iPad Edge not on the UK store?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sambo110, May 22, 2009.

1. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I have a friend who wants to buy Edge, they live in the UK. Any reason why it isn't on the UK store? Is it coming to the UK store any time soon?

2. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Edge was pulled because of licensing reasons. If I remember right, there's a squatter who has a trademark to Edge, and if you want to use that name you need to pay him licensing fees.

3. Draven

Draven Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Spot on. If you go to the website of the IP "holder" you can see that magazines and movies have had to be officially licensed from him because of this.

4. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
  5. TideTime

Mar 5, 2009
  6. Draven

Draven Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Personal involvement could be stretching it just a little ;) Given a choice between a name check and small payment or a court case, I think the magazine took the easy way.

7. TideTime

Mar 5, 2009
    Heh, thanks Draven. Was going off of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Langdell

I originally read that as he helped start the magazine. Never mind :)

8. Draven

Draven Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Yeah amazing how diplomatically things can be worded :) Like he worked with the movie company to license the movie. Uh huh, course ya did. If this guy cared as much as his various positions in various trade bodies suggest he should, Edge would still be on the App Store with his blessing.

9. TideTime

Mar 5, 2009
    Heh, agreed. No wonder he got so much hate when I was listening to the podcast talking about him... I think it was Rebel FM.

I realize he may not be a squatter by definition, but when your most credible games listing stars:
    # Garfield: Big Fat Hairy Deal (1987)
    # Snoopy: The Case of the Missing Blanket (1992)

I start to wonder :D

10. Draven

Draven Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Absolute landmark titles in videogaming history.

11. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    He has the rights. That's the start and finish of it.

If you want the 'well if he cared' line then if the multi-million $$ Nintendo cared they'd let a developer create a Mario clone, Digital Chocolate / Secret Exit / Chillingo and everyone else should let someone do .99c versions of their games because they care about gamers too and we should have free versions of every game because, hey, gaming matters.

There is a lot more to it.

12. Draven

Draven Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I see your point, but there is a difference between someone using a seemingly common word and someone cloning an established and huge selling game. But a big court case is looming and I'm sure legal minds sharper than ours will figure something out.

13. TideTime

Mar 5, 2009
    Agreed. The legality doesn't have to mean it's acceptable. Saw a bit more on this for those interested in reading:

via GameSetWatch

14. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Apple
    That single word cost millions of dollars.

If you go study Apple's record in stealing other names and inventions you will find they are far from pure too.

iphone? Cisco got that first.

15. Draven

Draven Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Microsoft tried to own the word "Word" and got it in the neck from a judge. It's a tricky area. The easiest trick is to just get an injunction to get something stopped. Doesn't matter whether you win or not, the other guys have to pull their game. If the injunction is found to be null, it gets lifted but the damage is done. No compensation for a baseless injunction, just lost sales. Pay them for a "license" or lose your sales. Just to cover both sides, Edge do have to actively protect the upkeep of the IP else they get into the same situation that Universal Pictures got into when they tried to sue Nintendo over Kong and lost, and indeed ended up owing Nintendo royalties. It's a dodgy area of law that people can make serious revenue streams out of if they can prove they own something as innocent as a word. I'm off to trademark the word Forum. :)