Universal Ember (by 505 Games (US), Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Sep 14, 2016.

1. x3pwnage

x3pwnage Member

Jan 30, 2014
    #201 x3pwnage, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    I'm doing the quests in the goblin library, anyone know where to find the goblin cook book for kook? I've searched the library and haven't found it.

Edit: Found it, it's on a table near end of the dead end where you fight the corrupted deer.

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #202 Solarclipse, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Loving this game, despite a few crashes on my iPad air.

I'm stuck on the translation quest—i can't seem to put the book on the altar. When I tap I get a message that I can't use it?!

I realise I also don't know how to drop things from.my inventory. Don't know if that's what I need to do...

While I'm at it, how do you look at your recipe book? Thanks!

Edit: you have to switch to the icon view of inventory and then you can drag and drop items. That did it...but still wondering about recipes.

3. x3pwnage

x3pwnage Member

Jan 30, 2014
    #203 x3pwnage, Sep 18, 2016
    Drag the item from your inventory onto the altar.

Edit: As for the recipe book, go into your quest journal and there is a tab at the top of the Window for recipes.

4. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    And 6+ users? How is this on the larger phone? Looks really good but I am worried about being able to read and see without eye strain.

5. brando

brando Member

May 8, 2012
    This is for the developers - is there any chance in a future update you will bring it to older devices? Possibly the iPad 3rd generation? That would be amazing!

6. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I've never been so immersed in an rpg before. This is the only game I'm playing right now. Thanks SufferinPup for all the effort it took to bring this game to life. Is anyone else experiencing difficulty zooming in and out? Sometimes when I'm pinching to zoom, the screen goes all over the place. It works well if I move at a moderate, consistent speed. Otherwise, I can't seem to get it to work properly. The text is a bit small on my 6s Plus, but just like in Leap of Fate, it doesn't hamper the overall gameplay. I'd love to hear if anyone has the same issue. Thanks.

7. Nut

Nut Active Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Here's a screenshot with some dialog text. Should be fine on the plus model but at the verge of eyesight limit.

[​IMG]

Look at the graphic, oh gorgeous.

8. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks! Lol. Too bad I just blew a bunch of money on crafting stuff because nine of its really better than what I have. But it's cool. I imagine it won't be long until someone makes a recipe guide to help us save some cash. :)

9. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Not too bad at all, thanks for the screen shot!

10. Nut

Nut Active Member

Jun 24, 2015

Take note that I zoomed in on the main screen to show details on the characters and background. The text dialog on the right remain the same regardless of zoom though.

I think text size issue is more pronounced when you try to read the books.

11. Jaggus

Jaggus Member

Sep 17, 2016
    I'm a 5s user and since I enjoy other small fonted games (such as Pathfinder Adventures) I bit the bullet and downloaded Ember last night, because of what I've read here and seen on YouTube.

The font is indeed very small and the books are very hard to read but that's more because of the background color (beige) of the pages. Quest and dialogue text is very easy to read because that's white text on a black background. The biggest problem I have is fat fingering dialogue options; reading is one thing but choosing on that tiny font (with dialogue options that are very close together) is quite tricky.

As far as gameplay is concerned, the ability to pause and the ability to command characters by dragging from the (large) portraits at the top of the screen makes the game quite playable on my tiny screen. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase - it did take some time to get accustomed to. This game is good enough that I'm willing to tough it out in exchange for the ability to keep it in my pocket.

12. SufferinPup

SufferinPup Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Sadly it is unplayably slow on anything besides the 64 bit devices. The price of having a giant open streaming world.

I don't want to promise anything but we've had some discussions on how to improve readability on phones. Due to the number of books and amount of dialog it isn't a quick fix, but it is something that has bubbled to near the top of the patch list.

This was actually an iPad-only game for the longest time, but then the 6 Plus came along, and we said, hmm, let's open it up to phones too and see what people say. Turns out, a lot of people want to play the game on phones! :)

13. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #213 Reaganomics, Sep 18, 2016
    For anyone concerned with playing it on a small screen I'd say don't worry about it. I took the plunge and made the purchase. It looks pretty good on my iPhone 6 because I can pinch to zoom in and zoom out and all that great stuff. As for the text, I just use the zoom feature located in the accessibility settings. So if anyone is wondering if they should get it for their iPhone, I say go for it.

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Where does it say this is 30% off right now???

15. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    All I can say is WOW. This is my first time playing a game like this, and I think I may be in love. Live action combat with tactical pause, audio, visuals, UI, loot, questing, mapping, crafting, lore, npcs, enemies.. I am just loving it.

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Been playing the game five hours straight and so far into the lore and it's a great theme. Damn the dark bringer lol! Great game so far love the team attacks and love how items give different skills. Anyone on the fence get it. Game is awesome in iPad Pro 12.9

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #217 Nullzone, Sep 18, 2016
    Good first impression so far, with some minor issues - e.g. that I find the buttons for potions use way too small, or that I am already tired of picking up loot piece by piece.
    @SufferinPup: this could really need a "pick up all visible on screen" button.

And one major issue - "oh boy, did you mess that one up" big: Vendor trash.
    I stopped playing yesterday when I reached the first merchant and saw that I have ~5 or so screen pages of trash to sell piece by piece. Nope, not going to do that, even less with a somewhat unresponsive sell button.
    Some suggestions to resolve this:
    - Best in my book: It looks as if you went for the "realistic way", i.e. everyone who has a weapon or armor drops it on death. While laudable, simply handing out the gold coins would be better here, more streamlined. Seriously, having to sell piece by piece 20 shoddy shortbows and 30 crappy swords I'll never use anyways is just bad.
    - Add a "sell all" button to the vendor. Ideally with "by category" and "all visible in my selling window" options, and an "item lock" option so I can manually mark items as "don't sell that".
    - Oh, and please allow for drag&drop in the shop, those tiny (on an Air1) buy/sell buttons are a) a huge pain to use, and b) not as easy as drag&drop - especially on a touchscreen.

But I really want to see how it progresses, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and sell all the trash by hand :p

Two more small things:
    The Bedroll shouldn't be in the "regular stuff" list, I had to scroll through the list very slowly several times to actually find it. Better to have it in a shorter list, like the special items one.
    When I got there (don't know if the selection is fixed or random), the merchant had a melee weapon and a bow, but no wand. Especially the first merchant you meet should have one of every class.
    Also, in the first dungeon I got 2 or 3 special melee weapons and I think one bow, but again no wand. Hmph, no love for the spellslingers? ;)

18. Nut

Nut Active Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Ember (by 505 Games (US), Inc.)

On the trading part, you can shortlist it by selecting the corresponding category and use the sell all button in conjunction with that.

19. solistus

solistus Member

May 24, 2012
    This game is really phenomenal on mobile! I've tried and failed to get into both BG-style oldschool CRPGs and Diablo style lootfest ARPGs on mobile. Games in the former camp tend to have UIs that feel cluttered and inelegant on iOS, which makes it hard for me to get into the flow and enjoy combat. Games in the latter camp on iOS usually feel too dumbed down and simplistic, and often succumb to the dark side of mobile F2P monetization schemes. Ember seems to strike a great balance between depth and accessibility. I'm not very far along yet, but I look forward to sinking many hours into this one.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Do you mean the "sell all treasure & junk" button? If yes, that one doesn't sell e.g. my 20 crappy shortbows :(