iPad Eliss 1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by estyst, May 2, 2009.

1. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Any idea what changes 1.1 brings?

2. estyst

estyst Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Poland
    list of changes from iTunes

Attached Files:

3. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Extra 5 sectors. It says in the patch notes.

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    More info and a nice insight in Steph Tirion's way of working here.

No difficulty setting, but a major overhaul of the learning curve, as I understand it.

5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I'll be honest, i never expected an update for this game... I know it's only been two months since it came out, but still..

very excited!

6. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    All the hububb over the difficulty kind of makes me want to try this just to see how I'd do. I wish he's release a lite version. Also, the icon kind of looks like a nipple.

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm glad this one made it to the frontpage.

I downloaded the update and played for 90 minutes or so. Here are my impressions.

Before the update, I got stuck on sector 11 (of 20). I've been trying to beat that for 2 weeks. Sector 10 also cost me a lot of tries. But I liked Eliss a lot.

After the update, I played all through to sector 13 in 90 minutes. Mind you, these are not all the same sectors as before, some have changed. Most eye-catching change: the red suns that so annoyingly traverse some sectors now have a most beautiful halo of beams, which, besides being stunning, helps you see where they enter the playing field and move your planets out of their way.

The game has gotten noticeably 'easier' (haha) with this update. The build-up in difficulty from sector 1 up seems a lot more balanced than before. From what I can see, some sectors that had planets of 3 or 4 colors, now have only 2 color planets. The spawning rate of the planets seems quite a bit slower. This goes for the red suns as well. The gameplay doesn't feel as hectic. For me, Eliss has definitely gotten even better.

Better, and less difficult, but don't expect to rush to sector 25. Eliss is still a challenging game, but most of all it still is a game you cannot afford to miss if you want to see a truly original gameconcept brilliantly executed. And have the great fun playing it.

8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  9. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Price is lowered now, try it out

10. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Yup, saw it earlier and grabbed it. It's funny. Normally a dollar price drop from $4 to $3 wouldn't really move me, but knowing how quickly their other "sale" ended, I had to snatch it up.

11. Godzilla

Godzilla Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Ditto, same here. :D

Been looking forward to to picking it up, time to sync....

12. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    i just got this cause of the update and price drop, and i have to say its AMAZING.

probably overtaken zen bound for the most brilliant app on the store. the graphics, music, gameplay, controls and difficulty are all perfect.

i have got to level 11 and im stuck, but i know the more i practice the easier it becomes, got perfects up to level seven too. its truly wonderful. and its the PERFECT example fo how the iphone and ipod touch are genuine gaming devices.

after seeing the gameplay vids i wasn;t sure what was going on, but after playing it with headphones, its just sublime.

13. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Really, do you mean that? I mean - you've probably played Zen Bound for at least a week if you've tried to finish the game as much as possible, so you know there really is a lot of value in the game. (It WAS the most brilliant app in your opinion! :))
    Is the Eliss gameplay so brilliant that it beats Zen Bound which has more levels?

I keep thinking that Eliss won't keep me interested nearly as long as Zen Bound (which I'll dive into again as soon as the new tree is added, and I won't stop before it's finished ;)).

14. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Before the update, I was unable to pass Sector 3, but I was now able to best it. I know some people enjoyed the hardcore difficulty, but being unable to advance through the rest of the game, even though I felt myself fairly competent, was frustrating. I enjoy the game more now that I am able to progress more smoothly through it.

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Perfect update. Now I finally could beat level 7. Way better difficulty curve.
    Love this game. The style is simply awesome.

16. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #17 idrisguitar, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
    they are very different, however my comparison draws more from the complete poackage, for example, the videos and screen shtos of eliss do it no justice. i didn;t think much of it, in fact videos just confused me. Until i got bored and decided to follow everyone (like the sheep that i am) and i was awestruck at how beautifully done the game was. with earphones, full blast, playing the first few levels, its just a brilliant experience and something that could ONLY be done on this platform.

the audio is FANTASTIC, similar to the way zen bounds audio was done. the controls are close to perfect, just like zen bound, and i know 25 levels doesn't sound like much. but these levels are very hard, and it will require practice and time to not only progress through all the levels, but inevitably get them done with a perfect (which means finishing the level on full life) very similar to completing the zen bound object with three flowers. (except its much harder ;))

i can see myself playing this for a long time. even when i get stuck on a level and become tired of retrying it, i can instead go over old completed levels and try and get a perfect on them. so it offers paths if you are finding one stage extreemly frustrating. not only that, going over those past stages and perfecting them improves your skill, which increases you chance of progressing further. you will find you spend a larger amount of hours you expect simply because the game requires you to learn each and every levels and get used to it. meaning in a lot of failures, but inevitably a big payoff when you finally succeed. and its fun all the time while you're doing this because the gameplay is just so original.

i hope you can understand my comparison, and its one i stand by, for presentation, originality and their perfect execution, eliss and zen bound are on the same level in my opinion.

definitely the best $3 app i have.

17. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Levels 19 and 21 are hard to get a perfect on

18. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    #19 spmwinkel, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
    Thanks for the time you took to write that idrisguitar. :) If so much people speak highly of it even though it may not look all that great, I might have to push those feelings aside. :)

19. Ostinato

Ostinato Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Eliss needs more love!

No, I'm not the developer. :)

But yes, Eliss needs more love. One of the most innovative games in years, great retro design & music, great gameplay, a real puzzle & skill challenge... Yes, it's hard, but since when did that stop you?

And it's withering away. What's happening? Don't you get the gameplay? Don't you like the screenshots? Me no unnerstand. :confused:

Here's a gameplay vid which clarifies the gameplay quite nicely. This dude even made it to sector 20 before the update. Gameplay Eliss sector 1-6

Anyhoo. Every serious gamer. Should. Buy. Eliss!