iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: Shame, I totally forgot what I have been doing. And as I see one lone unmodified dreadnought cannot quite stand against an Ancient.

Statement: let's go on.

Query: red? I always thought it were orange...

Request: any guide to upgrading ships would be very much appreciated.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I can't view the specifics while its your turn but a Dreadnaught absolutely could kill that single ancient ship. You can take three hits which means you will last at least two rounds of battle. With two guns that hit on 5-6 you have a high likelihood of winning. There's no +2 computer but that in a free space would make you hit on 3-6. There is a 2 damage gun available to buy in our game... With that upgrading your guns you only need one hit to kill that ancient.

I think the game has it like a red orange but my iPad brightness is usually really low so it makes it look red. I don't like cooking my retinas before 6am ;)

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #423 currymutton, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Cheering: After another 3 straight loses, I finally get a victory!

Get the missiles in mid-game and then I get the Center Defense. Then I get 2 extra sectors from the opponents rich with planets, while it is busy tracking down the Ancients.
    [​IMG]

Statement: VeganTnT, I am sorry as I forgot to move anything at the start of that round, so there is no way I can move the dreadnought. As you can see, one mistake is way too costly!

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I can't wait to get my Mini later this week. It will be my first iPad and this is going to be one of the first games I get on it!

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I couldn't help but notice that you said, "one of the first games", so which game will be your first iPad game? :)

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Downloaded it again and had another go, still cant fathom it out though.
    Tbh I have no idea whats going on half the time which makes it hard to understand.

Tried looking on youtube for a 'beginners guide' but all I can find are reviews.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    What actually do you not understand about Eclipse?

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Yes thank you. You keep saying you don't get it but you aren't explaining what you're struggling with.

9. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    After rereading Mene's last post, I guess he is unsure about what is going on in Eclipse.

The aim in this game is to have the most Victory Points after 9 rounds. That is all. It is that simple.

Eclipse allows you to score these Victory Points in quite a few ways.

You do not, however, win the game by destroying your opponent's ships or seizing his territory. You also do not win the game by having the most territory.

The only thing that matters is having the most Victory Points at the end of round 9... That is Eclipse in a nutshell.

10. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Tbh I'm just thick. Perhaps if I could put my finger on exactly what my problem is, I could read up and learn but I'm not sure.

I find myself staring at the screen and countless icons wondering what the hell am I supposed to do next.

I was searching youtube in the hopes of finding something like a 'idiots guide to Eclipse' where it takes you step by step through a couple of turns and explains the main points.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    1st 3-4 rounds, research, explore and upgrade. From round 5 onwards, control the galaxy core and invade your opponents' territories to grab their high value Victory Point sectors. That is all.

Remember, there are only 6 buttons on the bottom right hand corner that you can click. The rest of the user interface is just there to show you added info...

12. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #432 MrMojoRisin, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Not sure which one will be the exact first, but I am going to get a $50 itune card, and plan to get these games with it:

Ghost stories $6
    Yggdrasil $6
    Small world $7
    Eclipse $7
    Forbidden island $5
    Titan hd $8
    Collapsible d $6
    Alien frontiers $5

I also have some universal apps for my iPhone like Ascension and Warhammer Quest (looks soooooo awesome on the Mini), but the above apps will be my first iPad only games.

With any luck, I will actually be able to get my device today! Wooooot!

13. andsoitgoes

Read the manual and ensure you've gone through the tutorial.

Have you done those things?

14. andsoitgoes

Amazing list of games. Ghost Stories is BERY challenging, Titan is really complex as is Yggdrasil (which is stunning) but the rest are absolutely perfect, though I'm not sure on Collapsible D, it's single player only which is a bit of a bummer.

The order of my favs:

Eclipse
    Small World
    Forbidden Island (a unique play on Pandemic by the same game designer)

Small World and Forbidden Island were also featured on Tabletop, which will give you a much better understanding of how the game plays.

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #435 Appletini, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Elder Sign: Omens HD! >_< (Don't go for the inferior 2x experience.)

Grab Carcassonne as well. And San Juan. And Bang! HD. Also Kingdom Builder. And Ticket to Ride.

Also, I'm holding an envelope to my forehead... I'm getting a reading...

"Tiger Wiccan"

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I wouldn't know that name... ;)

17. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Seriously you NEED to add KotoR to that list ASAP!

18. andsoitgoes

Oh duh of course!

Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are no brainers. Lost Cities, too!

And again while it isn't a board game - King of Dragon Pass is literally gaming heaven and the epitome of awesome perfection.

19. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Did the tutorial, yes. That was the first thing I did.
    Reading all the manual? No. I have to admit not, I did start but quit when my head was spinning. Haha

20. andsoitgoes

Why don't you create an online game with the title asking for help playing the game.

Play real time with someone who can walk you through the steps