Universal Edge of Oblivion: Alpha Squadron 2 (by Martian Monkey)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2015.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hey Dragan, why not post your own impressions instead of copying and pasting what L0rdShad0wz already said some days ago? That would help more than copy/paste, and if you do that, you could at least quote instead of assigning other's comments to you... :-/

Gamewise, the game you get for $5 is well worth the price, and the $7 for the extra ship+campaign is also worth the asked price. You don't need the extra missiles to enjoy the game. And that's my opinion, not anyone else's...

2. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Bumping to say this is really quite good. Better then I was expecting.

Some of the later missions are intense with ships flying everywhere but all still at a solid Frame Rate (mini3). I'm on mission 8 of the first campaign now but only had 1 silver medal so far, so replaying if you're into that kind of thing will give a ton more gameplay.

Think mission 7 was a bit crazy on the amount of missiles fired at me. Which brings me to the main annoyance of two that I have with the game.

The "swipe to barrel roll / avoid missile" gesture is not being detected well at all, and yes this is with the updated version where it was meant to be fixed. Seems the same gesture sometimes works and sometimes (usually) doesn't. There needs to be more forgiveness in that.

The other (small) thing is that to give your wingmen new orders you must wait for their little speech bubble to disappear which takes a little too long. They say "what are your orders" and then ignore the tap until that text has gone away but I don't need 3 seconds to read it lol

All in all a good little effort with decent controls (virtual stick method I was using) and some good action.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #43 squarezero, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    This line of argument would make sense in the console market, where game prices are essentially capped at $60. Charging for additional content (particularly content that is ready at release) is a way for publishers to get around that limitation.

In the AppStore market, though this is nonsense. A game like this one is seriously underpriced (in terms of development costs and expected sales). Charging for a second campaign is not a way to go beyond a price cap; it's a very generous way to let you try out a game without charging full price for it. If you think the game is worth the full $8.00, then go ahead and spend it. If not, you wasted half of what you would have otherwise. There is no reasonable disadvantage for a customer in this system. The game gives you hours of entertainment for a very reasonable price, with the option of purchasing more only if you like the game. That's a win/win in my book.

4. Thanks for your comments on the game and your support! As for the Barrel roll issue we have another update v1.02 coming that should make it a lot easier to pull off this move. The problem we have right now is Apple's horrendously slow update review time - Two weeks for the last update! Anyone's guess how long they will take this time.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There are expedited reviews which seem to go faster. I'm no dev, so I don't know when you can request these or how many you have per year, it's just from what I've read in these forums.

6. Thanks VirtualBoyFreak, after waiting patiently for twelve days we discovered that too and that's the only reason the first critical update made it to the appstore when it did. According to the response we got from Apple, "expedited reviews cannot be guaranteed and are provided on a limited basis" so it is at their discretion apparently.

7. Just want to say thank you to squarezero and others for their positive comments regarding this issue. Developing a game like this takes an incredible amount of development resources for a tiny developer like us and when released, just breaking even is a struggle. None of the IAP is required to play, enjoy or win in the game, it is there only if you enjoy it enough to want more or want to make things easier.

In better news we just got reviewed right here on TouchArcade with 4 1/2 stars! :)

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/09/edge-of-oblivion-alpha-squadron-2-review/

To all of you who have bought the game and enjoyed it, THANK YOU for your support and please remember to rate us! We are currently working on more updates to improve the game.

8. Version 1.02 is live and should make pulling the barrel roll move off a lot easier please let us know if it helps!

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    How is it since it became freemium?

10. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Erm.... I paid 4.99 for this game and now it is saying I only have the trial version. I don't have the money to pay for this again...

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    From the update notes:

12. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Does this work on latest iOS?