Universal Ember (by 505 Games (US), Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Sep 14, 2016.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Amen, brother!

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Haha you werent going to buy it anyway lets be real!

3. olon97

olon97 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2015
    #343 olon97, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Enjoying the game. It seems to me that it is using battery when my iPad is asleep. Stopped playing last night at 70% and iPad was drained when I woke. The Battery tab in Settings shows Ember as 100% of battery use in the last 24 hours.

I'll just remove the app from memory when I'm not playing, but the drain while inactive is probably something worth fixing if it's happening to anyone else. <edit: probably a hardware issue>

4. Bethor

Bethor Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    No, I had every intention to buy the game when I got home. That's how I found out about the price change. It may be a few bucks more but there is no way an iOS app should be the same price as it is on PC.

3 gigs is a lot of realestate on an iPad and with the PC game priced at the same price it makes me wonder if they will get fair treatment. Usually PC gets priority then most company's work on the mobile systems.

If I am wrong I can admit it. Could you please tell me one game where a developer updated both The PC and mobile game at the same time?

In my experience PC takes priority.

5. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Oooohhhh... I had originally said a d-pad would be best for moving, but I also really like the idea of pressing and holding around the edges. Either one would provide a much better experience.

I just gave this a 5 star review on the app store. (truth being told, if there was a 4.5 option I'd do that since I really wish there were another way to move.)

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Manners, please.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #347 Nullzone, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Well, that's where you are wrong, in my opinion. A good game is a good game, no matter which platform. iOS is my only gaming platform, and personally - and yes, I know I'm a minority - I don't see any reason why games on iOS should cost less.

Regarding updates to the iOS version you'll have to wait for Pup to chime in.
    Can't comment on the rest, as I left non-iOS gaming behind years ago.

8. billmo

billmo Member

May 9, 2012
    Just want to say, this game is the best. We need more like this on the App Store. Well done 505 Games.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I've got news. It's so good you've been playing it in your sleep.

10. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I simply don't understand this way of reasoning.
    This game is exactly the same as the pc version. It is not dumbed down nor does it contain any iap's. I have both the Steam and iOS version btw.
    The only differences are with pc you can play on a bigger screen and you have a keyboard and mouse.

In my case the game looks a lot better on my iPads Retina display than my 27" monitor.
    And I find the touch screen controls are just as good as using the mouse.

The pc and iOS versions were developed simultaneously so the mobile version is not a port of the pc version and vice-versa.

There is no valid reason I can think of, with this game especially, why the pc and iOS version should not be the same price.

11. Robulous

Robulous Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    So, I've searched this thread and can't find the answer I'm looking for. By, sorry if it's here and I just couldn't find it.

How do I see the recipies I've learned? I've seen here how to get them from the inventory to a recipe list, but I can't find that recipe list.

Have I not unlocked that menu portion yet (I just got to Radiance for the first time), or am I just missing it?

12. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I had the same question a ways back. There are tabs in your journal. Check those. I'm also notice that after reading a recipe my journal glows, which is a good reminder but I think the tutorial couldnhave covered more.

13. Robulous

Robulous Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Ah! At thebTOP of the journal. I was looking everywhere else. Thanks!

14. belon_cfy

belon_cfy Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Too bad, the price has been increased since I knew this game. Will instant buy when the price drop again.

15. nworbled

nworbled New Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm new to the world of video games on iPad. Does this game require me to be connected to wi-fi to play? I'm going on a fairly long trip where I won't have internet connectivity so I'm looking to buy games that I can just download onto my iPad that won't require me to be connected to play. Also, any other RPGs that don't require internet connectivity to play? Reviews for Bastion and Oceanhorn look pretty good. Thanks in advance!

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Does not require Internet

And those other games you mentioned do not require Internet.

I thoroughly recommend xcom also.

There's plenty of RPGs like final fantasy and chaos rings that don't require Internet.
    If you have an iPad then Baldur's gate or icewind dale are probably the closest things to this. iPad because there's so much going on in those games graphically that just like this game, they suffer on small screens.

17. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    A suggestion, though I know it's possibly impractical to alter the game mechanics.

I said earlier that the energy system made the game more strategic but after playing a while, it's such a tedious pain in the ass to trudge to a merchant to buy more vials that I succumbed to the easy path and sleep after fights. I'd like to see something that meshes with the current gameplay and lets you get more while out in the wilderness. I havent palyed far as I don't get alot of time to do so, so maybe you CAN make your own energy later on?

Anyway, my suggestion. Make it so killing some of those cute animals yields energy. I have moral qualms about killing bunnies and deer, lol, even though theyre just pixels. Having to kill some animals to get more energy would make sense. The bigger the critter, the bigger the yield. A pop up note saying you made one energy vial would be simple? And then add one to the inventory. The one drawback is maybe a bunny should only get you a tiny amount while a bear should yield a lot.

This would add incentive to hunt a live animal. And to balance things better, make sleeeping only give you a percentage of your energy and health back. as it is now, sleeping feels like a cheat but the only other alternative when you have run out of vials is a boring walk to a merchant.

18. thesinmaster

thesinmaster Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Easily one of yhe best games I've ever played on ios.

Would prefer the game to limit me to use bedroll, since player could easily sleep after each battle, no matter even the team is in a dangerous place

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Pup: Heh, of course you had to have a ratkiller quest, I really like your take on that one ;)
    Also, a suggestion for crafting items: Instead of just saying "used in crafting" in the description, it would be nice to see for what exactly they can be used. E.g. "used for Alchemy", or "valuable for Forging". It's not obvious for every item. Also, having filter buttons to only display items relevant to the current crafting activity would be good: Go cooking? Hit the button, only show cooking materials.

@silver99: you can make your own potions with Alchemy, as early as entering Radiance.
    I'm playing on normal, not hard difficulty, so your mileage may vary. I have so many HP healing items piled up, I can keep going for a long time without resting. As I wrote earlier, I think treating Mana/Spellcasting as a valuable resource is a nice change to the usual RPG pace, but I do understand that you think differently.

20. nworbled

nworbled New Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for your reply! Will happily buy this game because of all the great reviews and look into those other titles you mentioned as well!