iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #481 Riotgirl, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    The issues that TA and PT users have identified has stopped me purchasing the game. Instead, I plumped for Starbase Orion - officially placing a restraining order on the App Store - for my 4x multiplayer fix (working my way through a 7 player AI game to get a feel for the strategies).

I would love to play an async multiplayer Eclipse game at some stage. However, there are just too many glaring issues to consider purchasing in its present state.

BDC need to communicate with the player base to advise them on progress for any updates, otherwise run the risk of players becoming disgruntled, deleting the app and moving on. There is this bug-fix list on BDC's website, but no indication of when the update is likely.

Also, I think it is a major error to focus on a large update, rather than smaller, more frequent rolling updates that would (1) eliminate a few bugs per update, (2) reduce the possibility of introducing more bugs, and (3) demonstrate to players a commitment to continually improve the game. To reiterate Geoelectric's original point.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, I have deleted this app and will not redownload it until the issues are fixed.

3. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #483 Windburn, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    To be fair, that bug list you linked to has been progressively updated to reflect when they have actually attended to the relevant bug/feature. That's a big list and they're clearly working hard on it since 90% of the bugs and even a few of the "big ticket" items have already been addressed.

I can't imagine the sort of work required to go into adding a completely new system to multiplayer (being able to view turns) and the sorts of incidental bugs and issues that might arise from that. I'm certainly not in a position to dictate to proven, quality developers how to run their shop.

All up, this is a phenomenal accomplishment on iOS and for one, I'm glad that they're giving it the spit and shine it deserves, even if it does miff a few of the more jaded, impatient gamers out there.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I had so little confidence in BDC before this mess, and what little there was is shot now. Huge issues with the game that everyone noticed on their very first playthrough demonstrate complete failure with their testing process. And now almost four months later and we're still on version 1.0 with no end in sight.

I understand the mega-patch idea and see why they might want to do it that way, but the game is completely broken right now. BDC needs to figure this out quick or no one is going to bother coming back once the game is fixed (if it ever is).

5. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Having been an early supporter of Neuroshima Hex I am pretty familiar with their MO... and can say I have no doubt the update is coming. They unfortunately take a long time to do things but they do complete them if they say they are going to.

I just think in this case a hotfix should have been done months ago to fix some of the more glaring issues. Some of the more code intensive ones could wait for the big patch... but a lot of things could have been addressed fairly easily.

6. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
  7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I talked to the devs directly asking a random question, and assuming there are no issues, the update will be submitted tonight!

The biggest fix is the cypress bug, I love the name, but all of the crossed off items are in this fix.

Maybe it took a while, but it's getting done!

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Awesome thanks for the update!

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I see the preview of spending limits got crossed off... I was really hoping they'd scrap that suggestion.

I hope I can disable it because it's completely unnecessary since all you have to do is look at your income to know your spending limit. In a game about trying to wrap your head around all these different things having the rounds influence/income done automatically makes the game easier.

It's like the X spaces in Carcassonne. It's wildly helpful for beginners but it's a huge part of the game's strategy taken away from the hardcore players that they have the option of disabling.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Most of these board game apps don't seem to be made for "vets" of the games anyway. I'm always reading on BGG how people that are really good at a given game can beat most of even the "hardest" AI levels with their eyes closed.

That said, I'm the perfect person that these apps are made for, as I rarely go beyond a casual player of most of these games, so the AI's are always a decent challenge for me. And conseqently, I have no problem with the putting in things that make the game a little easier to grasp.

But I suppose your complaint is valid in a multiplayer game where everyone is already good at the game.

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

^--- that. I will be terribly thankful for this. I've started to realize how little I still know about the game, and having that visible will leave my struggling brain cells to have to focus on one less thing now ;)

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I don't have any issue with helping players grasp the game or make it easier for them to play. I suppose my bigger issue is that if BDC just rearranged the top row of resources it wouldn't need any special implementation.

If the Money resource was all the way to the right it would be over the Influence gauge and make it easier to see how they are tied together.
    Then the Science could be on the far left so it correlates with the research tracks when they open. The middle would be the Materials.

A single splash screen showing the change and an explanation of how the first number is the resources you earn at the end of the turn and the second numbner is the resources you have in the bank would help players understand how these two things are connected. A more in depth tutorial would be better but a spash screen will get the job done.

The tile counts in Carcassonne allow casual players to complete with players that have memorized tiles. It's a benefit to the community as a whole because it lets even the most casual players compete with the dedicated hardcore niche.

But this, at least in my opinion, does the opposite because players will just pay attention to the yellow marker in the Influence track. I already see it in Eclipse MP as players keep taking turns until they go bankrupt because they don't realize they are spending money. So they end up throwing valuable actions/territories away. If they focus on a little indicator then new players will end up taking as many turns as they can every turn which is better, but still not something you should be doing every turn.

A clearer tutorial with the top row reorganizing would be far more usful to all players.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Oh, don't get too down on that count. You can take such claims with a generous dose of salt; it's considered a serious mark of shame on BGG to ever, ever admit to being beaten by an AI, so nobody ever does.

I've even caught a familiar somebody (who shall remain nameless) admitting on TA that the AI was wiping the floor with him, and then a day later posting on BGG about how he beats the AI blindfolded and never loses. :p

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Does anyone know if this actually happened?

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The major bugfix update for Eclipse is now available.

16. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    That chatbot is just so weird!

Anyway, installing the patch now. Two things of note, one it seems to invalidate old save games or it did with mine causing it to crash on resume, so finish your game first to be safe, and two, it hasn't seemed to have addressed any frame rate stuttering issues which is the major reason I don't play nearly as often as I would. Ah well maybe be update!

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Has anyone noticed if online chat is now persistent? It'd be nice to not have to switch to iMessage

18. andylikai

andylikai New Member

May 9, 2012
    Me and my friend were playing this. But seems like we found a bug.
    In the beginning of his new round, it asks him to uninfluence 5 sectors, because he over-act in previous round.
    He did uninfluence, but it still not able to pay up, coz 2 sectors contains the money planet.

And we just stuck at there, cannot do anything, and can't continue......

Anybody found the same issue? How to solve?

Attached Files:

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    If that player has no way to forfeit the game then the match is probably busted. No one can do anything until his turn is over and since he can't finish a turn his turn won't end.

If anything, try and contact BDC directly and see if they have a way to fix it in game. Even if they can't fix it they will at least be aware of the problem so they can fix it with a patch.

Good luck

20. andylikai

andylikai New Member

May 9, 2012
    Thanks, I will write to them tonight to feedback the problem.