Universal Epic Flail™ (by Noxus Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Bonston

Bonston New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Hi guys.

I am actually reviewing Epic Flail for a website at the moment and thought to give you some feedback in the good ol anonymity of the internet.

Picking up the game was frustrating as hell, because the brief tutorial gave me the impression that I could master the game with skill alone. Dodging attacks, make cool aerial moves to gut my opponents and rolling around doing merciless counter attacks on the mark. The result was me dying countless times, failing any of those moves mentioned above because the virtual joystick is not only very inaccurate on the diagonal moves (as mentioned in a comment above) but also frequently fails me when I plan my moves ahead because 70% of the time when I do two quick movements with my thumb, only one of them gets recognised and mostly ends in a bloody death.

The first ten or so tries resulted in a highscore of about 3. Only then I started to not to try to be skillful and just bash away, doing only approximate movements and it jumped my Highscore up to over 50 just like that and the game opened up to me at that point.

I really have had fun matches and the game has so much going for it. You guys downright nailed graphics and settings and those arenas are just goddamn fun to play. It's just that I think this game has way more in it if the controls were more accurate and would allow for a more skillful approach to slice up people. So far there is no MFI controller support as far as I've seen. That's something I'd really love to see as a physical joystick would probably up the controll a fair bit.

This all sounded pretty bad as the bad feedback took way more space in this post. Just to clarify:

THIS IS A GOOD AND FUN GAME YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GIVE IT A TRY

Especially with the outlook of getting awesome multiplayer. If you implement controller support, how about some local multiplayer? I think people are not quite there yet but why not be ahead of the game :)

Anyway keep it up guys, hope to see some good updates in the future.

2. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    Thanks dude for the reply.

Our plans for the next update include:
    Improved controls, as some people wish for more accuracy which is fair.
    We used Unity3D to create the game and trying to track down if its something to do with version we used to create the game.

In terms of controllers MFI, was not sure which one is most popular.
    We intend to add local multiplayer where you can play a friend against each other with controllers and maybe over bluetooth, some stuff is already coded for this.

Then we plan for more complex multiplayer.

Bare with us as we just polishing the remaining smaller platforms such as windows mobile/desktop,Amazon and finally plan to release on Steam.

Thanks.

3. Bonston

Bonston New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Sounds like there's a lot more coming, makes Epic Flail even more worth the price tag. Keep up the good work, I quite like it so far and think this could become an extraordinary game! Excited for the updates folks!

4. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    Thanks, let us know what you wish to see personally in the next release, so we know which new feature to give priority to.

5. Bonston

Bonston New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Sure will shoot you guys an email with some feedback and ideas later if you don't mind.

6. Boyen

Boyen Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    I second the sentiment that this is a really good game. I downloaded it yesterday and it justs put a smile on my face every time I play it!

It is hard though and quite unforgiving. A more extensive tutorial wouldn't hurt. And a game like this needs very exact controls. Right now I just assume that I cannot make the diagonal movements and try to manage with only horizontal and vertical movements.

7. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    #27 noxus, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Thanks dude for the feedback

Which device do you have and firmware?

We tested on most iOS devices (iPhones and iPads) and right now on my personal iPhone 6 I can definitely do all movements including diagonal,the player can also do a roll as mentioned where he holds down and diagonal. Maybe need increase size of the joystick so easier for people to select?

I think it just takes some time to get use to the game, newbie its hard first time you start and then once you master it, gets better :)

8. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I think having a set joystick on screen as opposed to the floating joystick will definitely help to alleviate the issues with diagonal movement. I constantly reposition my fingers on-screen and I'm wondering if this is why a few people have mentioned diagonal attacks not seeming to work (and I'm experiencing the same). I am on a iPhone 6 Plus if that helps any.

9. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Everyone thinks I'm angry, I'm not angry. I guess it's iust hard to read the mood over text. I live in the US and given the politcal climate and recent events, I have plenty of things to be angry about, but this is not one of them. I may however have been condescending and impolite.

10. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Weird, I'm not usually like that. Totally jumped the gun and didn't see the tweets. I'm all like "copyright infringement" and then read the tweets and was like, no, real people, indie devs, actually communicating. Sorry, I'm a jackass sometimes, as MC knows :p

11. Boyen

Boyen Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    It's not that, it's how far out on the joystick you need to go before up/down/left/right/diagonal movement is detected. So basically joystick sensitivity. heroes of loot 2 had the same problem and fixed it with a senstivity slider on the joystick.

Using a Nexus Shield for reference. It's worse on larger devices as the area you need to cover is bigger.

12. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    #32 noxus, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Hii,

We released an update to improve on the controls.
    Please check your updates on phone and download latest.
    Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you

13. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

Excited to arrive here and read this. I downloaded the game for Android on the strength of the Pocket Gamer review. Could see that it's something original and interesting, but did find it very difficult. I'll go and give it another go.

14. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I still cannot get diagonal moves to trigger with any kind of regularity. I honestly believe an option to plant that joystick permanently on the left side instead of the floating stick will correct this issue. That and a way to position it in the options (and I'm sure the ability to resize it would be welcome as well). I'm also noticing that most of the time, the enemy is off screen sonewhere, which is a bit of a hinderance.... maybe if the camera panned out further? Idk, this game is on the verge of greatness but the inability to trigger diagonal attacks most of the time leaves me to doing jump and dive kills, as attacking from left to right seems to only be blocked by the enemy. But yeah, it still seems only 4-way movement is possible most of the time. I love this game, so I hope this feedback helps.

15. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    Hey, back to the drawing boards we go. Like you said. I think its time to implement fixed controls on screen. Or at least give player options on screen.

There are 3 things we could possibly do.
    1) Keep fixing these existing controls
    2) Add fixed controls as mentioned
    3) Add a whole new mechanism style like Fruit Ninja.

And we add all three and let the user choose how they wish to play?
    What do you think?

16. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

I'd agree that this one seems worth a go, feels logical.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I say add them all as options. It's a fun game nonetheless. It's really hard but that's not a bad thing.

I'll be honest as hard as I try I simply cannot get it to do diagonal attacks. It's either up and down or side to side. I'm just letting you know so you know it's not just one person.

Billy

18. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
  19. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    Does anyone know how to get reviewed by TouchArcade? Any info would be great. Thank you

20. noxus

noxus Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Oct 5, 2014
    Noxus Ltd
    London, United Kingdom
    NEW UPDATE + LIMITED TIME PRICE DROP
    Hi guys & girls, we are excited to announce the update we have all been looking forward too. Your great feedback made this update possible. We bring to you... NEW CONTROLS!

• Revamped and New controls added. Choose from 3 types: Fixed, Float and Swipe (swipe like you favorite ninja fruit slicer), try all three and see what’s best for you
    • Graphic and UI tweaks
    • Updated build settings and performance

The reason we have done a limited time price drop is because sales of Epic Flail have really fallen so we need all all the help we can get to somehow bring it back into the charts.