Effektz - free screensavers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mobile1up, Jul 19, 2009.

1. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    #1 mobile1up, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    during the lovely summer; Mobile 1UP got bored - here is a free application.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=322714177&mt=8

--
    Demo effects are real-time visual effects found in computer programs that were created by the demoscene to in the early 90's to express programming skills.

The Effektz application demonstrates the following real-time visual effects:

* rotating wire-frame cube
    * star field
    * fire
    * sinus plasma
    * lens effect

These are not pre-calculated graphical images played back - they are generated in real-time for every animation frame. To change an effect; simply tap the device screen, the video shown loops through all the visual effects available.

more information available (complete with a video) here: http://www.mobile1up.com/effektz/

We implemented the above effects; there were many implemented back in the day and we would be happy to add to the list above - they can be a great thing to sit back and watch and get mesmerized with :) if you want another effect - let us know here on the forum.

VIDEO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HRsSVt1Jc

// Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP - games and stuff
    http://www.mobile1up.com/

2. Love it. But I loved the demo scene back in the day. The Silents, The Carebears, The Lost Boys, Oxygene, Equinox, TEX, Inner Circle, RSi, etc, etc.

Good start here, so now we need:

- Glenz vectors
    - Jelly vectors
    - A playlist of a variety of polygon shapes
    - Shade bobs
    - Other plasma varieties (besides sinus)
    - Sinus dots, dot shapes and the like
    - Phong/Goraud Shaded and/or textured cubes
    - A variety of scrolltexts (sinus, DNA, tubular, etc.)
    - Multi-sprite shapes (shapes made of balls, generally, that morph from one to the next, made famous by RSi)

Probably more as I think about 'em. :)

3. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    #3 mobile1up, Jul 19, 2009
    ahh yes - i was heavily influenced by Future Crew :) i wasn't sure how well the app would be received, so i did five basic demo effects for starters :p and what the heck, its a freebie anyhow - a few years ago i ran a demo contest on palm os - it had some great submissions:

http://www.mobilewizardry.com/palm/contest/index.php

4. #4 Mindfield, Jul 19, 2009
    I was into the Atari ST demo scene myself, though I admired some of the Amiga stuff, too. (Spaceballs' State of the Art demo was crazy goodness back in the day. The Lost Boys tried to a similar music video-esque bit on the ST in their Ooh Crikey, Wot a Scorcher demo with a segment called Komische Sackratten Von Der Hohle, and it was pretty cool, but not quite of the same calibre, even if the music was better. :))

I saw a few demos on the Palm, actually, including some of those, and they were great. :) FWIW, I also bought MW's Atari Retro. On SD, no less, in its retail box. Now if that were to come out for the iPhone/Touch...

5. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    ahh.. Atari Retro :) - Atari 2600 emulation, i remember that - wasn't easy. i am not sure who has the license the days, but the code should work pretty easily (it was built with SHARK, and we have an iPhone port) :p would really just be a re-compile honestly.

6. I suppose it's too much to hope that getting the license again is a simple matter, huh? :)

Back to the demo, depending on just how bored you guys are, you should compile a bunch of them into a kind of iPhone megademo, complete with a game-like demo selector like you'd see in some of the cooler demos. :) Yeah, probably a bit ambitious for a freebie, but it's nice to think about.

In fact... why not hold a demo compo for the iPhone? We've already got lots of devs, and plenty of indies who might want to get in on some of the action. ;)

7. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    we were just pawns in a chess game - we developed it, another company distributed it (and, handled all the licensing). the apple SDK also prevents emulators from being distributed; but, some people, like SEGA get special treatment ;)

hehe.. i wanted my own 'chain rxn' type game today; seeing there are no good implementations - so i started coding one up.. during the development got a cool graphics effect :) its very similar to shade bobs - the effektz program is designed to have multiple effects written for it; it is very easy to slot another effect in.

i see everyone is charing $0.99 for this game too - maybe its time for a free version :)

that could be an interesting idea - the palm contest had a good turn out; we dont have the same contacts in the iphone industry - but it could be interesting to see what people could put together.. problem is the iphone isn't hard to do even a crappy demo on; plenty of memory and cpu ;)

Attached Files:

8. Actually, I suspect that in spite of their own language in the SDK rules and regs, Apple are giving a pass to completely self-contained emulators. Sega has indeed been passing muster, but so too did the Chip-8 emulator. Now, I don't know where the fault line lies with this, but I think I can suss it out from the evidence; Sega is emulating its own classics, so they have full rights, and the Chip-8 emulator is open-sourced freeware, so no license is needed. The Commodore 64 emulator imbroglio recently I suspect had to do with its planned ability to allow DLC of new games. It's fully licensed and contains only licensed games, so that's not the problem, and obviously Apple isn't completely against the idea of emulators given the above evidence, so the only thing that fits is that it isn't fully self-contained and would allow additional binaries to be downloaded via DLC.

The original Boomshine by Danny Miller (which Chain Rxn is a direct clone of) is on the App Store, and Sneezies is a good, cute implementation, too.

Close, but not quite the same thing. :) (I'm not sure where that demo is from, just came up in a YouTube search) Actually, this is closer to glenz vectors than anything. Glenz bobs, I guess you could call them. :)

A free version that shows up the original would be rather popular, I suspect. Danny wouldn't like it very much though. :D

Exactly. And the demos could be old or new school. It could be a cool idea; developers could get their name in a demo compilation that could also serve as a bit of self-promotion, which was really the whole point of the demo scene back in the day. I think you could get a pretty good turnout if word got around. Anyone who remembers the demo scene days (or who still follow the present-day PC scene) would get a kick out of a megademo, either for nostalgic reasons or as showoff pieces, and developers could have a bit of down-time fun coding up some cool and fun effects and artistic demos that would double as some quasi-advertisement couched in its own art form. :)

The Palm demos were impressive, especially given the hardware they were running on, so I can only imagine what sort of things developers familiar with the iPhone platform could turn out if they just let their creativity and mad coding skills run wild.

9. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i thought the C64 guy got rejected? even with the licensing?

i saw the thread where danny went nutz over chain rxn on facebook.

shadebob's add colors every frame; then decrease them. the more a bob covers a point; the brighter that point gets.. overtime; the points fade.. so; its a mixture of additive colors and fading.. chain rxn type games do the additive color thing ;) (which was what i was referring to)

i have played danny's version - i didn't like it as much. chain rxn may be a direct rip; but it adds a different model to the game play; specifically the scoring challenge. the games could use some improvement honestly - if danny gets upset; that just the way it is - but credit where credit is due helps.

i wonder who created the first gem swap game :) they surely could go crazy over the whole slew of gem swap games out there now. variations are due to be created; it wasn't long before the game and watch concept was copied from me either - some people even using the same graphics.. i wish nintendo would go after them ;) maybe i was getting too much publicity.

i wouldn't be surprised if there already was an iphone scene - there is one for symbian, psp and other mobile platforms. should keep and eye on it.

10. Yes, but I think it has to do with the ability to download new games for the emulator via DLC. Sega's emulated games and the Chip-8 emulator are all completely self-contained, which seems to be the only significant difference.

I can imagine. He left a comment on my blog when I reviewed the first Boomshine clone on the App Store, Chain Reaction [iTunes link]. He wasn't too happy with Felix about that one, either.

True, but I think what also makes the difference is that shadebob sprites use alpha channel shading too (they're more solid in the center), so they make very different patterns than solid, flat circles. :)

I played Danny's version as a Flash game first, and loved it originally, but since the sub-genre has expanded considerably since then, his original feels kind of short. Chain Rxn was also kind of short, though I liked the musical sounds in it. Chain Rxn I think was adapted to be more of a social game given its Facebook roots, so the scoring challenge would make sense.

A bloke by the name of Eugene Alemzhin, who created Scharik Game, apparently, which had almost identical gameplay, though far simpler graphics. This inspired a few clones in DOS. That in turn inspired startup PopCap Games to write Diamond Mine in Flash, which was later renamed (by Microsoft of all people) to Bejeweled.

I liked the ones that simulated the original LCD myself, but then I'm a sucker for the nostalgia stuff. :D

But yeah, I'm sure Eugene could scarcely believe PopCap's popularity when they released Bejeweled.

I haven't found one yet, but it would be interesting if it did exist. I suspect there's still a lot of pie-in-the-sky developers concentrating on trying to strike it rich on the App Store though, so who knows if there's been time enough for a scene to get organized? I'd love to see one though.

11. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Does it really keep my screen on?

12. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    it should :) while these are great effects to show - they are very CPU intensive and probably should not be run all the time. they will definitely chew your battery