Emulation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by FraggleJP, Jun 21, 2013.

1. JustMeNow

JustMeNow Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Male
    What I was thinking is that Nintendo could release an emulator of one of their discontinued systems (ex:NES/SNES) for a pretty high price ($9,99 - $19,99) for iOS but then allow ROM downloads from a Nintendo-trusted ROM site for free.

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Some things are locked on a non-jail broken iPhone other than root access. Stuff like locked-down software plugins that will make emus like play station not work unless you actually jailbreak. So your best bet is to go android if your more into emulation. Unless apple change there policy's in the near future.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    But why bother with that when you can have Super GNES AND all the roms you want for free on the Android? Everything you want! Check that out! It's the absolute easiest to use!

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That wouldn't happen anyway. Look at the Sonic games on iOS, they're doing pretty well. Nintendo would make far more money selling their games individually.

5. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Like I said, you can have it like that NOW on the Android!

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah but for many of us we dont want an Android or extra device. If i wanted emulators i could get a PSP, a GP2X, Nintendo DS, Pandora or other handheld device.

I've already got an iphone and an ipod touch. I dont want a third device which would strictly be for emulators. Dont get me wrong its tempting but one great thing i love about my iphone is i have nearly everything i want on it. Want to read a book i can, want to read graphic novels i can, want to watch a movie i can, want to play a wide wide range of games i can.

I would be tempted to switch to Android but i have SO many apps i've got on iOS i'm sticking with it

7. JustMeNow

JustMeNow Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Male
    Because I don't want an Android. Because iOS is better in my opinion. And because I don't like Google (long story). And because Apple's AppStore has more apps. And because my device has many functions that I couldn't transfer/get on Android. And more reasons but I'm not going to list them all because that would be a waste of your time. If you want to find out why iOS is better than Android, just search it up.

8. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #28 bigrand1, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    Believe me when I say I already know IOS is better than Android! I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck, man. I've had 2 iPhones, 3 iPod touches, and 2 iPads so far. But then I just had to have the Samsung Galaxy Note ll because that blows on the iPhone in every way, but anyhow, so now I can play with both and am quickly gaining knowledge of Android-based everything. But Android has great potential and will after a bit be serious competition! There are things on Android you just can't get on IOS and that is what I was noting with the last couple of posts here. Just saying, ' hey, this is available now!' to people who are wishing to have these emulators, and that the Android has them in spades! Many people have different devices and are interested in these things even if some others are not. The Play store isn't very user-friendly in terms of finding out what's available at this point even though there are lots of things available there. You really have to dig. With some good people and a little more time, though, it'll play catch up. New things and sites are springing up all the time! And Apple needs the competition to keep their edge, so, really, it's all good. If I see something that could help someone else out who could be interested, I'll continue to post that, too. You can't make everyone happy, and that's the way it goes.

9. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #29 RoboWarrior, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    We get it you like your android Phablet.

I'm just hoping the coding for the ds emulators will get better so I can play pokemon platinum at 60 fps rather than 30. Lugging around a 3ds is a pain in the ass.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've got plenty of mobile games to keep me busy, probably for the next million years, so I'll just have to play my ROMs at home on a PC, where they look and perform even better :p

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    The performance of the DS emulators should be getting better soon. If I recall correctly, I'm fairly certain I read that Just in time compilation is almost fully working which will drastically improve the performance.

12. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I read that the iPhone 5 could play Super Mario at 60 but playing in the 4S, it couldn't even reach 30. This is definitely great news.

13. FraggleJP

FraggleJP Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah, they really seem to be actively updating it, and making good progress!

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've got Gridlee (MAME) and love it but i do wish devs would release more old games. I'm sure theres a lot of companies sat on their old games who own the IP but just dont seem bothered to convert it

I buy as many old arcade games as i can from the app store but it can be frustrating. Midway Arcade is a great app but they never seem to add any games to it. The Namco one 'could' be good but thats a bit of a joke with over the top expensive prices and again a few updates. I used to like Capcom Arcade but that filesize was pretty large for what it was and the controls weren't that good.

The best ones for me personally are the Activision Anthology and Atari app, but again because of all the copyright/IP holders etc you get to lose out on a fair few games, would love to play the original Space Invaders which came out on the wooden Atari 2600 but you cant. Frustrating.

You see quite a few compilation apps on other machines like the Sega Arcade Gallery and things, wish we had more of that on iOS

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey guys, is there a way to back-up the downloaded emu? (in case emu4iOs disappears from the net).

thanks!

16. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Is it possible to mess around with the screen orientation and controls for the SNES emulator?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just can't seem to figure it out!

Cheers

17. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i can't find a way for the issue dogface, i'm playing on SiOS, it's better than SNES4iOS

btw, anyone know how to make back up copy of an emu downloaded from emu4iOS site?
    there's no ipa file in de sys op, but the app physically exist!
    i want to back-up the app!

18. Devlin234

Devlin234 Member

Oct 3, 2010
    How do you get rooms on SiOS? Please help? :D thanks

19. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    do you have SNES4iOS or SiOS working actually?
    seems that Apple made some corrections, 'cause i can't run the emu anymore, and can't reinstall any of them also.
    can you try if your app runs?

20. adriilabsjoy

adriilabsjoy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    mines not working anymore :/