iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #461 MrMojoRisin, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    That sucks. How could they have not fixed such a glaring issue yet?

Wait, if the AI uses it, then is it supposed to be that way in the game?

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Nope, it is not. From the manual, page 24:

I'm pretty sure I saw BDC acknowledge the bug and mention they were working on it on BGG.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Can we players make use of that bug, or is it exclusive to AI only?

4. Slacker

Jun 18, 2009
    Players can use it too.

5. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    So at least it's fair. It just makes the game totally cheesy and unrealistic.

So if you take a hex, release it, then take it again, do you get those resources added to your income AGAIN?

6. Slacker

Jun 18, 2009
    No, I think the planets will still show as "full," and will not be available for new population cubes.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VeganTnT: I am afraid the current state of the game is not really ripe to go another round of lesson. If you don't mind to go another round, let me know.

8. Slacker

Jun 18, 2009
  9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
  10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Salvage it?

Seriously?

I came into the game having never played the board game and have easily been confused by some of the big name board games on the App Store, but this game (after a few plays) became much easier to understand. Beyond that, I've had minor issues in comparison to the crazy complexity of this game. Hell, just look at the board game. That's all here, and while it is imperfect, it's still pretty solid

11. Slacker

Jun 18, 2009
    Salvage is maybe a bit too strong of a term, but for people who know the board game well and want to play it competitively online, the game is just plain broken. There are major issues that we all found immediately upon trying the app for the first time, and the fact that you can't see what your opponents do in multiplayer makes it impossible to react to their strategy.

They did some things right, but as of now a lot of us are awaiting a major update before bothering with the game any more.

12. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Any update on this patch? It's been almost 3 months since this post... Even a partial update at this point would be good as a lot of these bugs (which you have already crossed off the list) really effect gameplay.

Thanks!

13. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah. I'm holding off playing until the patch since at least one bug is totally game breaking (strategy wise) and I don't want to learn the game that way.

Starting to feel a little burned here.

14. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #474 eflin, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    Agreed... a lot of these bugs could have been solved with a very quick hotfix. (For example changing the alien cruiser initiative to 2 is likely only changing 1 number in the code). This should have been done immediately following release when all these issues were pointed out.

I have been a big fan of your stuff bigdaddy but you are really dropping the ball on this one! You did such a good job on this app overall but are shooting yourselves in the foot with how long this update is taking. Some of these bugs REALLY hurt the game.

For example: in the last game I played on the app... One of the computers had 18 material production after his first turn! By Round 7 he had made 4 cruisers... 2 dreadnoughts... and had 75 material in his bank... this is truly crazy! Thankfully I still kicked his butt since he wasn't smart enough to trade his materials in for science to get upgrades... so all his never ending ships just got wrecked by mine.

EDIT: also... it would be nice if you taught the AI good counter PM strategy. Then more people would know how to deal with it as I'm sure people pick up tricks from the AI all the time... The key is improved hull and shields. If they have to roll a 6 to hit you with the missiles and are sitting ducks if they miss... you just need some hull to survive the couple of 6's they roll....

For that matter... the AI in general seems to employ good baseline strategies... but they don't react to what others are doing appropriately.... I know you can't program every scenario in... but capturing some of the big ones would be nice!

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I agree with the second point but I'm not concerned with the PM strategy. I generally run and switch to smaller ships and force the enemy to engage single units to waste their time while I cut off supply lines. If I can catch them buying computers and reactors I'll stop researching and end turns early so I can grab missles as soon as they become available.

It will all be changed when the Rise of the Ancients expansion since it rebalances missles to remain useful but not be the wreaking ball it is now.

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    But with the support this app has gotten so far, should we ever expect to see that expansion available in the app?

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hmm, thinking on it, I'm not sure anything should be "expected" if only because games are complex things dealing with devs, license holders, and we've all been burned by talk of "coming soon" updates. What I should say is that from what I've seen with BDC they tend to go silent and then release big updates. This lull isn't abnormal from them by any means.

I know the 3 new armies are coming out for Neuroshima Hex on iOS and Android but there's no mention if they are having to update all the armies with the new Neuroshima Hex 3.0 board game art. There is also a new army that only consists of three units (Dancer) and they said it would be quite challenging to change their engine to work with it.

It's entirely possible they had to shift focus and pull people working on Eclipse in order to work on their most popular dual platform app.

I am very much hoping Rise is coming though. It's not necessary but it adds a lot of refinement that would make Eclipse for iOS even better.

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

I hope this is the case. I purchased this app while it was on sale and I haven't touched it since because I was waiting for it to be patched. I don't mind the wait as long as they do it right and stamp out the major bugs. However I think everyones patience is starting to wear a little thin.

19. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I wouldn't have minded so much if the bankruptcy bug hadn't been there. My understanding (keeping in mind I haven't played) is that this completely shifts game strategy.

It's a little frustrating that they do depend on uberpatches. Good software practice nowadays dictates releasing in as small a work unit and as frequently as makes sense for the deployment mechanism. I realize with the App Store that means *somewhat* bigger patches than, say, a web app, but this is kind of silly.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    As a consumer and board game lover I agree that some of these bugs need to be fixed quickly since they effect strategy.

At the same time I have to think about how many times I've seen apps get a .1 update, then .1.1 bugfix, then .1.2 hotfix because of conflicts in the new builds. One massive update has to be much less work since you're constantly able to monitor stability before sending it to apple.

The AppStore doesn't really help either since it only shows ratings for the current version of the app. Users might rank app 5 stars but how often do they go back and re rank it after each bug fix? Not many. What if that update offered lots of bugfixes, new content, or features? Much more likely.

I'm trying to be level headed but damn if I don't want those bugfixes and persistent online chat ;)