water

Scholar's Regalia
    Cloth Armor
    Lightning / Wind

Stonewall
    Tower Shield
    Stone / Nature

Tempest Blade
    Longsword
    Wind/Fire

Tree Hacker
    Hatchet
    Nature / Wind

Ursine Ushanka
    Fur Hat
    Ice / Wind / Water

Veracity
    Staff
    Lightning/Nature

World Breaker
    Maul
    Ice / Fire

No problem. Another tip is to buy at least a couple of those elemental items in the shop whenever you can, because elemental items are hard to come by. So this way you build up a stock of elements and can use them whenever.

Thanks for adding onto the list

13. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    #53 Barak, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    A few more...

Hayoo Guise (Gotta love the reference)
    Mask
    Lightning/Water

Marauder Shield
    Kite Shield
    Stone/Water

Arcus Lance
    Spear
    Leaf/Water

Molten Skullap
    Helmet
    Fire/Stone

Stonewall
    Tower Shield
    Stone/Leaf

Dragon Lord's Helm
    Winged Helm
    Stone/Wind

Captain's Hook
    Claws
    Fire/Water/Ice

Needler
    Crossbow
    Fire/Stone

Tempest Blade
    Longsword
    Wind/Fire

Dragon Lord's Battle Armor
    Dragon Armor
    Fire/Stone/Wind

Polymath's Raiment
    Vestments
    Wind/Nature/Lightning

and thanks to your guide, I just made this...

Foesplitter
    Great Axe
    Fire/Lightning

14. Darian

Darian Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I see this available at the forge right now:
    Kraken's Carapace
    Hide Mail
    Fire/Water

GameCenter - DarianWebber

15. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Awesome list!!!! Thanks for putting that together.

Pets, how are you guys finding more?! I play all the time and have yet to see/find a second pet!! Any tips?!

16. FGNFC

FGNFC Active Member

May 18, 2014
    looks pretty nice graphic and smooth

graphic look nice

17. Dean10

Dean10 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Just kill monters it will show automatically..

18. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I found the tarantula and the skele, one right after each other, but none since. It's just random while doing missions.

19. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    After getting my 250 monster kill achievement I got 2 pets to spawn one right after the other too. Got a blob and a snow kitty. The kitty is definitely a nice dungeon running pet! Thanks all for posting the crafting combos too. All 3 of my heroes are now running around in full epic gear. Now to keep crafting more to create some nice fear sets for farming/Titans/arena!

20. Richard1978

Richard1978 New Member

Oct 4, 2014
    #60 Richard1978, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Some suggestions for improvement

Dear Backflip Studios and Phobic Studios,

I would really like to throw my money at you, for all the love you put in this little gem. I started 3 different parties and having fun with the game, and I was at the brink of spending the money to get all 5 heroes for one savegame, but I just couldn't do it.

I LOVE the concept of leveling heroes, getting more loot than they can carry and exploring the world and the dungeons, but as others have already said, there's too much downtime, not enough stuff to do.

See, my wife plays Hay Day a lot and even has spent some 50 bucks there. And you know why Hay Day is one of the most financially successful games? Because there's always something meaningful to do - even if you don't spend money on the game! You only have to spend money if you want to achieve something specific(!) faster.

Just let me please give you some advice on easy to implement game design changes that will probably skyrocket the popularity of your game (and of your IAPs of course):

There must always be something meaningful to do. That means:
    1.) Change dungeon progress:
    1.1.) A hero always enters level 1 of a dungeon (a hero is always alone, no party yet).
    1.2.) After a hero kills all monsters on the level of a dungeon, the next level of a dungeon will open up (with the next wave of monsters).
    1.3.) The duration of the fight depends on the strength of the hero compared to the strength of the monster. If either one is much stronger than the other one, the fight will last 10 seconds. If they are both of equal strength then the fight will last x minutes, where x is the level of the dungeon (scale duration between 10 seconds and x minutes depending on the strength difference).
    1.4.) Each monster will drop loot depending on its level (nothing to change here).
    1.5.) If the hero enters the final dungeon level, he will fight a boss (i.e. a normal monster that is stronger). When he kills that monster, he will receive a chest (distribution/value/loot like dungeon level up chest is now).
    Two ideas on the final level:
    1.5.a) The final dungeon level is level 2 for the first dungeon, level 3 for the second ingame dungeon, level 4 for the third ingame dungeon and so on.
    or
    1.5.b) The final dungeon level matches the heroes level (although it could perhaps be difficult to balance the strength of the boss then...)
    1.6.) The dungeon is reset if the hero fails once or if the hero kills the boss (For variant 1.5.b): if the hero kills the boss and levels up because he has gained enough exp, he can enter the dungeon again and has to beat a boss at the next level, after he has fought his way through the lower levels).
    1.7.) As you work on these concepts and future versions, develop it to something like dungeons in World Of Warcraft, where the 5 heroes of the player can enter a dungeon together (with 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 damage dealers - that would actually give us a VERY GOOD REASON to get the additional hero slots) and work their way up to the boss, perhaps add minigames like "One Epic Knight" to make it even more epic). And as you go in this direction, add skill trees ;-)

2.) Change what players can do when they go to sleep:
    2.1.) Introduce "hero training" and "pet training" where a player can train a hero or his pet over night (let's say 4 hours duration or so) and gain exp. This way they can gain a set maximum of exp (let's say 50% of the current level).
    2.2.) Introduce "picklock chest", where a hero has to spend time to open a chest. The duration depends on the quality of the chest, with epic chests needing 24 hours. People can still open chests with premium currency.
    2.3.) Introduce "Search for a pet" where it will take 4 hours for the hero to find a pet. Introduce common (70% of the searches), uncommon (24% of the searches), rare (5% of the searches) and epic pets (1% of the searches). Searching for pets can be sped up with premium currency. The higher the quality of the pet, the cooler it looks and the higher its maximum level. Different stats distributions between pets of the same tier (i.e. if you get an epic pet you don't always get the pet that boosts the stats you want).

3.) Change the way crafting works:
    3.1.) As dungeons are much faster to do now, crafting takes more time:
    3.2.) The time crafting takes depends on:
    a) The level of the item that shall be improved
    b) The number of items added to the crafting table
    c) The quality of the items added to the crafting table
    This scales from 10 seconds (level 1 item improved with another level 1 item) to 1 week (creation or improvement of an epic item).
    d) Crafting can still be sped up with premium currency (at the same rate that dungeons can be sped up right now).
    e) Players can buy additional crafting slots with premium currency (for more than 1 craft at the same time). 5$ for the second slot, 10$ for the third, 20$ for the fourth and so on.

4.) Right now I do not have ideas on how to improve titans and pvp...

I hope this post gives you some interesting ideas.

I will be happy to spend money on your game as soon as your remove the annoying downtimes.

Kind regards,
    Richard