Elemental Rage by Oniric Games [metroidvania-style adventure platformer]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ArtCoder, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Thanks anyway, iVaro! Good luck with your exams :)

Beta application is still open! If anyone wants to try Elemental Rage and give us a hand, send me a PM with the info I listed above. Thanks!

2. mrgooseman17

mrgooseman17 Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    artwork and gameplay looks great
    i sent my beta application I hope that i get accepted!

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oP

Totally agree! Hope I get accepted too... This game looks AMAZING, either way, can't wait to get my hands on it!

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Game Preview

After spending about an hour with the beta I'm happy to report that the game has actually surpassed my expectations. I don't want to oversell it, since I've only played a small portion of the game, but so far it feels like the real deal: a bona-fide metroidvania-style action platformer, with the kind of production values you'd expect from an XBLA game. The character art is great, the animation is smooth, the story is familiar but well told, and the overall mechanics feel very, very good.

Like any Castlevania game, the playing map is vast, with plenty of areas that become accessible only when you have get and/or upgrade the right abilities -- it definitely rewards exploration. The combat is simple but well executed, with timing playing a big role (which makes attack-button spamming pretty much useless). Your main weapon gets upgraded through random enemy drops, but it also looks like you may be able to equip other weapons further on. As you would expect, you gain abilities related to the elements (the first one, found in the Air level, is a double jump), each of which can apparently be leveled up.

From what I've played so far, I can easily see this game syphoning hours upon hours of my time. For a beta, it's surprisingly polished (though you can tell that some areas will be getting additional tweaking and optimization); more important, though, the game already has plenty of personality. Can't wait to play the final build.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I feel exactly the same... =oP

The controls are spot on, right from the get go... There was no 'getting use to the controls' time needed. Ive spent about an hour and a half on the game so far, and I've just really started memorizing where each rooms path takes you in the beginning part of the game... How to reach the different areas doors... This is definitely a game that has A LOT of exploration involved. And right from the start you can see areas you know you'll be coming back to once you get whatever upgrade you'll need to get through walls or reach higher areas.

The game has crashed a couple of times, I've had to reset my iPod 4 times so far today just to make sure it's not my lack of RAM. =o/
    (I'll send my crash reports in...)

The area themes seem pretty similar throughout the game, but have enough variation to know where you are... It reminds me of Metroid II in that aspect... =o)
    ^^^ happens to be my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME!!
    The music and fx sound great... And fit the game really well, but there's also the option to change the levels of both. OH! speaking of Options, you're given the option to place the buttons wherever you want on the screen! So even if they don't feel natural to you right off the bat, you can place them wherever. I don't think I've seen that in a platformer yet, and is a GREAT addition.

After playing what I have of the beta version, I will be telling everyone I know to get this game! I can only imagine how many hours I will be throwing into this one, but I know it's going to end up in my top 3 favorite platformers in the AppStore (I've got all but a few...).

Total honor getting to beta test this game... You guys are gonna love it!

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh yeah, forgot to say -

THIS GAME LOOKS GREAT W/ RETINA DISPLAY!!!!

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Word!

8. natejeevas

natejeevas Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Student
    Not USA
    Wow, all these positive review make my expectation higher.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Even with higher expectations, this game will surpass them.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    took a look at the crash reports, turns out they were memory crashes, not game crashes... When I told the dev, he said they were going to do some performance enhancements before the official release... So yay!!!

Just wanted to clear that up. No crashing problems with the game. At least non that were a result of the game.

11. ArtCoder

Hi there! I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and kind words during the development of Elemental Rage. We've just submitted the iPad version to Apple for review so it will be out very soon! :) (The iPhone version will follow shortly after).

We're great fans of metroidvanias so we had a lot of fun making Elemental Rage! We know you'll have a blast playing it.

12. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    How shortly after?

This game didn't look that appealing at first, but the glowing opinions from testers as well as the single word 'metroidvania' have sold an iPhone release for me :)

13. ArtCoder

I'd say about a week. We had some performance tweaks to do to the iPhone version, so we submitted it a bit later.

14. ArtCoder

Here's a short trailer we put together for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy :)

(Sorry about the lack of in-game sound. We forgot to check the sound option in Screen Flow :eek:. We're already working a better trailer).

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I know you said the iPad version would be 6.99, how much will the iPod version be?

16. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    This is one of the better/best platform games i have betatested on the iPad.

Controls, graphics and music are spot on....love it that you can upgrade your character...and it was great to see and work with the developer during the testing.

Can't wait for the official release. :)

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    What are the control schemes? How does the game feel in comparison to similar action/ platformer games?

18. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

Loved the art style! The characters are very charming, and the game genre is definitely my thing!

Best of luck to the devs! :)

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Essentially the same as League of Evil, and just as responsive.

Even though I really like short-burst platformers like LoE and Moss Speedrun, I just love more expansive, story driven ones like Frogatto and, now, Elemental Rage. Easily one of the best I've played on iOS.