iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Never played the board game, but I took the plunge because it looks great. I'm also having trouble early in the tutorial. I can't send a ship to colonize planets in the 1st explored hex. Is this where everybody else is getting hung up? Gotta say design and production values are top drawer. :confused: + :)

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    From what I read on BGG it's iPad 1 compatible, the devs even added options to turn off certain effects to help it run faster if you don't need the extra flash.

3. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    ok no campaign.... but I hate AI bots! Should have challenges or scenarios!

4. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    You just tap each planet to colonize it. Doesn't this work? Two glowing dots should start circling over both planets (one per planet) and you should be able to accept your move then.

5. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Damn this has got to be the sexiest boardgame implementation ever. It was a long wait but well worth it. I'm just playing the AI but it's a nice challenge, haven't won yet. The UI is so slick, they really outdid themselves, most of the info you need is readily accessible, of course they couldn't fit every game rule on the play board, but really this is awsome. This will be an epic release for a long time to come I think. Wow

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You'll need to wait for BDC's Eclipse Puzzle, then. :p

7. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    yeah! :p

8. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Oops!

Just tried it again, and it works if both planets are selected. Foolishly, I kept selecting one then the other and never got the confirm check mark to light up. :rolleyes: Continuing on... Congrats on a great looking app!

9. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Picked this up mainly because NH and NHP have never left my iPad 2 and from positive reviews of the board game itself on BGG. I'm extremely impressed. The interface and UI are amazing for a game this complex. I have no idea how this was ever played as a physical game, it must have had more pieces than Twilight Imperium!

The tutorial was great. It answered almost all of my questions, and I even went on to win my first game once the tutorial let me finish out the rounds.

A few suggestions for an otherwise excellent game:
    1. There are some minor grammatical errors in the tutorial and rules. Nothing big, but it stands out when everything else is so polished. However, one big mistake is in the research. Half of the tiles use Allows building of xxx whereas the other half uses Allows to build xxx. Just make them all Allows you to build xxx.

2. PLEASE put the energy and initiative modifiers in the text descriptions. When I am going to buy new research I don't always know how much more energy or initiative the piece will give. I could refer to the rule book or just learn them but I think listing it in the text is a good idea.

3. Please have an advanced tutorial that deals more with diplomatic relations, the traitor, and exactly how your reputation tray works. For example, what is the question mark on the right side of the reputation tray and what do the three people below the reputation tray mean?

4. Please change how games are made. Pressing local mode and online game take you to the exact same place! It is confusing and sloppy and should be changed in the first patch before anything else.

5. Why do you have three Terran species? They are all completely identical except for their portraits. If your intention is to let more than one player play as the Terrans, then allow the same for all species, remove two Terran species, and allow any species to toggle their portrait and piece color.

Anyways, those are my thoughts after a few hours. I urge everyone to pick up this great app!

10. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Just to make sure - which one is correct? 'Allows to build xxx' or 'Allows building xxx'. We had a guy on our website (native, British I guess), who told us in the comments not to use the 'Allows to build xxx'.

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Listen so, does anyone want to help me play a game and chat over Skype? I'm a daft idiot and I'd love some help, I think it would really help.

Pretty please with cream and sugar and... I'm hungry.

12. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Pieces, you say?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thank you kindly. Gotta wait for salary, though. I'll be all over this soon.

14. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You can get away with, "Allows you to build bakeries," or, "Allows building of bakeries," but not, "Allows to build bakeries."

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Awesomeness, dude. I'll check this out tonight after work.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I believe this is just a cute way to allow a three player basic game without all of the fun twists the aliens bring into play. Like when teaching new players how to play.

17. andsoitgoes

Speaking of that...

Skype...

Help an idiot?

:)

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Query: How is the in-game tutorial doing for a total newbie?

Complaint: the last BDC boardgame conversion leaves me totally no idea how and why AI can do something but I cannot...

19. andsoitgoes

Well from me, I am left fairly confused.

But I think for the complexity, they've done as good as they could.

Hey, let's try getting a group Skype going! You, me and someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing.

20. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The board game has six alien races, and six human (Terran) factions. Playing an all-Terran round is pretty much the "base game" that new players are encouraged to start with, with the aliens bringing in new abilities for a more advanced match.