Emulation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by FraggleJP, Jun 21, 2013.

1. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I hate when some ass reports about a free way to emulate stuff and now it's being shut down. If they weren't reported, Apple wouldn't have really cared. Now my DS games are worthless until another way is found. :/

2. yellowknife

yellowknife Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    For those with apps no longer working, have you tried airplane mode?

3. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    I was told that after a few days, eventually this trick doesn't work anymore.

4. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    That's a great way for you not to find out about free ways to emulate stuff.

5. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    I found out through forums and friends, just like most people. If it's being reported its probably already been out for a while.

6. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Well if you think about it, forum posts count as reporting. You and your friends find out through forums... Anyway, I don't really want to say anything. I just didn't like your use of "ass".

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love emulation don't get me wrong but 'some' devs will lose out due to these apps. I bought R-Type the app the other day. I could play it on Gridlee or a version on the SNES but I wanted to support the dev. Others would probably just play the free version they have on an emulator

If you were a dev and were about to release a game which was an old 90s classic game for example, you would be upset if someone had an emulator which meant people could download the rom and play it on that instead wouldn't you?

Apple cares as emulators can hurt devs sales. I'm in the middle, I love many old classic games but many people just want a freebie

8. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #48 Gwarmaxx, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    partially agree with you, but is also true that some games don't belong to anyone actually, in terms of copyrights, so we can play them only on emus... ie, i'm playing a lot Super Star Wars saga (still awesome games) on SNES emulator in my iPhone, as well as Addams Family, Indiana Jones and many more that will never appear in the Appstore, can assure you! who has the rights of those games? the devs team are gone a long time ago, Lucasarts, Ocean, THQ, etc are all dead, Disney doesn't care of old games... why should not play them on a emu? ;)

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree. A lot of old games are just 'floating' around with no ownership. If you wanted to make a legal version it's difficult to know who to contact

And again due to retro fans and emulators they helped make retro popular again. Lots of companies are rereleasing old games and making money from them. Just wish we could get more retro compilations on the App Store

10. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    For me, emulating a classic is a tempory means of having a blast from the past.. Until the original or new licence holder releases the app for any platform. I will happily buy any classic I want... And there are many :) Typical example is R-Type being released etc and classic Sonic 1. Insta-bought them :)

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Having a fun time playing Blaster, Defender, Joust on the Gridlee. Plus the fact Gridlee is icade compatible works great for me too! Haven't seen a glimmer of hope that there will be official App Store versions so yeah it's ok to relive a slice of the past. I've been very supportive of Devs though that release older games so everything is fine:) I've bought many Namco , Neo Geo etc apps including Pacman and many others but I also have them on Gridlee!
    Fun times we live in

12. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    btw, back in the days i owned all those SNES, Genesis, GB, etc cartridges, as today i've bought many classics in the appstore, but there are some games "floating around", like you said, that i've carried in my heart for all this years, which never see the light again, like the ones that i mentioned... i love to play them again and they are still fully playable! :)

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah I buy any retro game I can (even if I have it on gridlee). Do feel 'some' companies take the biscuit. Eg Miday arcade is superb at its price (no new games added though) whereas the Namco one is quite expensive. Just wish they updated it more. Used to like the capcom arcade app but they stopped adding games to it

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Ah,the good old Capcom Arcade app :) I still have the old version, which gave you 3 free coins daily to play any arcade machine for free. I refrained from updating the app.. turns out the "minor bug fix' actually removed that feature, and now you have to buy coins i believe lol. Bad move by CC.

15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #55 Gwarmaxx, Jul 20, 2013
    yessss, i'm still love Capcom Arcade, i've boguht all the Arthur saga & Final Fight, and imo is better than original iMAME/Gridlee arcade versions, 'cause of customizable joy/buttons positions.
    have you tried Contra Evolution? i'm loving it, awesome version for a buck!
    btw, i've still installed the old R-Type version from DotEmu/EA, is there any substantial difference with the new one that's worth buying?

16. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #56 Gov, Jul 20, 2013
    Hey, I don't play R-type (both emu or iOS) I just used that as an example in my previous post. I mainly into fighting games.. Maybe someone else will answer your question.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think contra evolution isn't bad at all. The r-type app seems more polished. Better UI. No crappy ios style popups if you want to quit the game. There's more changes mentioned in the r-type thread

Wish apps like the midway arcade one added more games. Capcom arcade isn't bad but I wish the filesizes weren't huge

18. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    The problem is that Nintendo isn't doing this. I'm using emulation because some company refused to make games for mobile. Lugging around a DS is pretty annoying. How old is pokemon yellow, is it nearing the end of its copyright claim?

19. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    #59 MystikSun, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    Just because you really really really want to play a game without carrying another device doesn't give you the right to use emulators. Nintendo has the right to decide how they want to distribute games that they own the rights to. Stupid that they won't take advantage of a large community that wouldn't wait to jump on their re-releases, I know. But that doesn't mean you can download games that you didn't buy the right to because you really want them.

The moral of the story is: Just emulate if you want to emulate. I can't stop you. But if you try to argue your way by saying that pirating is justified by being too lazy to lug around a DS or a game being too old, then i'm going to say something about it.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Agree with the above. I mean moaning about taking one a Nintendo DS ? A handheld device ! How about us oldies who moan that we cant take around 5 or 6 arcade machines !!

Its a huge grey area, i feel emulator authors and retro fans like ourselves have made retro popular again. Previously these old games were gathering dust, IP owners not bothered about them, just deserted. Then emulation became popular and companies thought 'cha ching' money to be made ! And re-released them.

Despite owning some games on 8 bit or 16 bit i dont feel bad that i have to pay for a new iOS version. The thought of having so many of my favourite games over the years on ONE device is amazing.

Equally its frustrating when a lot of favourites i cant get, thats up to the companies of course (specially Nintendo), thats their choice. Frustrating for us as we're the ones losing out.

I mean if they released Mario Land for say $9.99 they would make a fortune. Sadly cant see that happening.

Games i cant buy on iOS i dont feel guilty if i can emulate them, if i have a game on Gridlee which has been released on iOS (Eg R-Type) then i'll buy the iOS game to support the devs. Got a feeling 'some' people wont and thats where emulation is bad.