Universal Ember (by 505 Games (US), Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Just started playing today this game is mo flipping awesome!!

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    No sync unfortunately. Though honestly I'm not sure playing it on an iPhone would really do it justice. There's so much detail, plus casting spells can sometimes be a bit confusing on iPad, so I would imagine it could get frustrating on a small screen.

Such a good game though - lots of great bits reminiscent of games like Baldurs Gate.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I find Ember eminently playable on my iPhone 6.

The developers are considering iCloud. You can sync saves files manually through iTunes File Sharing.

4. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Coren is always a warrior, and Corra is always a wizard, so for sake of versatility you should make your main a ranged hero, otherwise youll never use any of that gear

5. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Coren is listed as a warrior, but it's only the stats that matter. Skills all depend on equipment. I've trained Coren as a ranged fighter, focusing on dex and vitality. Later, when I had the opportunity to replace him with a marksman, I decided to keep him because he had higher Dex as I chose all the stats from level one. I could Respec the marksman of course, But in addition to the cost, I like having the siblings together with me.

I have found times when I needed a high Dex or int roll to have a dialogue option, and I also found a int bonus, so it is appearing more to me like you can play any way you want. Nice to have more character options from the story too.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    What do you mean replace him with a marksman? Is there more to recruit besides the warrior and mage?

7. SufferinPup

SufferinPup Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
    There is an archer-type party member you get too. But really, since you can respec your characters at any time the class that they are listed as doesn't matter too much. Resetting Coren's stats and making him an archer or wizard is perfectly valid. It does mean you have to manually level them up, but for me that is part of the fun. :)

8. You can respec anytime? That may have sold me on this game. I hate restarting these types of games because I didn't distribute my stat points well.

9. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I bought this on steam and was pleasantly surprised. What a gem of a game. I might have to pick it up for my phone and replay!! glad to see this game successful on the App Store as well. Cheers to the devs!

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    The respec option was a pleasant surprise indeed.
    Now, if you could just remove that silly gold cost and let us fiddle around to our heart's content :)

@SufferinPup: I am serious about the above. Free respecs whenever you want are one of the best additions to RPGs since the 10-foot-pole :) , and it irks me everytime devs don't include them.
    So pretty please with sugar on top? You are halfway there already anyways.

11. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Anyone know it? :(

12. Does it cost enough gold to be something you can only do rarely?

I'm currently making room on my devices for this game. (Hope iCloud comes in the future!)

13. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    #293 Claud, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Ember (by 505 Games (US), Inc.)

Yeah iCloud or some form of sync is essential to me in these games. :/

I'm on the fence about purchasing because of it.

14. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Mobile G.O.T.Y.

This game has my vote for mobile G.O.T.Y. It's an incredibly fun and beautiful game. Rich with content. It plays perfectly well on my IPad Air 2. I don't know why you would try to play this on a iPhone unless it's a Plus, maybe. I have an SE so I won't event bother I play all my mobile games on my IPad. This is probably my most favorite game on my IPad. I have over 50 great premium games on there and for the price its a steal. I love this game. This is what AAA premium mobile gaming should be like. Everyone should buy this game and support the developers. I promise you if you like RPG Hack & Slash, cRPG games( Diablo,Balders Gate,Dragon Age) then you will definitely love this game. "BUY IT NOW"!!!

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I think it's level x 100 gold per respec. Definitely too much early on to do it willy-nilly. I spent my first two levelups on Int as I wanted to play a Mage. Well, at least early on I felt like being better off as a Fighter or Archer - and I need to hold out a few more levels until I can use that shiny new staff I found. Money's tight enough that I refrained from it for now.
    I guess that at some point money will be become irrelevant and I can respec whenever I want. Getting there is the hard part ;)

16. yankeeblue000

Aug 29, 2016
    Ember

17. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    The price for respec goes up as you level. If I recall it starts at 300gp

Personally, I'm not holding out hope for iCloud since the game was built simultaneously for PC and iOS. I doubt they would implement a cloud save that is platform-specific, leaving their Steam users out in the cold. By the same token, building their own system requires significantly more effort, so let's hope Ember sells enough copies to make it worthwhile.

18. I don't understand that logic. The iOS version is universal. If you own it on one device, you own it on all. To play on both iOS and Steam, you need to buy two different games. So I don't think it's "leaving the Steam users out in the cold" to have iOS-specific syncing.

As for the respec, than sucks. But glad there's at least an option.

19. yankeeblue000

Aug 29, 2016
    Should be Mobile G.O.T.Y., just sayin

20. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    It is easy to get gold and respec. Just like basic mats for crafting. Enemies re spawn in certain areas.