Universal Eisenhorn: XENOS (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Another review round up!

Toucharcade review is finally up: http://toucharcade.com/2016/08/25/eisenhorn-xenos-review-for-warhammer-fans-only/

2.5/5 stars

It seems Carter was hoping for more of an action oriented experience in the vein of God of war, and also had a hard time following the plot (Sorry Carter).

So, for anyone new to the thread, so far we have:

9/10 from pocketgamer
    8/10 from AppleNApps
    9.5/10 from KickMyGeek
    5/10 from 148apps
    8.4/10 from Gamebox
    5/10 from toucharcade

2. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    It's not gonna b everyone cup of tea but great job putting something like this on mobile ❤️❤️❤️

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Definitely looks like a love it or hate it kind of game with 148apps and Carter on the hate side.

From what I've played so far it's enjoyable and find myself in the middle. Probably would give it a 3.5/5 or 7/10.

My biggest thing -- and the one point I agree with Carter on -- is that it really does probably need a good about of knowledge of the lore behind the game to enjoy completely. I don't have that knowledge and don't have time to read up on it.

I honestly don't agree with his bashing of the combat. It isn't amazing, but it's fairly good and in the Arkham style that I always enjoyed.

4. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Honestly, if you go into the game expecting a dedicated action game, I can understand why someone could be dissapointed. The focus of the game is not combat.

5. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I'm disappointed with TA's review. I know reviews are not supposed to necessarily hype games so people feel compelled to buy them, but this is at least a 5 hour game filled with constant narrative and a gripping story, and it seems like he only played through the first part and gave up when he realized he really didn't like the aesthetic or the narrative design.

Maybe he played more than what came off in the review but it seems a really shallow write up for a game that honestly deserves more attention than a Match-3 gatcha game. Especially with the $10 price.

6. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    #246 Armel, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2016
    So !!????

Nader ??? Any answer ????

7. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    Kotaku did a review of it a week or so,ago. Their's is based on the PC version. I don't know if there are any significant differences with it, and the mobile version. Since their reviews are not based on a numbers scale, it's a little bit of a challenge measuring their results against the other reviews. And they absolutely hated it. Which now makes me curious how there could be this much disparity between versions.

It would be interesting to hear someone that has played through it on mobile's take on the review. Either way, the review is definitely worth reading.

http://kotaku.com/a-very-bad-warhammer-40k-game-1785133269

8. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    We are still working on it. We'll let you know as soon as it's ready.

9. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hi, you should read this thread, plenty of people have left their impressions, both positive and negative, and I've been posting down review scores for the mobile version here from time to time too.

I thought the kotaku impressions were a touch unprofessional... Seemed more upset about all the GW games coming out that he doesn't like... That it's a mobile game ported to PC etc etc

10. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    I have read the thread. I only brought the Kotaku piece up, because I was curious to see what the people here with a decent amount of time with the mobile version, thought of the review in comparison to their thoughts and experiences with the mobile version. I was not implying anything negative of either version of the game, at all. I just want to know others take of the whole thing. I was just pointing out that it was out there.

The Kotaku game reviews aren't meant to be taken as professional reviews, I should point out, btw.

11. barefootdragon

barefootdragon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Great game. Great job. Thank you for taking to the future. There is only war.

12. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Have to agree on navigation, I stopped playing and deleted the app (there's always iCloud) between the navigation issue, slow gameplay?! I feel it's slow moving anyway, and a love or hate story/narrative I just can't play it any more.

It not a bad game far from it, just theirs better in every other genre. Fighting theirs implosion and story there's every telltale game so I cannot credit this yet for great graphic when everything else feels so mediocre. Hope it get a few updates an I might give it another try.

13. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    #253 Armel, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
    Hey Nader from pixelheroes team , when the game come out you tell to us " yes don't worry, arena mode come in two weeks " . Can i see screen-shoot of your arena mode ??? I delette your game to my phone ... without arena mode , your game is not finish .

14. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hi Armel,

Yes, the initial aim was to get an Arena mode set up in a coupole of weeks. But we never guaranteed it would happen in that time, and we've been busy fixing a variety of issues (large and small) as well as some feedback for the core game (plus iOS 10 is about to drop officially).

I understand this is a feature you really want, and as soon as it is ready to go, we will let you know!

On another note, considering the game isn't really about the combat but more the overall story experience, I would say it is actually 'finished' as a product. Arena mode is just a nice extra.

15. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Ok ok ... i undertstand what you mean

16. mandrilo

mandrilo Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Eisenhorn Xenos Alternative Review

Well, with all my respect to toucharcade reviewers the genuine enjoyment and strong emotions provoqued by this game on me drived me to give my 50 cents.
    Eisenhorn Xenos is a game developed by Pixelhero Games, the same that gave us the incredible Spiral Episode 1.
    Its based on the book of the same name, wich i learned is part of the profuse Warhammer mitology. Frequently some releases are heralded as "a true console experience in your ios device" with doubtful merits. Eisenhorn Xenos is one of the few examples on appstore that deserves this statement. Not only for the graphics, wich are great on the base of the Unreal Engine 3. What we got here is a complex game that combines sucefusly a great and profund story, hack and slash mechanics, stealth, light puzzle solving. One close reference may be the first Batman Arkham Asylum, but this time taking a complex and contradictory character, a detective that works for the imperial warhammer factions. In a gaming world plagued with one-dimentional characters, Gregor Eisenhorn is (im gonna cite some Warhammer geeky blog) a sort of Citizen Kane tormented by his memories, remorses and their contradictions with his strong values. It seems that the merit of the creation of such rich character belongs to the original writer of the novel. But, what im saying here is that Pixelhero deserves the merit of capturing this complex and contradictory escence on a game. The rithym of the story is developed with the care of film directors. Sometimes i feel a strong urge to solve a puzzle or win a fight just to learn what happens next. Does the game has flaws? Maybe. Combat animations as some reviewers noted are a little clunky.
    But the game allready weights arround 3 gb wit those great graphics (in contrast to the 7gb of pc version, nice optimizing work, pixelhero) how many extra storage could more detailed animations take?
    The mechanics for me are okay, making me remeber those original of console Arkham Asylum, a little striped down, of course (my god, most ios users use the touchscreen for playing. probably bringing more complexity on combats could made the interface less friendly). Also, as toucharcade reviewer stated the story is sometimes a little confusing and maybe a litlle dificult to follow on some parts for no-Warhammer-habitues. I must agree only in part with this with some observation: I know little of Warhammer mitology. Just the knowledge provided by other ios games. Sometimes i needed to rewind some piece of the story to follow the meaning but, with some deduction i managed myself to understand the narrative. I think that the apparent flaws of the game are the other side of it strenghts: some sacrifices must be made, to fulfill the mission of bringing complex and profund gaming experience to the plattaform. My only constructive critic to pixelhero fellows concern to marketing desicions on the way they managed PC version. Its true that the PC version (wich i also purchased) feels a little dated on steam competitive context. Ifeel they could made a better move releasing this version right now on ios and take some longer time to make a remastered HD version for PC. Such desicion, maybe, could been helpful in promoting the deserved succes on PC plattaform. Anyway, i must agree with pocketgamer review that gave the game a strong 9 considering it a GOYT. Also, in a totally subjetive point of view, pixelhero gave me a 10/10 experience. Do i have some personal relation with pixelhero. No. Im just a fan of their work. What do i expect in change of providing a little support with this positive review? Nothing more than motivate this team to keep up the good work and invest again in such quality gaming experiences in the future. A lot of mobile gamers like me need them and value them a lot. Thank You

17. Nicoli14

Nicoli14 New Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Awesome awesome awesomesauce #

Not sure where all this negative perception comes from but regardless if it's on my 5s or 6s+, this game plays and looks like what the PS Vita came close to with a couple games, and that is PS3/360 quality graphics/story/gameplay on mobile.

To play a game on my iPhones that is also a same-day release as a PC game, and that game is only $10?! Not only is this truly an indication how far along mobile gaming has come but that there's more to come.

This is the biggest game purchase since Star Wars KOTOR and I'm truly impressed and have no regrets. It really is impressive but the side effect of being awesome is being larger than life. Like 3+GBs. Again another technical feat that should be praised.

So if you have an iPad Air, iPhone 5s, mini 3/4, and newer, you'll need to add this to your wish list asap.

Major kudos to Pixel Hero Games for showing me that for $10 I can experience a PC game on my iPhone which is now truly as fast as a PS3/360. Thank you thank you.

18. Nicoli14

Nicoli14 New Member

Sep 16, 2016
    In-game screenshots 6S+/5S

This is iPhone 6s+ and 5s in game screenshots. Kudos again to Pixel Hero Games

Attached Files:

19. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I want to like it but when making a game like this comparisons will be made and I just feel if your going to play a game that 5-10 (no idea how long it is). I want too continue the story but every time I have to walk or fight it becomes a task unfortunately, I'd only this played out more like a telltale game it's what the company seem to do best but cannot commit to solely storytelling

20. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    ##

Arena mode ????

21. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Another one bites the dust.