iPad Elasticity

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Toni_, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Toni_

Toni_ New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi,

I've been working for the past few months on my first iPhone game. The game is one of my old Mac games, Elasticity, ported to the iPhone - and it appeared on the App Store yesterday :)

I have put up a webpage for the game here:

http://tonilaav.fidisk.fi

With screenshots and other information about the game - including the live online highscore lists.

Let me know what you think of the game, and if you have any suggestions, etc. I welcome feedback :)

2. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I'm sorry, but i don't think another match 3 game is needed on the app store..and your concept doesn't really add much new concept, besides th ebonus items?

3. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    oh dam a video would nice
    by that i hope its not bejewel concept
    have it already!

4. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Yeah this is a hard segment to get into, because of all the well established competition... is there anything unique about this game that sets it apart from other Bejeweled clones?

5. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Looks average, I've seen better match 3 games.

Just make sure you release this before Puzzle Quest comes out.

6. Toni_

Toni_ New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Just finished putting together this short clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzQtQbOoK0 . Sorry for the low quality of the video.

Well... when writing this game I didn't try too hard to make it stand out of other games of this genre, as my main goal was just to make a port of my existing game (which I wrote back in 2003 for Mac OS X) and keep as much of the original feel as possible. I did however improve my original game by adding the bonus items and the online highscores.

I did have a few ideas for improvements though, but I decided to stick to polishing the look and feel of the game to make it as good as possible.

7. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Actually does look pretty fun. I like the ball graphics and how they bounce a little and the drill power up looked cool. Might have to pick this one up when I can

8. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It looks very pretty. Nice sound and music.

9. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #10 Carlos-Sz, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Well Toni, I'm impressed with your work. You took care of a lot of small details that make a great difference in any game:

- game modes
    - music
    - quality sound
    - professional menus, including unique transition
    - online (including Daily) and local high score for each mode
    - simple but effective help (the sparkle effect when we scroll it is a charming touch)
    - in game effects that are not too much nor too little
    - different bonus system (only 3, could be more)

OK. It's another 3 or more match game. Here are two competitors:

For me Bejeweled is a classic but I'm kind of tired of its old (since Palm days) interface and sound (that voice kind of annoys me).

Another recent example is ChocChocPop. It is really well made but not well balanced. It's too easy. The only way to end my first game was deleting it from my iPhone!

Of course we'll have (and wait) Puzzle Quest but it's another kind of game IMO. Those 3 or more matches are more casual, for that instant free time that has to be killed. PQ requires a bit more than that, more concentration and even skills. ;)

Backing to Elasticity. Making the above long story short... This game is indeed a nice option for the genre. Its production is not comparable for most of the $0.99 games at all. If we were in a normal store this game should be at least $5 and I'll surely purchase it.

However... Yes there is a "but" here. However, there is only a flaw. Something some developers are not missing anymore. It's a colorblind mode. That's a really important feature in any game that relies on colors.

Elasticity has 4 problematic colors: yellow and green and white and light green. They are too similar, even for me that can see colors (or maybe not since it's always a concern for me :D ).

You should give an option to select the colors the user would like to play with (include even black, red and other basic colors) or give an alternative set of balls each one with a different texture.

This is an important detail that you really should (have to) consider in the next update. You may lose potential buyers just because that.

4/5 until this flaw is fixed (sorry it is a flaw IMO).

10. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Such a good review here, you should give him a gold star or something!!

To emphasize one of the points here, for me it is quality music. I know I can listen to my music while i play on my iPhone, but if the game has quality music in it, then I don't need to. I feel like a fair amount of the time people will play games with headphones on (maybe when they're normally listening to music) and if you can tap into that segment, then you're all set..

If i'm standing up waiting in a line, then i'm not going to play a game with integral sound effects and music, i'll probably play like Paper Plane or Bike or Die...But if i'm at home laying down with my headphones on, i'll play Newtonica2, TouchPhysics, or maybe Trace...please don't discount high fidelity music and sound effects, they can make or break a game

11. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    I am tempted. Has anyone tried it out yet?

12. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Must purchase ;)

13. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    now that i've bought it, I LOVE THIS GAME

14. Toni_

Toni_ New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I was actually a bit worried that the bubbles of different colors might be hard to distinguish, so I was considering ways to improve this part of the game. Adding colorblind mode sounds like a good way to help this issue. I've been experimenting texturing the bubbles with symbols, and this is what I've got so far:

[​IMG]

The actual game on the screen will have the colored bubbles with symbols overlaid on them. The grayness is here just to simulate the game view of a person who might not see any colors (this way I've been able to test how well the symbols actually work - The grayscale mode in Mac OS X's Accessibility settings is great for trying that out.)

I'll be adding this feature to next version, which is due to next weekend.

15. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ Toni

Perfect graphics! That'd be simple awesome!

PS: I didn't like the dot (white) and minus (light green) that much... Other symbols are just beautiful. :)

16. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    For me it HAS to have a colorblind mode, Blackbeards assault is a prime example of how to implement it. The first version didn't have it and I tried it on my buddies iPotch, impossible for me! After the update with the colorblind mode, it is now one of my favorite games...:D

17. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    I really like this game. I can see it staying on my iPod Touch for a long time.

Will the ability to return to the current game be in the next version?

I had a really good game going during my break, but when I returned to the game at lunch my only choice was to begin a new game. If I paused the game and don't exit, I can return to the same game, but if I leave the app and turn off my iPod I have to start a game the next time.

It has been a fun game so far. The drill bit is cool.

18. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ Toni

Yes, ability to resume is a must!

Another suggestion: a gallery with best online personal score, like best of the "xx" day, best score of December 2008 and so on.

19. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    New version is out!

What's new

- Added colorblind mode
    - Game progress is now saved when the game exits, allowing them to be resumed later

The game is really better now and it is the best Bejeweled alike game.

If you're tired of the Bejeweled interface then this is the game to go!

Now Toni please add more power-ups!! :)