iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Stop, you are making Eclipse sound like a very complex game and scaring me away. :)

2. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Anybody know if there is a real time multiplayer mode? (For people that want to play in one session)

3. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    All online multiplayer games are synchronous and asynchronous at the same time, so if you play with a friend and you won't to log out, it's real time and synchronous.

All local games can be configured to be played with other human opponents (on a single device) and/or AI opponents.

Does any of those answer your question? :)

4. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I'm getting slowdown on my iPad 3. The frame rate is really low and the interface unresponsive. I've turned off all the effects; no change. Scrolling around the map is a bit of a chore. Still love the game though, so I'm trying my best to play through.

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#145 andsoitgoes, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    6) YES YES. there's much potential here. And I would assume anyone who puts their all into the physical game probably enjoys stats and numbers ;). Seriously though, I remember playing a game and I went from 30ish VP to 15 when the last turn ended. I GET sort of what happened, but a break down is vital to help master the game and really understand things.

5) But some planets you can choose what they produce? For those, it would be a crap shoot wouldn't it?

4) Sorry, yes I know but some are technically negative as it takes less rolls or... You get what I mean. The problem I have is that when you research, it shows "allows building of such and such tech" when I did not realize what those did in the long run, if that makes sense? Others might be familiar with the process and what the icons mean and do, but not me.

3) I'm not explaining it properly, I will play another few games and see if I experience the same issues and try to report that.

Oh and 7 - sounds like you and I need to play. Crappy players unite!!

Dude, I am dumb like a brick and while it IS very complicated, it's far more accessible than most of the 4X games like Orion, and I get it more than a lot of the board game apps on the iPad. While I gave up on Puerto Rico and Le Harve, I have been GLUED to this one, although I didn't get a chance to play today, I thought about it like it was my sexy mistress. Sexy, hot, space mistress.

Oh, one tiny complaint, and I presume the art is based off of the board game, but seriously, there couldn't be a SINGLE even remotely attractive female character? And what's with homeboy and his crazy 'stache?!? That thing is the first thing in the game you see and HOLY MOLY that thing should have its own zip code.

[​IMG]

6. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I love this game. Very well done BGC!!

But i have a problem:
    In my last game the discount doesnt work.
    I've clicked on research and then on the antimatter cannon.
    I've researched the Gauss Shield before, but the cost for antimatter was 14!
    Thats not right, isnt it?

Do u know what i mean?
    My english is not the best :D

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Oh that's very true. I almost always put my universal planets as money so I can worry less about upkeep.

Totally up for a game any time! I haven't tried online yet but if it has chat I can tell you what the symbols mean if they don't make sense.

Eclipse isn't complicated, it's surprisingly straight forward. The difficulty comes from the scope of the game. There is quite a few things to think about all at once and that can be really tough for people. Personally, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it but when I lose, and lord help I lose often, I can see that I was focusing on one area/thing too much and lost focus of another area. As you play you get better and things just start making more and more sense. It's a really enjoyable experience.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The numbers on the Antimatter cannon start at 14/7

Meaning the current price is 14 science and the minimum possible price is 7 science

9. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    #149 nuutsch, May 2, 2013
    Yes, but when i've researched two science technologies before, the current price has to be cheaper then 14?!

10. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #150 abstractgamefreak, May 2, 2013
    App won't start at all after crash and reboot

Getting crashes here, too, on iPad 2 with iOS 6.13 and 64GB. Local game in progress, two player, fourth round. I can reload, but after my turn it will crash again. Pity, because things are finally running well. Not the first local game I have to abandon in the middle, because the app won't let me continue. Grrr, seems not so thoroughly beta-tested as expected. And I had a curious online game, where the other human player, who wasn't online, always passed after my turn. How could he?

UPDATE: now the whole app will not start, despite quit and reboot of the iPad. I probably will have to un- and reinstall. There seem to be serious probs with the game that hopefully get ironed out soon... Again the fate of an early adopter #

11. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Hmm, strange. Is your device Jailbroken? And even if it isn't, could you instal iExplorer on your computer and download the Documents, Library etc. folders from the app and contact me then?

12. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Multiplayer has to be addressed, unless I'm missing something. I've joined several games where the person who started the game abandoned before even starting. Now the game shows up in my games but I'm unable to quit or resign. I can't join any other games and don't see a work around.

13. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Done. Just PM me where I should send the stuff...

14. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Quit those games. There's an X next to each game, tap it and quit.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This game is so confusing. I guess I have to study BGG, but that's probably going to wait until I feel up to the task. LOL. Also the text is tiny. A little hard to read. I don't understand, for example, why the explanations of upgrades need to be so small. There's plenty of space on the screen for larger text.

16. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Won my first AI game! ::fist pump::

Been playing against two AIs on normal, all Terran so everyone is equal. Figure it's easier to learn this way. Definitely a great 4x experience without having to spend 12 hours to finish a game. Awesome!

17. wildcardd

wildcardd Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Can someone explain what the ranged victory points mean?

Some are 1-2 or 2-4 if I remember correctly. I didn't see it in the manual and am a bit confused as to how that works.

If I look at my total score at the end of a round it will say something like 26-35. I am assuming it is due to all the ranged vp's I got earlier.

Thanks

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You're absolutely right. The VP shields that have 1-4 on them (Ie the ones you get after battle) are ranged so the computer gives you the minimum and highest possible score a person could have.

19. wildcardd

wildcardd Member

Apr 16, 2009
    And then at the end of round 9 are they randomly drawn to determine the final score? Any idea why they do that?

20. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    They are drawn after each combat and they go to your diplomacy/reputation track, accessible in-game (lower left).