iPad Elemental Rage - (by Oniric Games) +lite Out Now

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Loving...absolutely LOVING the game right now. Up to the point where you get the <insert name of movie staring Jason Statham> from Hansk, and I can't wait to play some more!

Unfortunately, if I'm going to leave you a review, it'll have to be on the Lebanese app store...which is completely pointless. :p :(

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    5 star review left on iTunes in the UK store. This game is amazing.

3. iVoloster

iVoloster Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Insurance
    NY
    I feel dumb but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to damage the first boss, anyone want to p/m with some tips, I'm sure its something completely obvious but I just can't figure it out.

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    My iTunes review:::

Metroidvania Platformers is a genre left pretty bare in the AppStore... But with the release of Elemental Rage, our iPods now have an EXTREMELY polished exploratory platformer with plenty of upgrades and power ups to satisfy even the most hardcore Metroidvania freaks.*

The controls are spot on, and feel VERY natural from the very first seconds of the game. And even if you think their placement is off, they've allowed you to set up the controls as you see fit, letting you put the buttons wherever you want from inside the options menu. There's plenty of enemies, randomly dropping health and weapon upgrades, and each new area you visit is packed full of orbs you can collect to upgrade things like your jumping ability, how long you can stay under water, and which platforms you can activate, moving so you can reach previously unreachable places.*

The price may seem a little high, but with this being the first FULL FLEDGED, COMPLETE PURE METOIDVANIA title in the AppStore, with the first 4 missions taking around 2 hours to complete... This game will suck time out of your life, and leave you obsessed until you become powerful enough to take on the last boss. $5 is a deal with all this game gives back. This is definitely the game platformer and Metroidvania fanatics have been waiting to see on the iOS.*

The developers are also VERY active on the TA Forums, and committed to making this the best gaming experience they can. TOTALLY RECOMMENDED!!!

--------------

I've just now gotten to the point where the beta version left off, and am fighting some big demon guy... This game is so great, and that doesn't even come close to fully describing it. If this was a DS game, $35-$40 would be a typical, but very good price... I'm SO freakin glad I've got an iPod!!!

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    With so many positive impressions from so many reliable friends, I spent the rest of this week's credits on the game, heh. It looks awesome. Can't wait to try it tonight.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hehe, you really won't regret it!

7. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Is this better than Grokion? I could never get into that title

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    They are really pretty different games that share a few core elements, so it's difficult to compare. That said, I couldn't really get into Grokion either, though I really wanted to. Everything about it was so freaking awkward -- perhaps intentionally so. Elemental Rage is the opposite: the overall interface is so fluid and smooth that it kind of just gets out of your way.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Grokion is one of my favorite iOS platformers... I've beat the first episode without getting ANY of the upgrades (minus the beam that opens the orange doors...) - and am 1 of 2 people who have done it that way (and I told #2 how to...)

But Elemental Rage is WAY different. Yes, the core of Meteoidvania games is the same... But other than that, these two could be in totally different genres. That being said... Yes, I do believe that this is MUCH better than Grokion. The gameplay, story, graphics, controls... Pretty much EVERYTHING about this game is just TOP NOTCH. I really can not recommend this game enough. =oD

10. arglactable

arglactable Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Good game, but I've found beginning weapon pretty much completely worthless to the point of being extremely annoying. Especially since the upgrade for it can be lost from a single hit from enemies that you're just not equipped to take on efficiently. As for comparisons to Grokion. I prefer Grokion, without question. Just wish they would release episode 2 some time.

11. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    This is a fantastic game by itself. If you liked Grokion I'm sure you would like this.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol I hated Grokion, but hopefully I'll like this when I try it out later. Grokion is one of the few popular games around here that I just couldn't understand why. Another one is Mission Europa xP.

13. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I think you should make the very 1st boss harder, because he's not hard
    enough as it is... :rolleyes: Is he near impossible or am I missing something?

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #54 syntheticvoid, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
    U just need to dodge everything... Then he sinks down into the floor

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's retarded how awesome this game is. Holy s***.

16. Ledah

Ledah New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Is it only me or the game have a couple of glitches? For example air element, when it goes past 6 lv the first additional jump in mid air is performed like triple jump on the same place. The second one is for fire element,when u get 2 lv game says that u can now use 10 fire blows, but the number still stays at 5.
    Also noted funny thing with statues and swords. If u get any sword in tower from the box and then press "last checkpoint" in menu,u can get the same sword again. As for statues it is more funny, when u put corresponding sword in statue hands and then again press "last checkpoint", sword is gone from inventory and the statue hands are empty too,but the game says it's right there:)

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Game's awesome. Only thing I fear is that it might be too short; the Air temple was really tiny.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well deserved front page rave. Congratulations Oniric Games!

19. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #59 Creepshow, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
    Ahhh no no spoilers!!!
    Just wondering if others were having problems with him also. :eek:

Congrats on the WELL deserved front page review!!!

20. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Thanks for all your comments. And thanks TA for their review! We're so happy one of our games made it to the front page :)

Thanks to Ledah, iVoloster and other forum members we've been able to track a couple of bugs in Elemental Rage. They've been corrected and you'll get the patches on the next update.
    • [Non-retina players only] there's a bug that prevents your hits from registering in the first boss fight. Unfortunatley, there's no workaround without a patch, so if you've reached that boss, you'll have to wait for the next update to be out before continuing your game...
    • Also, the "last checkpoint" button in the pause menu is broken. It was one of those innocent last minute features that always come back to bite you... Please, don't use the "last checkpoint" button until the next update or you may get yourself stuck in a broken game state.
    We're deeply sorry for these problems! :( We've just submitted an updated version to Apple (including these fixes, performance improvements and some other tweaks) and will ask for an expedited review. We hope the update will be out soon.

Again, very very sorry about this. I hope these bugs don't spoil the fun for too many people...