Universal Endless Drive (by FrozenPepper)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by FrozenPepper, Dec 21, 2017.

1. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I’m running the game on an iPhone X and there are no issues at all. I figured out the controls quite easily. I also switched up the controls to accelerometer and prefer it over the steering wheel. Great casual driving game! I really like the idea of being able to make turns offs onto different kinds of roads. Well done!!

2. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    FYI, when I first saw E.D., I thought of erectile dysfunction as well. Thought it was funny but it doesn’t really bother me at all.

3. FrozenPepper

FrozenPepper Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Great to hear it was working fine on iPhone X, thanks for reporting it, we where starting to think it could have been some kind of bug on that device causing control problems.

Very glad someone noticed it, always nice to find people capable of recognising Zappa's work.

It actually had a long and troubled development, first a simple procedural engine test, then, procedural terrain + procedural roads (adapting from a previous game of ours a procedural "canyon generator"), then we thought of building a full fledged driving RPG around it, then nothing for months, then, not happy of how the RPG side was coming and not having the means to make it tolerable for us, we scaled it down to "pure" driving experience which was what we always enjoyed about the project...... A fun, long and bumpy ride, basically game development :)...

Huge thanks, and love the tank idea................. hum............ we might actually seriously work on it, since I've read it I couldn't think of much else than driving a tank on the country road :)

In general, great thanks to all for the kind, supportive and especially for us, motivational words, we truly appreciate them and mean a lot to us.
    Soon coming, details of next update with many improvements thanks to TouchArcade users.

4. ErikSPdx

ErikSPdx Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 21, 2011
    Great concept, but controls need work

I really like the idea of this game- but I’m finding several aspects very awkward.

- I want to use accelerometer steering, but the ‘calibrate’ function isn’t very clear about what it’s doing. I can’t get the game into a steerable state.
    - the gas/brake control doesn’t seem to work very well, or maybe I just don’t understand it... Many racing games have auto-accelerate & just need a button for brake/reverse— did you consider that method?
    - The “radio” seems to continue after I exit to menu, etc.

Devs- any comments on these issues, or am I missing something?

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I drove off the road through a gap in the guardrail to see what would happen and I fell through the ground until I could only spin around the sky until I had to quit.
    I wasn't expecting to fall off the map that quickly. Would be fun to wander off road until another one or some town or city came up.

6. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the feedback !
    - Calibrate button should record rotation of device once you press it, using that rotation as a neutral one for accelerometer steering. (but there could be a bug on your device model, so if doesn't appear to work let me know which device you are playing on and will investigate).
    - Gas/Brake should reset it's "neutral" position each time you drop your finger on the right side of the screen, first touch position will be used as a "0" input and dragging the finger upwards should then accelerate, while dragging it below original touch position should brake.
    This said, we are working on new control schemes selectable from options panel and auto-accelerate can surely be one. In the meantime you can use the cruise control for a vaguely similar effect. Press on right side, drag your finger up to accelerate until wanted speed and then press the cruise control icon (bottom center right of screen near the headlights icon).
    - Radio continuing to work.... shouldn't be happening, will fix.

Cool idea that of wandering off road, unfortunately with current version of game to much cpu is dedicated (well, according to device) to road colliders generation, so we didn't have cpu left to process also terrain collisions. But it's definitely something we would love to have, so maybe we can add something similar to an "off-road" mode which doesn't generate the roads and instead dedicates all available computing power to terrain collision handling. Definitely a good suggestion, we had been talking about it and hopefully we will be able to improve current state. Could I ask on which road you where when you found a gap on the guard rail ?

Huge thanks again to all for the feedback, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all here and their families !

7. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Happy holidays to you!

I am not sure which road, but I had left a service station and did a u-turn back to it when I saw the gap.
    I have a strange fascination with going out of a game's bounds when possible. So of course I had to try it.

8. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks ! About the fascination for testing game bounds.... can definitely relate to that :)

Happy to inform all that a decently big update should soon be approved by apple, bringing many fixes, better handling for some of the cars, reduced ads rate, better accelerometer calibration display and the possibility to have a fixed steering wheel joystick. Also, we have added the possibility to increase and decrease the cruise control speed once activated, so that when cruising you can better adjust desired speed and use even less the regular accelerator/brake joystick.

9. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Thanks for listening and improving
    This has lots of potential and I’m sure it will just get better from here
    Great work on it though

10. Qw3rTYz

Qw3rTYz Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Really enjoying the game so far. I have a suggestion. Could you add a slider to adjust the center deadzone for steering? Also are you planning to add mfi support at some point? Thanks for creating a driving game with decent physics and no bullsh... around it. Just plain driving I love it!

11. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the suggestions and support !

Now working on implementing a dead zone slider, cool suggestion, thanks !

New Update is available on the AppStore, and happy to write that a new one will be submitted in a few hours, bringing a fix to a very annoying bug which was following us since early development and could never (until today !!!) isolate it and fix it. Bug is/was that of the slight "flicker" in the sky every "x" distance. It is/was due to us having to move the whole game world quite frequently to avoid variables precision issues with distances involved in the game, the sky unfortunately wasn't fully cooperating... But now it is gone and a new update is on the way. We are also trying to squeeze into this update the cool suggestion by Qw3rTYz of a dead zone slider for the steering joystick.
    Great thanks to all for the support and feedback it is a pleasure to work with such a great community.

12. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Excellent game and I'd like to purchase a car or two but I'm getting quite a bit of flicker, mainly in the service areas. When that gets straightened out I'll definitely add a car or two to my collection. Can't wait to see how this game develops.
    Running an iPad Pro 12.9.

P.S. +1 on the tank idea #

13. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the feedback !!! If possible, could you provide a little more details on the flicker ? Is it on the ground where the parking areas are, and does it happen more on some specific type of road or biome ? Any additional info would help a lot to speed up the fix.

14. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    The flicker is mostly on the ground in the parking areas but is also in reflections on the car. Shadows (car) are also blocky and move in an unnatural way. Tough to explain exactly. There is just too much shadow and reflection activity with both appearing blocky where graphics should be smooth.

I have also experienced a few lockups. "Loading" appears in the bottom/right corner but nothing occurs after that. I'm forced to reboot.

I am using the accelerometer but get the steering wheel graphic in the center of my screen at the start of each game. I have to enter Options to deselect then reselect accelerometer each time in order to get rid of the wheel.

Hope this helps a little.

15. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the detailed info it is very helpful. Hope to have soon a fix for most of the reported problems.
    If the lockups happen again, any info would be great, such as if you where loading a new game, going back to main menu or any other situation that caused the loading screen to appear.

16. YaoYao

YaoYao Active Member

May 21, 2014
    Does anyone know if there's any way to drop Wanted level?

17. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Wanted level should drop every few minutes without being caught by speed traps and/or police cars.

18. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Happy to write that a new update is now available for Endless Drive bringing a reduced runtime memory use (especially on older devices) and a greatly reduced download and instal size. Game should now be downloadable over cellular network.

We are also working on the possibility to drive "off road". Idea would be that of selecting one or more specific vehicles that would start off road and able to drive wherever they want over the infinite procedural scenario, with something equivalent to current service stations scattered across the scenario to allow vehicle repairs and refuelling. Due to runtime generation constraints we would probably not be able to generate roads together with drivable terrain, making the "off-road" mode basically a separate game mode. Would love to hear some feedback about this possibility.

19. Qw3rTYz

Qw3rTYz Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Hi, could you please add a switch to turn the birds off? I'm getting awful fps frops since the new update and I'm suspecting either the birds or the fireworks to be the cause.

20. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the feedback, working on a new update now. Could I ask you what device model you are experiencing the problem on ?