Universal Eisenhorn: XENOS (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  2. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    #122 italodance, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
    Nader I'm still looking forward to your first update cause prefer to buy it when it's out. By they way is it optimized for iPad Pro 12.9?

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015

Appspy also didn't hate the game. He agreed with most of the pocketgamer review and says that reviewer is probably much further along in the game. The only issue appspy had was with the controls and wished he was playing with a controller, which he should have been doing to test that aspect of the game and do a full, proper review.

Anyways, this game looks amazing. I'll be picking it up this weekend, hopefully.

4. dasker4444

dasker4444 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    #124 dasker4444, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
    the game was made with Unreal Engine 4?

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Loving the story and the atmosphere. Sights and sounds are dark (poetically) The combat is fluid for me (using a stratus controller). The combat sort of reminds me of an over the shoulder Diablo 3. The rolling and timing have a similar feel. Solid experience for me. Ive played a lot of Warhammer games, but this one has opended up the nature of the universe for me a lot more than most of the others.

6. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    SD only? And preferrable device is Ipad Air 2? Hmmmmmm.

7. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    I don't think that tag on the game here on TA is correct. It says SD IPhone only, which is clearly wrong.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That's correct. It's an unfortunate forum bug that hasn't exactly been figured out yet. :/

The game certainly is universal.

9. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm maybe 20 minutes in (spent a good while walking back and forth with the hacker thingy out to see if I missed anything) and have gotten to some people crawling out of metal coffins? Main character says he feels sorry for them but can't kill them?

I think the VA work is pretty top notch and it looks pretty (enough for a mobile game, if not eh on a 6S Plus), but the combat doesn't impress me. I'm all for premium games (and have made some large purchases in the last couple of days--not regretting Sentinels of the Multiverse!) but I wish I'd staved off, as I don't feel it was worth it for me personally.

Saying that, I'm not hugely well-versed in the 40k lore or expanded universe, so that was probably my mistake to begin with? I enjoyed the Lone Wolf game and was sort of expecting something similar to that? But instead it feels like a clunky hack and slash.

10. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #130 Quoad, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    I'm quite enjoying the (very) occasional bits of combat I encounter.

But also hit the srs stumbling block mentioned above
    USE THE AUSPEX ON THE BANK OF COMPUTERS TO YOUR LHS AS YOU CAME IN, FOLKS
    , and after an hour or so of gameplay feel as if this could be summarised as:

Walking Down Corridors and Opening Doors: The Game!!!

There's a handful of QuickTime events. And some doors, at the end of corridors, need some button mashing (well, screen tapping) to trigger events. And there was this one time, where I had to press a button to walk sideways over a thin overhang. Which I remember feeling innovative when I first encountered it, say, in the late 1990s. Less so now.

But. Yeah. There's no point exploring, bc there's nothing hidden in niches. There are many substantial environments that, afaict, serve no purpose whatsoever but to show off a lot of screen tiles, five places where you have to correctly identify the "I go here" marker / button, and perhaps one line of dialogue.

Feels like a loose frame of pretty bland gameplay, stretched over some vastly overly repeated and tiled (but pretty) gfx, mostly for the purpose of telling a story.

Which is clearly there.

The story, that is.

I am underwhelmed. Titan Quest - cracking and innovative gameplay. This - less so. To contrast.

11. Martymcsmartie

Martymcsmartie New Member

May 11, 2014
    Great job on making a game which feels like the actual story! I was going to re-read the book but didn't as its flowing so well.

Combat isn't bad, I've played worse on iPad and still enjoyed it, weapons variety looks good so far, good addition of the other characters. The combat can be sightly clunky but really it's not a big bother, although have had some weird moments were wasn't totally sure if guy was dead....but you can get a chainsword so that well that makes up for it.... :)

Eisenhorn still feels like a badass. Good job and perfect voice casting.

Slight problems with the sound though, as someone mentioned earlier. I've found the sfx and speech can drop off. Then just after I some cutscenes where only E is speaking intermittently, which was weird, that's happened twice now, but after playing for 20mins or so. That's a bit of a downer as the story is told well in those scenes.

Playing on iPad Air 2. iOS 9.3.4

Overall view on this, you read book you will like it, if you've not, then it's a damn good iOS game in the 40k universe that they've built really well and I'm loving it....

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Just to add, I'm mostly on ta / the net and not Xenos atm because I finished the first chapter, cut to a cutscene (or interlude, on my ship), and the first thing I encountered was... having to run down a f*^%ing to open a door, which led onto three more doors.

And I thought, "do you know what? I've had more than e-chuffing-nough of running down chuffing corridors to open some chuffing doors."

so I came to see what other people were saying instead.

13. ShelvsHotPencil

ShelvsHotPencil Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Dang , they should have make this game on rail .
    The combat looks good

14. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    I was the one with the same issue.I am using an Ipad Mini 4 but the operating system is the same,I wonder if that could be the problem.I am on IOS 9.3.4 too :)

15. schnedi

schnedi Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Great game but I still missed BIOSHOCK

16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #136 Quoad, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Atm, looks like it is on rails.

But it's pretending it isn't.

Iykwim.

Edit: there was one point where I was in an air vent system (QV: generic use crouch here location, and encountered a fork (!) Briefly wondered if this could be a GENUINE path choice. Tried left fork. Came to total dead end - no exploration gains - within 4s. Yeah. Great. Tah for that.

Have had the same with several other pseudo alternatives, too. No alt path has gone on for more than the lightest possible dusting of distance. And, obv, no exploration gains).

17. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    How far in are you? It opens up a lot more as you progress.

18. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Btw quick question-the giant lion in the pits-it didn't seem to be textured in any way?Is it suppose to be like that or is that a glitch?I couldn't take a picture but basically it looks like it just some sort of mesh without any textures on it,no coloring,nothing.

19. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    Great story, Wireless Beats headset. iPad Air, steelseries controller. Gin and tonic.....nice.

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I don't have the space to download at the moment, but I may try bringing myself to open some up. I've watched the videos, and this looks right up my alley. At least the atmosphere. I loved Firewatch, Alien Isolation, and Batman games. And this kind of looks like a good combo in gameplay styles. Also, it reminds me of some of my favorite kind of story telling, like in Fahrenheit or Republique. And with those games, like this too, it seems like it's a really love-it or hate-it kind of response from players, huh? I'll probably wait for the update, though, in hopes those audio issues get taken care of.

Anyway, great looking game. So, congrats on the release! I considered picking it up on Steam instead (for now), but there wasn't a Mac version. So, it'll be iOS for me eventually. Now, I'll just have to keep myself from watching videos of the whole thing. ;)