Edit: Scott McKenna app approved!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Jeremy1026, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Jeremy1026

Jeremy1026 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    #1 Jeremy1026, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    Edit:
    I am very happy to announce that Apple has changed their policy and thus, accepted the application for Scott McKenna. It released today and is free to download. It feature 4 songs from 2 albums, information about his tour dates and a feed from his twitter account. If you are a fan of music, specifically rock/alternative, I would recommend you at least check out this guy. You can download the app by following the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scott-mckenna/id322170226?mt=8

Thank you Apple for changing your policy to allow this (and other apps like it) app.

Original Post:
    I wrote a free app for Scott McKenna, to help him promote his music. I submitted it to Apple only to be denied. For what reason you ask? Because "Your app downloads media files that are not managed by the iTunes application, which also manages media files, we believe this would be confusing to the user." That's all well and dandy, except the app does NOT download and media files. They are stored within the application bundle. I want to know why the larger artists such as Death Cab For Cutie and Nine Inch Nails are permitted to have their apps in the store, since they provide the same functionality.

Basically, I just want to know why Apple lets other apps with the same functionality through, but deny mine. I know I won't get the answer here, but maybe a little publicity will get Scott's app in the store.

Below are a couple of screenshots from the app:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I think that the reviewer saw that your app was playing music and thought it was downloading and yea. Just try to submit it again and if it doesn't work then change some part of the app

3. Jeremy1026

Jun 9, 2008
    Sadly, we did resubmit, with notes that the media is in the application bundle. And we got the same response back. We don't know what to do, we just want to get this app out to help get the word out about Scott's music. We also have full consent from Scott to use his music and images in the application.

4. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    No one knows exactly how the app submission works so I'm just throwing out some ideas here, but when you resubmitted do you resubmit using the "replace binary" button? I'm wondering if you can just outright cancel the submission and then create a new app submission so that you hopefully get a different reviewer.

5. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I hate to break it to you, but this kind of stuff happens. Apple's just really picky about things because its owner (Steve Jobs) is as minimalist as he is. And it's true. Why else would they have waited so long to give the newest iPod Touch/iPhone software a copy/paste function? Why else did the device start out with two buttons on it?

6. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    While it does suck that your app got bounced, I think to assume that they are playing favorites is probably not the case. What would their motive be?

It's probably just a case of different app content reviewers judging guidelines differently or something. Make a case for yourself to them, not to us. If other apps are doing the exact same thing, as you seem to be saying, then tell Apple. Hopefully your issue will get resolved.

Good luck to you.

7. Jeremy1026

Jun 9, 2008
    I am very happy to announce that after almost 6 months of back and forth with Apple, this app is FINALLY available for download.

It is 100% free, so if you are into music, specifically rock/alternative I recommend you check it out. It can be downloaded by following the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scott...322170226?mt=8