Universal Epic Island - (by Backflip Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I definitely hope these three things you mentioned happen. These are the biggest issues I have with the game right now.

I'm up to the snowy area now, and understand the different uses of the stats better now, so I would like to specialize each character differently. Up until now, I just kept all of their stat points distributed equally. A way to reset their stat points seems like a must for a game like this. I'm really surprised this made it out of beta/soft launch without it.

Re-ordering and renaming the characters is not huge issue, but still something I would really like to be able to do.

And yes, there needs to be more to do while all of your characters are busy. Right now I can only forge stuff and pick up crates. I want to be able to browse through the pets, look at my characters' stats, etc. while they are busy. At least give us that much.

As for the iap stuff, I have to agree that the costs are a bit high. I got the starter pack and felt that wasn't bad, but I'm not really seeing much value in spending money on anything else. I would easily throw another $20 at this game if that $20 actually got me something that felt worth it.

2. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah, this certainly was a fun game for a few days, but I just couldn't see keeping it for any length of time. There is no variety in things too do, and even in terms of pure quantity you run out of busy work really quickly. The timers are all over the place so there was no consistency in when I'd have to/could log on to do more. Overall a lot of missed opportunities to make a half decent, entertaining freemium title.

3. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    You did it in the wrong order - if you plan to invest money in the game, you should purchase the "starter pack" LAST and buy one (or two) character slots with gems FIRST. That way you can buy the most expensive character slot and it still only costs $3.99 (or your region's equivalent.)

Of course, this means you're investing even MORE money in the game to get the additional slot(s), but since the last character slot costs 2,500(!) Gems, it's your best approach if you think you'll play the game for awhile.

I imagine I'll lose interest in the game after a couple weeks, but I can give a bit of a donation to Backflip Studios for the time I've gotten out of their previous titles.

4. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Ugh, wish I had thought of that Laire when I started! I guess I didn't expect such a big jump in hero costs considering this game has some pretty bad timers on everything.

Dungeon timers need to be reduced. I would rather sit a hero on a Titan for 30mins + than down in a dungeon for that amount of time. PvP and Titan timers feel just right to me and don't have an issue with those. Hopefully we'll see an update soon to address some of these concerns and make the game more enjoyable.

Also, if you connect via Game Center for iOS users you can swap chests too. Add away, Piscinarii. I need more loot!

5. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    The game actually rewards a decent amount of gems if you smash the chests. That also is a good source of gold. I was able to get the third character slot within 2 days of playing. Once I realized this and prioritized unlocking additional areas to get more chests to appear. I have the lightning area unlocked now as well. I was kind of lucky in that I noticed that single stats seem to be better overall for the characters early on so i started another save file.

For newer players, the lower left area unlock starts access to factions where you can buy faction gear that can be upgraded with faction points. It's a good way to get decent weapon/armors. This should be the first area unlocked with gold.

The upper right area unlocks a pet it basically acts like an additional item with a % boost to certain stats or bonus type. It's also upgradeable but costs a good amount of gold and time to upgrade. This area also unlocked another global boss.

The lightning area only seems to unlock another global boss.

If anyone wants friends, contact me via gamecenter: Dotaru

6. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    The game draws you in just enough to make you want to buy some gems. I totally would if i knew Backflip didn't have some other sneaky wall in the game the way they hike the character slot prices up with each one, and hike the prices of each chest up. The higher the zone, the more gems to open. An uncommon chest from Plant zone is 25 gems, but it's about 100 from the lightning zone. crazy! I got a epic fire chest that i'm sitting on because it costs a ridiculous 200 gems.

They should really put in daily quests, similar to the kill quests in the boasting halls, so you could get a few more free gems a day.

7. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The game is more fair-to-play then it seems at first. The 200 gem chest GUARANTEES an epic item. Worth the gems, in my mind. Also, gems come quickly through the little chests you open and through achievements, as well as the current PvP battle awards 200 gems for the top 5% which has proven surprisingly easy so far (I have gotten the top reward for every Titan and PvP season that I have tried to).

8. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Ok, I didn't think I would enjoy a game based completely on timers. Backflip, you guys are good.

Anyway... stats.

There's only three stats to level, keeping things minimal. But I'm an OCD min/maxer so it is bugging me. Here's the description on stats:

Attack - good for dungeons
    Defense - good for fighting Titans
    Magic - good for dungeons and fighting Titans

Looking at that simply, I would think to just level up Magic and ignore the other two stats. But I know there's more to it than that. So far I only have two characters and I have been going 2 attack/1 defense every level. My third character I unlock I may go pure magic.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea for the first 3 characters to be "pure" attack, defense, and magic. Then you have 2 characters for dungeons and one for Titans, with the Magic stat character being able to handle Titans as well.

9. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    Hey All,

I'm one of the developers over at Backflip Studios who works on Epic Island and I thought I'd chime in a bit.

First of all, very glad to see many of you are enjoying the game! We had a lot of fun making it and it's always great to see people enjoying what we've created :D

We understand that some people might might be put off by some of the gem prices on things, but if you look at the design as a whole, Epic Island is a game meant to be played over a long period of time. EVERYTHING in the game is achievable without spending a dime, and that isn't just through saving up gems either. There are a ton of really fun epic items in the game, and while you can get them quickly by opening chests, you can also craft them with the right combinations. It's something we aren't too clear on within the game yet so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if you all can find the combinations :)

While I won't give away any of the games secrets, and there are a lot, believe me, I'd be happy to answer what questions I can. We also read what our players are saying and take everything into consideration for future updates, so please keep the feedback coming because we're listening!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

10. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Gem prices don't really bother me except when looking to move from 3 heroes to 5 heroes. There is definitely a big leap in cost for a game that has timers for everything your heroes can do. I really hope there are opportunities to review the paywall for maxing out your hero total as I already dropped $4 which is a typical app cost in order to get my 3rd hero. Now I look at the game and see all 3 heroes are sitting at 20mins for their timers which definitely reducing my eagerness to play this game a lot.

I agree you all do a wonderful job handing out loot and from Titans to PvP gear and even gifted chests from friends give good loot, just not enough heroes to gear up and play with at a reasonable cost.

11. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Whats the benefit of equipment in dungeons? I sick my heroes on npc baddies, wait the timer, win. Is there a benefit to having a better weapon with higher dps?

12. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Your stats seem to matter in the later dungeons. My defense hero fails on a ton of stuff that my attack hero can beat. The magic hero is somewhere in between at the moment.

I'm also pleasantly suprised that it's possible to find pets besides the first introduction one. I've had two pets show up for me to tame so far.

13. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    It's great to see a dev posting here. Thanks! :)

I have to say, after playing Dragonvale, I'm a bit embarrassed that I never thought about epic items being able to be crafted with the right combination of materials. Of course you guys designed the game that way! Haha. So now I'm on a mission to discover some recipes... :)

I have a question about the arena. What do the crowns mean that are listed on some opponents? I haven't figured that one out yet.

Also, since you're here, please, please, please add some way to reset character stats. I know it's been said before, but I just wanted to really stress this need.

Thanks for making this game. I'm really enjoying it. This game has a lot of charm. I really like the art style, the music, the whimsical nature, and the overall theme. I really appreciate how polished this is, too. Well done! I've already purchased the starter and pet packs. Thanks!

14. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    There are definitely benefits. If you click on the little arrows next to the rewards on the monster completion screen it might give you a few hints.

You can find all the pets in the game :)

Glad you're liking it! We're working on a way to introduce players to crafting epic items a little more, because it's pretty hidden right now. Every item in the game has an epic version of it, and they are indeed epic!

The crown simply means they have a faction reward from the previous week, so you might want to take that into account when you fight an opponent.

We'll be adding a way to reset hero stats in the next update :)

15. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Awesome, thanks for the reply! :)

Oh, and you just made my day with the stat reset info. Very good news, indeed!

16. Dean10

Dean10 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Hope there will be a multiplayer system in the game and something that you can do while waiting for titan/dungeon cooltime.. :)

17. Genocide788

Genocide788 New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Just started out 2 days ago.. Enjoying the game so far. I have to add however like some of the members mentioned there needs to be something for the players to do while questing. Otherwise it gets boring.

I need some friends on this to send and recv chests.. Do add me up on Game Center please; GeNoCiDeX-

18. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    There seem to be "daily" arena battles based off of a particular stat. Yesterday's was defense, for example, and today's is magic.

So if you have a character specifically targeting each attribute and can log on every 5-6 hours or so to use your arena fights, you can get in the Top 5% of that attribute. The single-attribute top prizes seem to be 200 Gems each time, which is a lot better than smashing thousands of crates to hit that level! :)

19. Genocide788

Genocide788 New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Is there no element table in this game? Most games that involve multiple elements have a chart to show you which elements work against which. I have yet to come across one.

20. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I restarted my account yesterday by logging out of GameCenter, and redownloading the app. Logged back into a fresh account and made my first two characters pure Attack and Magic. Once I get enough gems for a third character I'll make him pure Defense. I already seem to be winning a lot more in the Arena with this strategy.

Note: I know you can make multiple profiles on the same GCenter in this game but I'm OCD like that lol.