iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. fastspinecho

fastspinecho Active Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Nine rounds doesn't mean nine actions. You get multiple actions (build, research, move, etc) in each round, although they get progressively more expensive. At the end of the round, you collect income and replenish your colony ships.

By the end of the game, you'll have had plenty of opportunities for exploration and combat. You won't take over the whole map, though. That's not the point - it's a boardgame, so it's good that it ends before one player dominates. Why would the other players stick around otherwise?

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Fellow iOS people

[​IMG]

And this, this is why consumable IAP wins. Because step 3 is ALWAYS profit.

Thank you. I may take issue with the pricing of some games, sometimes even some board games that are questionable and leave out vital things, like a full featured game.

But when you code and bring something like THIS to the App Store, well just DAYAM it's all sorts of shut up and take my money.

The retail price on this game is around $100. Here, you are getting a fully featured game that you can play locally or online... For $7!!! If that's not a stupid good deal, I don't know what is n

[​IMG]

PLEASE WILL SOMEONE WHO SUCKS PLAY WITH ME!?

3. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I'll play with you.

But...I will warn you, I haven't played yet. I still need to check out the tutorial, so I can't promise many turns tonight. I'll be learning as I go.

4. andsoitgoes

Oh no worries at all. You could play one turn a week and you'd be fine.

I'll add you :)

BDC - is there even the slightest chance you could allow for multiple local games ala Ascension?

I might want to play a game with my wife and one with my kids, but I can't :(

Dude. Your name. I just got it. That's fanTASTIC.

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Can we keep the price discussion to a minimum, and by that I mean none. Thank you.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    andsoitgoes, I can play a game with you too. I would also recommend playing 3P games eventually.

7. andsoitgoes

Crap. I created my profile with my name. I need to fix this, so for all those awesome people who I started games with, I had to cancel the games I think.

8. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Cool. I'll play my turns fairly often. I have my iPad with me everywhere I go. The problem that I will have is trying to figure out what I am supposed to do in the game. It's complex to say the least.

I'm half way through the tutorial now...and I'm no closer to knowing how to play than I was before I started. I think I might have to do some additional research at BGG for some tips.

:D

9. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    My game definitely does not run this well. I'm using an iPad 3 and my game stutters whenever I do anything. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

10. denisvjcr

denisvjcr Active Member

Oct 2, 2012
    This game has a beautiful interface , well done !

11. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Regarding the stuttering, about halfway through the tutorial my game went from silky smooth to having an odd hitch every two seconds or so. That hitch has stuck with the game unfortunately, even through reboots. It's not too big of an annoyance.

I haven't lost a game yet to the AI, which doesn't mean I'm good or anything but I do have a few strategies that may or may not suck.

I'll just throw out a tip or two here and if you guys think these work for you I will throw out some more.

Make a bee line for the galaxy center and take it ASAP for the rich victory points and colony worlds. Then try to create a line of impassible systems that force the enemies to go through the center to get to any of your other systems. Stack your defenses there and then you can easily keep exploring in safety. Avoid engine, colony, and energy researches. The negative influence,hull, and shields are the best researches in this strategy. Don't feel the need to go into bankruptcy to immediately influence a sector, since an influence move isn't really a bad move on your next turn. And finally, research, explore, and upgrade first. See what the enemy does with their fleets, then use your (hopefully) superior number of turns to move and or build your ships once they have already passed.

12. reflipp

reflipp Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    The retail price on this game is around $100. Here, you are getting a fully featured game that you can play locally or online... For $7!!! If that's not a stupid good deal, I don't know what is

Hmmm....

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Is there no way to know what your opponents have done on their turn when you come back to an async game to take your turn?

14. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I've see that commented on as a negative in the pocket tactics review. As far as stuttering on the ipad 3, I barely noticed it until it was mentioned, so while there, it's not an issue for me. I'm sure in a couple of updates that can be fixed. Addressing the other issue might be more of a challenge as to how that info is going to be displayed. Le Havre uses text to tell you what happened, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to actually show the opponents moves.

15. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Diving in, looking like a great week for the ipad

16. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Second that. There is no save game option. I wanted to keep the tutorial game to complete it later and start a new game with my son, and oops, gone was it.

17. andsoitgoes

You can also get back into the tutorial from the rules menu. You have to restart the whole thing and it wipes out your current game, but at least you can play it

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Lack of save on the tutorial is a pain, but seems a winner so far.

19. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Yes, we have the technology! :) It's just not part of the UI yet, but sounds like a reasonable idea.